Silent Hill Homecoming in a separate canon? [spoilers]

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Re: Silent Hill Homecoming in a separate canon? [spoilers]

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

rm2kking wrote:
Cyrus Hanley wrote:Image
Look at that outfit! There's no way that's not Travis. It's literally the same exact outfit.
It's not the exact same outfit, but they are very similar.
rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Post by rm2kking »

It's the same outfit but not the same clothes. I'm sure Travis has different flannels and changes his clothing, and many hat-wearers have multiple hats. The vest looks like it was meant to be the same one with updated graphics. The only other differences are the rolled up sleeves on the Origins Travis and the exposed undershirt on the Homecoming Travis.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

rm2kking wrote:It's the same outfit but not the same clothes. I'm sure Travis has different flannels and changes his clothing, and many hat-wearers have multiple hats. The vest looks like it was meant to be the same one with updated graphics. The only other differences are the rolled up sleeves on the Origins Travis and the exposed undershirt on the Homecoming Travis.
You used the word "literally" so I interpreted your post to say he is wearing the very exact same clothes he wore in Origins (only presumably washed). If you didn't mean that, then perhaps don't use the word "literally" next time.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I said literally the same outfit, not same clothing. Same outfit, meaning brown work boots, blue jeans, plaid flannel shirt, puffy vest and trucker hat.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It is intended to be Travis, Aura. It's obvious. The man drives a truck. His outfit when unlocked as a costume for Alex is called "Big Rig Alex." He was meant to be a new character nicknamed "the Hunter", but it was scrapped and reused as a Travis cameo. It is undoubtedly Travis. Do not try to tell me it isn't.
How in the hell does any of that conclusively lead to "It's Travis"? You make it sound like he's literally the only trucker in the world.

"The man drives a truck"? Seriously?
Look at that outfit! There's no way that's not Travis. It's literally the same exact outfit.
Aw shit, man. Stereotypical truckers wearing the stereotypical trucker outfit they always wear in popular characters when they're nameless two-dimensional side-characters.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

^Yet in a video game where a character's appearence is determined by the creators, it's highly unlikely they would make him resemble a previous character in the series so precisely with very minimal changes unless it was supposed to be that character. So it is kind of rediculous to say that it isn't Travis.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I think the idea is that it could or couldn't be Travis. Like, to anybody new to the series it's a trucker. To fans, there's a 'hey it's Travis!' moment. I mean Alex needn't have even been dropped off by a trucker, let alone one who dresses and looks like Travis. Is it supposed to be Travis himself? Probably, but his resemblance is absolutely not just some co-incidence, I think it's supposed to be that it COULD be Travis, he'd probably grow a beard and gain some weight in 20 plus years, and that gives them a little margin to play with it a little. We're SUPPOSED to speculate on whether it's him or not.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

While either scenario could be valid, I like to think it was him. The idea that he's still trucking around the vicinity of Silent Hill, or trucking at all, says a lot about his character, and it's not even his game.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

^Yet in a video game where a character's appearence is determined by the creators, it's highly unlikely they would make him resemble a previous character in the series so precisely with very minimal changes unless it was supposed to be that character. So it is kind of rediculous to say that it isn't Travis.
Even though he looked nearly the exact same when he was planned to be a hunter.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

@Aura
You're serious then? He may have started out as another character, but it's clear the intent for his appearance in homecoming was a Travis cameo. It's not just "steriotypical trucker" clothes, it's the same outfit. he's wearing the same vest.
wonder's boy wrote:The idea that he's still trucking around the vicinity of Silent Hill, or trucking at all, says a lot about his character, and it's not even his game.
^Exactly

Travis is a character defined by his profession. He's a trucker, he drives a truck. It's even built into his monsters, endings, and attitude. So a character nearly identical to Travis driving a truck in a Silent Hill game is likely Travis.

I'm aware there are many truckers, but you honestly seem to be disagreeing to disagree. Either that or you really don't think it's Travis, which is fine. I don't care. But I think it is Travis, and no amount of your insulting attempts to pummel me into agreement will alter my opinion.

I seriously don't appreciate your constant implying that people who disagree with you or don't know some tidbit of Silent Hill lore are idiots. This place is hostile enough without you treating people like fools for petty disagreements over mundane issues.

As far as I'm concerned, the man in the truck was, without a shadow of a doubt, Travis Grady.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

And you're probably right. I'm only saying that there's nothing in the game that actually says it's Travis, and nothing really supports it except for Developer commentary. That being said, since the creators of Homecoming have demonstrated a poor grasp of Silent Hill's mythos, and the Travis cameo offers no substance while raising problems, I'm forwarding that it can be ignored if people choose to. "It's not Travis Grady" is an entirely valid statement, just like the reverse.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I agree. I haven't owned Homecoming for years (it was stolen), and I just bought it again to complete my collection, and playing it again after so much time, I realize anew just how mediocre it is.
...the Travis cameo offers no substance while raising problems
Wonderful way to put it. That's exactly it too. Origins came out more or less at the same time as Homecoming, so they just threw a cameo in there to recycle The Hunter after he was scrapped. If anything it was a half-intentional marketing ploy. I enjoyed the connection, and I still use it in my arguments for the cannonicity of Homecoming, but you are right when you say it is without substance, because it truly is. I interpret it as, if not a marketing thing, then a nod toward Origins, and even with all the things I don't like about Homecoming, I can still appreciate that.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

AuraTwilight wrote:I'm forwarding that it can be ignored if people choose to. "It's not Travis Grady" is an entirely valid statement, just like the reverse.
Exactly, it's an easter egg, not important canon. Nobody's going to add 'Travis then took Alexander Shepherd to Shepherd's Glen' to their Travis biography, but it's just a nice moment in the game that makes you smile.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

DistantJ wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:I'm forwarding that it can be ignored if people choose to. "It's not Travis Grady" is an entirely valid statement, just like the reverse.
Exactly, it's an easter egg, not important canon. Nobody's going to add 'Travis then took Alexander Shepherd to Shepherd's Glen' to their Travis biography, but it's just a nice moment in the game that makes you smile.
Alex, not Alexander.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

How'd that happen? Must have been autocorrect on my tablet or something.
Claudia_Wolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Claudia_Wolf »

Can anyone tell me if what i say in my new topic can be considered to this theory of SH: H being in the movie canon? : http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24895
Any criticism is appreciated :) since i dont really know if what i say could happen.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Frankly, the idea of it being in the movie canon is ridiculous. All Homecoming shares with the movie are a few aesthetic details. The game's story heavily references past games, including 1 and 3.
Leopold
Just Passing Through

Post by Leopold »

Its excuse is that the killer switched clothes with a security guard and put his J5 covers mask on him.
Last edited by Leopold on 14 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

...Wrong thread, man?