Monster / Character / Location Symbolism

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: Monster / Character / Location Symbolism

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^I'm thinking B. I don't think he's trapped in Silent Hill. I believe in Past Life (I haven't read it, but I've seen some posts concerning it) where he chooses to become part of the town? Someone else can post the actually quote, dialogue, or whatever. I think he's merely a manifestation of the town as a guide for you. He doesn't seem like he's trapped. He knows what's going on and he doesn't seem frantic about it (like DJ Ricks, who I think fits the criteria of A). I think his job is to lead people, so it could be very possible that he sent the letter to James in SH2. He's leading people in the right direction towards Silent Hill and through it, I believe.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

About Howard
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
In Past Life, it shows that he was a slave who killed his master and ended up in Silent Hill. He refers to arriving in the town as one of his good memories.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't remember that. Can you point out the exact issue so I can check?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

It was in issue 3.
TransientJetlag
Just Passing Through

Post by TransientJetlag »

I just read past life, and it doesn't really explicitly say that
howard killed his master
anywhere? It just has a part where
Jeb asked him if he's killed anybody, and he says yes, because he had to, it doesn't go into anymore detail than that
What a bad comic though. Just awful, why even attach the silent hill name to this? Need to get this Tom fella away from the series, just garbage.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Well...
You see a guy beating Howard with a whip, and you then see him slitting his throat. Seems kind of obvious to me what is going on given the time period. Although the SH wiki is convinced Howard was a slave driver... :roll:
And the negativity isn't appreciated.
Last edited by KiramidHead on 01 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

KiramidHead wrote:Well...
You see a guy beating Howard with a whip, and you then see him slitting his throat. Seems kind of obvious to me what is going given the time period.
And the negativity isn't appreciated.
Completely agreeing with this. There's a difference between expressing your dislike and outright insulting something, which you did also in the impressions thread.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What a bad comic though. Just awful, why even attach the silent hill name to this? Need to get this Tom fella away from the series, just garbage.
You can just leave this entire sub-forum if you're going to be so nasty.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I have just started SH4 again, & I noticed that the mannequin in the female bathroom of the Subway World has its forearms stained red, just like the Dolls in Downpour.

I wonder if there's a connection, or maybe the design of the Dolls were merely inspired by that specific mannequin?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

There's a bleeding mannequin in SH3, too, and of course let's not forget the Mannequin enemies of SH2. There's just something inherently creepy about a non-living thing oozing blood like a creature.
TransientJetlag
Just Passing Through

Post by TransientJetlag »

Sorry, didn't mean to come off so harsh lol.

I think part of the problem, for me at least, is the building of more backstory into the canon. For a mythology that spawned from a game that really emphasized the experience over the story in the first place (the first game) adding all this new stuff to the lore is going into the direction of explaining all the mystery away, and it feels like it's becoming a parody of itself.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, that's pretty much my main fear about what they might be doing with characters like Howard, but Downpour is still one of the best games since the originals, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. It already made Homecoming non-canon, so rock on.
AyaKara
Just Passing Through

Post by AyaKara »

Wait, Aura, how did it make Homecoming non-canon? While reading the photos & documents, I was under the impression that Homecoming was then made canon because of Downpour. I also read somewhere else that it makes 0rigins canon as well, though I don't remember where, and would be disappointed if it were true.
Last edited by AyaKara on 06 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I have no idea what you're talking about with Origins, but the fact that Downpour contradicts Homecoming on matters such as geography creates a mutual exclusiveness. So I feel like we can drop Homecoming like a hot potato.

References don't mean anything; Shattered Memories made assloads of connections to other games even though it's in a separate universe.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

It could have just retconned Homecoming's map, couldn't it have? They do show the Shepherd House.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Quiet, you, I'm trying to enact historical revisionism to suit my personal interests. :P
Thommy Razor
Just Passing Through

Post by Thommy Razor »

Aura, you had a theory (jokingly) in a different thread about Alex being an obsessed SH fan incorporating things from the games and movie into his own delusions, allowing for plot-holes and retcons galore, and to this day that's the only one I can get to make sense. :)
Huh. Radio. Whats going on with that radio?
AyaKara
Just Passing Through

Post by AyaKara »

AuraTwilight wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about with Origins, but the fact that Downpour contradicts Homecoming on matters such as geography creates a mutual exclusiveness. So I feel like we can drop Homecoming like a hot potato.

References don't mean anything; Shattered Memories made assloads of connections to other games even though it's in a separate universe.
Although Shattered Memories does make a lot of references, they're . . . different than the ones that Downpour makes. Aren't there references to Homecoming in actual in-game memos about the town's history in the library? Such as, isn't 'Holloway' the name of one of the colonists in the library's tomes? That's where I'm confused on whether Homecoming is made canon. :?
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

There are so many references to Homecoming in Downpour that, in my opinion, it's a huge stretch to say the game is non-canon. The desire is understandable but mostly unfounded.

I can't speak for the devs, but it seems almost like there was a conscious push to confirm that Homecoming actually happened. There were just so many nods to it, one after the other. There weren't nearly as many explicit references to the older games. I'm willing to guess that Homecoming was just retconned, if anything. And Silent Hill is so malleable that the inconsistencies don't even really matter in the first place.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

Does it says anywhere (in some memo) that the prison is in the middle of toluca lake?

And also, what are the references to homecoming in downpour? I can only think of that painting in the library
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...