Silent Hill Homecoming in a separate canon? [spoilers]

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Re: Silent Hill Homecoming in a separate canon? [spoilers]

Post by Droo »

In that case, even with the Hospital and In Water endings, it wasn't purely a fantasy of Alex's but something rather more real he was made to experience before his respective ends.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Post by rm2kking »

Travis's presence would suggest as much. People can be in the Otherworld in their minds while not in body. Examples are Helen Grady and Stanley Coleman. Possibly Leonard too. Insanity seems to be just as much of a gateway to the Otherworld as any kind of physical shift.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Droo

Post by Droo »

Or it could just be an Easter Egg of the grandest kind. I don't know about you but if I was Travis I would never ever go near Silent Hill again.
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Same here. But if he was a ghost of the Otherworld or something, he may be trapped, driving the roads around Silent Hill in his semi for eternity. Maybe he's become a kind of Charon, ferrying lost souls into Silent Hill.
There seems to be a big age inconsistency. Travis has barely aged, his hair shows no gray, yet Origins took place in 1974. It's very likely he's trapped, a manifestation/ghost, or both.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Droo

Post by Droo »

Why would he be trapped?
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

For helping Alessa to hinder the rebirth of God. This is apparently why Lisa was trapped, as stated by the developers in the Book of Lost Memories. Valtiel tortures Lisa's spirit for her role in helping Harry. This could very easily have happened to Travis as well.
Droo

Post by Droo »

But Lisa never helped Harry. She was dead by the time SH1 happened. It was a manifestation who helped Harry. Since manifestations are agents of the town, it makes sense why Valtiel would punish her for going against her role. Travis was no such apparition.
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Lisa was a real person though, and something about what she did in Origins caused her to become a manifestation in SH1, perhaps for consorting with Travis. I'm saying this could have happened with Travis as well. He was actively attempting to hinder the birth of God, whether he knew it or not, and if he got one of the bad endings, I'm sure Silent Hill would claim him. SH4 talks about being trapped and enslaved by the Otherworld if you are killed there. Granted, they were referring specifically to Walter's worlds, but I always understood that Walter manipulated the Otherworld to build those worlds, so it might be a simmilar case with Lisa and possibly Travis.
One things for certain, he's definitely not aged as much as he should have by the time of Homecoming, and he's definitely there, whether Alex experienced the whole ordeal in his mind or physically, he's there either way. This, to me, points to him being a manifestation, and begs the question as to why he would by manifested in the first place.

Also, like you said, if Travis DID escape, why the hell would he ever come within three states of Silent Hill ever again?
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I just want to point out that this is not a thread about Downpour and I'm seeing unmarked Downpour spoilers.

Let's not do that.
Droo

Post by Droo »

rm2kking wrote:Lisa was a real person though, and something about what she did in Origins caused her to become a manifestation in SH1, perhaps for consorting with Travis. I'm saying this could have happened with Travis as well. He was actively attempting to hinder the birth of God, whether he knew it or not, and if he got one of the bad endings, I'm sure Silent Hill would claim him. SH4 talks about being trapped and enslaved by the Otherworld if you are killed there. Granted, they were referring specifically to Walter's worlds, but I always understood that Walter manipulated the Otherworld to build those worlds, so it might be a simmilar case with Lisa and possibly Travis.
One things for certain, he's definitely not aged as much as he should have by the time of Homecoming, and he's definitely there, whether Alex experienced the whole ordeal in his mind or physically, he's there either way. This, to me, points to him being a manifestation, and begs the question as to why he would by manifested in the first place.

Also, like you said, if Travis DID escape, why the hell would he ever come within three states of Silent Hill ever again?
I can see the Lisa manifestation we interacted with in SH1 maybe, but not the real Lisa.
Lives in the mirror"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Like it or not, they are supposed to be the same character, but idk. There definitely is a difference in attitude. Either way, my point in bringing up Lisa is that sometimes people are trapped there as a manifestation, and that's what I think Travis is in Homecoming. I think he was punished for his interference and now he is a Charon to the Otherworld.
And, originally, my point in bringing up Travis is that no matter what the circumstances of his appearance in Homecoming, he was real. Whether Alex actually went to Silent Hill or it was all in his head, Travis was present, which suggest he is independent of Alex even if it was all in his head, because how would Alex know who Travis was. Travis's presence, in any case, connects the game to Origins, encapsulating it in the same universe Team Silent set up all those years ago.

