Monster / Character / Location Symbolism

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Monster / Character / Location Symbolism

Post by thy_butcher »

Just saying... the more I see them, the more I like Downpour's monsters.

B.t.w., I know most Juggalo's are less than intelligent (I've experienced it firsthand on many occasions), but I'm one of the good ones. :)
Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadowgate »

Any significance blue candles?
I put this in my sig since they buried my topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOryCXhu_Y
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

I just realized this about a scene in the orphanage. It mind sound kind of stupid though.There's a moment in the orphanage when a little girl (who might be Anne) sings the itsy bitsy spider song. But here's the thing. The girl didn't finish the song. She only sang "the itsy bitsy spider went up the waterspout, down came the rain
and washed the spider out". She didn't sing the part that gives kind of a "happy ending" to the song, because the spider kept going up the waterspout. So if you look, you'll see that, this little girl sang a song about water (rain) taking down (killing) the spider, just like what happened to charlie. Charlie is the spider.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadowgate »

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
If I did not kill the wheelchair guy why is he the last bossand trying to kill me.
Why do I see him everywhere?
I put this in my sig since they buried my topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOryCXhu_Y
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

Shadowgate wrote:
If I did not kill the wheelchair guy why is he the last bossand trying to kill me.
you didn't kill him but it's kind of your fault he died. I mean, you saw him being murdered and didn't stop it. At least that's what I think. And the reason why you see him before you actually know that frank had to stay in a weelchair for years before he died is because he is a manifestation of Anne's mind, not Murphy's (again, at least I think so)
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadowgate »

I had fun with the game but the more I think about the story the weaker it gets lol
Maybe it was meant to let go of things that are out of your control. He could not cave charlie or frank but neither one was his fault.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Depending on your preferred ending, Murphy could've killed Frank; so yeah, that'd certainly be his fault.
Murphy could still be somewhat to blame even if he hadn't killed Frank. After the incident with Napier, Murphy owed Sewell a favor; to kill once again during a planned prison riot. Murphy could've bit the bullet and denied Sewell. If that happened, maybe there would have been no riot & Frank would have possibly been spared that horrible fate.
Nightmareish Waltzer
Just Passing Through

Post by Nightmareish Waltzer »

Was there a viable chance for Murphy to save Frank from Sewell without getting bludgeoned to death, though?
There's a hole in the wall. Naturally, the smart and sane thing to do would be to stick your hand inside it or crawl through it.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I was just thinking, maybe what Murphy says during the first Otherworld transition is in reference to SH4; "What the hell IS this!?"
It's Murphy showing Henry Townsend how to deliver a line. Haha :)
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

CandyLander wrote:
Shadowgate wrote:
you didn't kill him but it's kind of your fault he died. I mean, you saw him being murdered and didn't stop it. At least that's what I think. And the reason why you see him before you actually know that frank had to stay in a weelchair for years before he died is because he is a manifestation of Anne's mind, not Murphy's (again, at least I think so)
Uh Murphy killed Frank. I believe on one of the other forums Tomm said this.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

No. In two of the endings Murphy didn't kill Frank. That's why his daughter doesn't kill you.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

Number 7 wrote:No. In two of the endings Murphy didn't kill Frank. That's why his daughter doesn't kill you.
My fault I forgot about Sewell.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

In the movie theater sidequest, is that Murphy's house?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's very much implied to be, since the same house appears in the playable flashback to Charlie's death where you fight the Boogeyman.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I don't know about that. I'd think if Murphy was suddenly transported back to his own home, he'd have had something to say about it.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I'm not so sure about that. Murphy out of all the SH main characters had strikingly little to say about his surroundings. Even Henry had a more compelling internal monologue.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

I had the impression that it might have been Napier's house, given the ominous names of the film reels and the spliced film. :?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Actually, yea, that probably makes more sense. Napier drowning Charlie in what is essentially his own back yard explains some things.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

:shock: Mindblown.

That makes a lot of sense. I can't believe I overlooked that possibility.
I hate that about myself. ;)

EDIT: I thought the car with the raised hood was indicative of it being Murphy's residence. Maybe the car is at the next house over, which would match up with Napier being Murphy's neighbor.
silentmumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by silentmumbler »

Disclaimer: These are my opinions. If you disagree, i don't particularly care. I will respect your opinions as long as you respect mine.

I think the dolls actually represent Charlie. The idea of the doll being a victim of rape or something similar would kinda work here, but that's not what i have in mind. I see the doll as a memory, an idealized still image of the past tainted with stains of blood and a tortured, gasping expression. The shadows in this case would be Murphy's grief, an invisible enemy he futilely tries to beat down. In this frenzy, the idealized memory of Charlie fractures more and more until all that is left is a broken mess.

The weeping bat I see as having both geographic significance and symbolic meaning. geographically, the weeping bat represents a species unique to the cave system. Symbolically, I feel the need to follow the idea of solitude. However, I see it more as the result of solitude. When left in complete isolation for a long time, or when you have removed yourself from society as Murphy did, it is not unusual to begin feeling as though everyone is out to get you, or feel like some unforeseeable doom is hanging over your head.Or it could simply be the feeling of excruciating loneliness. You can pretend that you don't need anyone, but loneliness can strike out of nowhere, and it's a crippling feeling. imagine you finally managed to kill your son's murderer. The world will shun you. You feel that you did the right thing, that everyone else is monstrous for wanting the murderer to live, yet you still feel the hurt from time to time of absolute loneliness and being separated from the ones you loved. Like in Crime and Punishment.

Prisoners are kinda a given.

I see the screamer as a representation of murphy's wife (shocking, i know). When you first encounter the screamer, Murphy is quick to defend her, only to be attacked soon after. To me, this represents Murphy's attempt to console his wife after Charlie's death, but she either blamed him or rejected his proposed "solution" of dealing with Napier. Either way, she becomes a monster to Murphy since all he thinks is she doesn't care enough to want revenge. Only from afar can he see the rocking, mourning, and twisting she endures.

The wall monsters to me show Murphy's belief that the people around him were simply obstacles in his path of revenge. the poison/acid they spew could show that he considered their judgments and advice to be poisonous and not to be listened to.

Am i missing any normal monsters?

Edit: My disclaimer doesn't mean don't disprove me. It just means don't throw me under a bus simply because my ideas differ from yours. If you can disprove me, please do.