Why BoM WON'T kill the series

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Why BoM WON'T kill the series

Post by Typographenia »

Hydra666 wrote:The game could have been good if it was horror-oriented, with weak characters, few ammo, etc.. because the whole gameplay and concept looks fun but they ruined it.
You already played it?
That's impressive.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I think it's a strange twist of fate that I, someone who has always hated the fact that Pyramid Head has become a series mascot and appears outside of SH2 (to the point where I believe one of the very first conversations I had when i first joined here was a huge fight about how the Pyramid Head of SH2 exists only for James and even if there can be other creatures based on the same appearance it's lame to do so so they shouldn't), am one of the few people who don't really mind him being used here. I mean, they are bringing back tons of monsters with specific symbolism to unique situations or people. It's not like it's only Pyramid Head. I maintain faith that there will be a good story-driven reason why all these monsters are appearing outside of their game.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I maintain faith that there will be a good story-driven reason why all these monsters are appearing outside of their game.
Everything's connected to the UFO endings. DUN DUN DUN.

Seriously though, saying that this game (that doesn't have anything to do with the main story) will kill the whole series is a childish argument indeed.

And this arcade formula, that many loves to spit on, is what make this game unique and interesting. That and the character creation.

Can't wait to see the reviews. I know that maybe Konami and WF signed a contract for this game to be only for the VITA since it's a new handheld and it need games yada yada, but I'd love to hear that this game will be jumping on both "hi-tech" consoles of this gen.
GCNavigator
Just Passing Through

Post by GCNavigator »

A different direction is what Silent Hill needs, what Silent Hill Book of Memories is doing is perfect and I personally think it is a fantastic idea!
I will pick this one up for my Playstation Vita, the change in direction is something I like and people should enjoy the creativity put into this one. Its arcade like gameplay, online play is a nice addition and character creation is extra icing on the cake. Why some fans don`t embrace change is a shame.

Good job on the new ideas! :)

MOD EDIT: Before anyone gets excited, this isn't really Guy. It's a fake account someone with way too much time set up.
My Twitter http://www.twitter.com/guycihi
My YouTube http://www.youtube.com/gcnavigator
My Facebook http://www.facebook.com/guy.cihi
My Tumblr http://www.guycihi.tumblr.com
My PSN ID: GCNavigator
Feel free to get in contact with me from the above links or private message on here.

...8)... I`m no match for Triangle Boy! ...8)... Image
0uiled
Just Passing Through

Post by 0uiled »

I believe once Book of Memories has it's time people may be a little more open for a new game for the main series or maybe a remake of 1.
Silent Hill is like a living thing and the fans are it's blood.
Silent Hill will lose blood time to time but it won't die that easily.
It can still make new blood.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I'm sure the game will be entertaining, but i'm not sure they should spend their resources on a remake which is basically the same game with updated visuals....and Harry's line.."Hmm..radio?....what's wrong with that radio?"...and the awkward voice acting never gets old...:D
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I'm kind of excited for Book of Memories. Shattered Memories and Downpour renewed my faith in the games after 0rigins kicked it really hard in the balls and Homecoming gave it a small band-aid like that would help anything. It's definitely different, but I've got this unreasonable attraction to customizability and let's not pretend tons of fans at least once wanted to experience the Otherworld for themselves, even if it was a completely ridiculous notion.

It's something people have been asking for for a long time without even knowing it.

On the matter of a Silent Hill 1 remake, though, I'm all for it. Not just because OMG YAY PRETTY UPDATED GRAPHICS AND VOICE ACTING AND CONTROLS, those are all perks. My main hope for a remake, as unrealistic as it is, actually has to do with a great deal of newer fans (and even some older ones) disregarding SH1 entirely because it "hasn't aged well", and also because it's damn expensive online now, not to mention a bit hard to find. It'd allow people to experience it for the first time easily and maybe spark more interest. From a marketing stand point, though, it's a rather dubious proposition.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Grieving Sparrow
Just Passing Through

Post by Grieving Sparrow »

I don't believe this will kill the series but I am not a fan of it either. I will reserve final judgement until I play it obviously but, I am just not sure I am a fan of the multiplayer aspect of it. Where is the fear in a multiplayer experience. Plus, Silent Hill is all about taking what is in someone's psyche and turning against them to help them overcome some horror in their life, usually their past.

I guess I am just not a fan of the idea of multiplayer and I am really waiting for the next main game in the series.

Although having realized that it is going to be a spinoff title of sorts and not part of the main series, has made me lighten up a bit on my original distain for the title.

I will play it before I judge it fully. After all it is still Silent Hill, and I am a sucker for just about anything Silent Hill. ^_^
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

i'm really not gonna play silent hill games anymore. they used to be fun, but vatra/climax kinda ruined it.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
0uiled
Just Passing Through

Post by 0uiled »

CandyLander wrote:i'm really not gonna play silent hill games anymore. they used to be fun, but vatra/climax kinda ruined it.
Yes, you don't like some games but that doesn't they ruined anything.
If that were true the series would have end a long time ago but it didn't.
Silent Hill is like a living thing and the fans are it's blood.
Silent Hill will lose blood time to time but it won't die that easily.
It can still make new blood.
Kompwars
Just Passing Through

Post by Kompwars »

Book of memories looks pretty fun, so I might get it if I get enough money to buy a vita :P

BoM better have good puzzles though, Origins, SM, and downpour had horrible puzzles
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Downpour and Origins had plenty of decent puzzles, in my opinion.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

All three of those games took slightly different takes on puzzles from what I remember. I played the Wii version of SM, too, so it felt like a lot of the puzzles there were geared towards that console's features. Played PS2 Origins, and it felt like the puzzles would've been a lot cooler on a PSP.

Downpour's were definitely more geared for the console, and they were some of the best I've seen in a while. God, that Hansel and Gretel puzzle in the orphanage. So simple, yet very beyond itself in terms of what it accomplished.

I don't know much about BoM, but I'm going to guess that the puzzles may be geared towards the multiplayer aspect, and that players will have to collaborate to accomplish them.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Anyone here thinks we might have a chance to get a console port for BOM? I could totally see this game on the PS store. I don't really feel like buying a vita anyway.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I don't see BoM having complex puzzles.
It seems geared towards cooperative multiplayer, and it's a dungeon-crawler, so It'll probably be a very fast paced and combat driven game. Very difficult puzzles would slow the gameplay down too much, which isn't good for what BoM is going to be.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I find it amazing that after that E3 video that anyone still thinks this game might somehow be good.

I think the best thing to do is to treat this like the Arcade, the Orphan games, and the first several comic stories and just pretend they don't exist.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ Why don't you add the SH1 Play Novel to that list of yours, too?

The trailer was lacking indeed, but a video review will cover pretty much everything.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

I don't even see why BoM got its own section in the forum since it's a simple spin-off title. Why not put then Orfan and the Arcade in, too.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ Probably because very few played it. Therefore discussions wouldn't even happen apart from "What this game looks like?" and Youtube is there for a reason. I guess...
Droo

Post by Droo »

I think we used to have a section for the Arcade, although it's possible I'm hallucinating.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"