Travis is my argument for the cannonicity of Homecoming.
Last edited by rm2kking on 02 Apr 2012, edited 1 time in total.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Canonicity, not cannonicality.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Adversary, your post adds nothing to the conversation. I appreciate the correction, but please say something of worth.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The trucker isn't actually Travis because it was stated nowhere in the actual game.

Problem re:Travis solved.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

It is intended to be Travis, Aura. It's obvious. The man drives a truck. His outfit when unlocked as a costume for Alex is called "Big Rig Alex." He was meant to be a new character nicknamed "the Hunter", but it was scrapped and reused as a Travis cameo. It is undoubtedly Travis. Do not try to tell me it isn't.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

Droo wrote:
Cyrus Hanley wrote: Unless he can time travel, no.
Why is that?
The modernity of the Overlook Penitentiary.

Actually, scratch that, that's based on how it appeared in Homecoming and not Downpour (I don't know how different or similar it is).
rm2kking wrote:Same here. But if he was a ghost of the Otherworld or something, he may be trapped, driving the roads around Silent Hill in his semi for eternity. Maybe he's become a kind of Charon, ferrying lost souls into Silent Hill.
Why would Travis have a ghost driving around Maine?

Travis in Homecoming is never seen in Silent Hill. Only in the real world/fog world (whatever you interpret it to be) and on the way to Shepherd's Glen (and then in Shepherd's Glen itself).
rm2kking wrote: There seems to be a big age inconsistency. Travis has barely aged, his hair shows no gray, yet Origins took place in 1974.
Travis doesn't need graying hair to show age.

The devil's in the detail. For one thing, there's his hands.

And he's gained weight. See the comparison between 1976 Travis and 2007 Travis below.
rm2kking wrote:It's very likely he's trapped, a manifestation/ghost, or both.
How is he trapped? Why is he trapped?

If he's a manifestation or ghost, then that has the implication that the real Travis is dead (like Lisa). I can accept that Silent Hill can appropriate the physical appearances of people (like with Howard) but there's no indication that Travis is a manifestation.

The real Lisa Garland was already dead when Harry met her manifestation and Howard Blackwood in Downpour is obviously not a mortal man. We can't say that Travis is a manifestation just because he gave Alex a ride to Shepherd's Glen. It's coincidence.
rm2kking wrote:For helping Alessa to hinder the rebirth of God. This is apparently why Lisa was trapped, as stated by the developers in the Book of Lost Memories. Valtiel tortures Lisa's spirit for her role in helping Harry. This could very easily have happened to Travis as well.
Which page?
rm2kking wrote:Either way, my point in bringing up Lisa is that sometimes people are trapped there as a manifestation, and that's what I think Travis is in Homecoming. I think he was punished for his interference and now he is a Charon to the Otherworld.
Who or what is punishing him?
rm2kking wrote:It is intended to be Travis, Aura. It's obvious. The man drives a truck. His outfit when unlocked as a costume for Alex is called "Big Rig Alex." He was meant to be a new character nicknamed "the Hunter", but it was scrapped and reused as a Travis cameo. It is undoubtedly Travis. Do not try to tell me it isn't.
Also, Kenzie LaMar seems to think he's Travis.

rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I'm merely speculating, Cyrus, I am by no means advocating this to be the truth.
As for what could theoretically be punishing him, the same forces that punish Lisa, maybe. Btw, Lisa's fate mentioned at the bottom of page 93, entitled VII: The Chariot. She is represented by the fu ku ro lady that Valtiel is sometimes seen torturing.
Cyrus Hanley wrote:Image
Look at that outfit! There's no way that's not Travis. It's literally the same exact outfit.
Last edited by rm2kking on 02 Apr 2012, edited 4 times in total.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

There are some brilliant nods to Homecoming in Downpour. Being a big Homecoming fan it really made me smile.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

DistantJ wrote:There are some brilliant nods to Homecoming in Downpour. Being a big Homecoming fan it really made me smile.
Same here. I enjoyed Homecoming. Fact is, my copy was stolen and I'm supremely irritated because it is now the only Silent Hill game I do not currently own, and represents a gaping hole in my Silent Hill collection.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

@Cyrus, Here's a screenshot of the Lisa section I mention in the Book of Lost Memories: