Is Downpour scary?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

fudgestix

Re: Is Downpour scary?

Post by fudgestix »

^Nope. Although, I don't recall having to sit through any particularly long ones more than once, and I died quite frequently in the void chases... :c lol
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

The atmosphere is definitely scary, and I did jump a few times
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The first was in the basement of a side quest with the child crying. I picked up the gun and all of a sudden I was being attacked by a ghost that I could barely see and could not kill.
In the prison, a random part of the floor suddenly dropped a bit
In the prison, when I believe Sewell and some rioters started coming towards me
I didn't get scared by this, but the flume ride was creepy and very enjoyable
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't really find my first playthrough of Downpour scary and that makes me a sad panda. I dunno, I played through the series beginning with Origins before I played Downpour, so maybe I didn't find it really scare or unsettling because I had the earlier games to compare it to. I mean, sure, I can understand why some may find it scary, but I just wasn't feeling it. This isn't to say there weren't a few parts that were unsettling and made me stare at the screen in anticipation, but they were very rare.

Also, I should note that, for me, the monsters and their designs/sounds of the other games play a big factor on what makes them so scary, and since Downpour had some shitty excuses for enemies then that may play a factor. So, perhaps, if the monsters were better designed then perhaps this wouldn't be the issue. But then I think about it, and even the Otherworld wasn't really scary, just...interesting and pretty.

Anyway, in short, I enjoyed the game, but was it scary? Not really. I don't really expect to be scared by newer Silent Hill's anyway. Nowadays I just hope for a good atmosphere and a well-done plotline, and I think Downpour was satisfactory in that sense.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Ben
Just Passing Through

Post by Ben »

I have almost completed this game and I can say it's a great game! Very well thought out, as are all Silent Hills.

I think the scare factor depends on the person, I know I myself have jumped a few times, but mainly when I have got a combination right on a safe and the bugger just clicks straight away without that usual "du-dun" noise things make when you have done something correct in the other games.

One monster in particular freaked me out and that was the Doll, mainly for the fact how she attacks and how you kill her, but other than that I was let down on scare factor when it came to such things like the Screamer and the Boogeyman, I would of loved Pyramid Head and the Nurses to be back than have those guys!

But they worked with the storyline and what they stood for I suppose.
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

I didn't find it that scary at all, to be honest. Only experienced two actual scares. The monsters sucked HARD, and I found myself feeling bored half the time. So, needless to say, it was a let-down.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Lahkesis wrote:I didn't find it that scary at all, to be honest. Only experienced two actual scares. The monsters sucked HARD, and I found myself feeling bored half the time. So, needless to say, it was a let-down.

That was kind of vague.. care to elaborate a little?
revalations 23:16
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

SHACKled89451 wrote:
Lahkesis wrote:I didn't find it that scary at all, to be honest. Only experienced two actual scares. The monsters sucked HARD, and I found myself feeling bored half the time. So, needless to say, it was a let-down.

That was kind of vague.. care to elaborate a little?
Not to sound lazy, but I really don't feel like it. I just didn't care for the game.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

it hardly scared me. The entire nightmare world, with the slides and those blades, and the void, was really lame. It sounded more like Crash Bandicoot than Silent Hill for me
Last edited by CandyLander on 13 Jun 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

CandyLander wrote:[In my first and second playtrough, it hardly scared me.

The entire nightmare world, with the slides and those blades, and the void, was really lame. It sounded more like Crash Bandicoot than Silent Hill for me
I felt more panicky during the slides than the chase sequences!
Kompwars
Just Passing Through

Post by Kompwars »

Downpour wasn't scary at all.

But when you think about it, none of the silent hill games really scared me that much...I was scared to play my first Sh game, but I got used to it. I just play the games cuz they're fun and I like the design and stuff.
arthurdepr
Just Passing Through

Post by arthurdepr »

I haven't played the game yet. :( I'm not a console owner, but I intend to buy one at the end of the year. Anyway, I think I would be pleased if it had those moments when you feel uneasy, with all that tension surrounding you. Hell, is it scarier than Shattered Memories? Because, I mean, SM hardly made me uncomfortable, but it was a very good game, though I missed that feeling.
~ Evil shall with evil be expelled. ~
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I think it's scarier than SM. The chase scenes in SM are more instense, but overall, Downpour is scarier. It's not really that frightening, but there are certain areas where the atmosphere is just too creepy.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

Not in the slightest I am no softie but I would at least like to feel a bit scared.

None of the games scared me that much but they all had moments where I could feel my heart beating I haven't had that once in Downpour.

And you had no fear of death because it automatically saved 2 minutes ago. When you have a whole morning of game play behind you since the last save chase sequences can be a bit more tense.
What's the big deal - Laura
LiquidSky
Just Passing Through

Post by LiquidSky »

This game terrifies me, I haven't even finished it yet, I can't play it alone and even with someone I'm still on edge, haha!
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

I agree that it is all around scarier than SM. As I have said to a few people none of the other SH games make me feel as uneasy as Downpour. I watched Calamity do a play through a few months ago. Watching her play made me uneasy but it's nothing like how I'm feeling now that I'm going through it myself.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

Walking across planks is the scariest thing about the game.
What's the big deal - Laura
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I think the problem with the game is that the environnements are too wide and there's too much light.

The only parts where I was scared was while exploring the apts and the houses. Why? Because it was narrow and dark. Silent Hill locations used to have no light or electricity at all, we only had a flashlight as a source of light (that doesn't inclues SH4 where the locations have no direct link to silent hill town)
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

The Centennial Building had some narrow areas and nice camera angles which led to tension for me.

And I agree about the dark areas. That basement of the house where you meet the first
doll
was crazy.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

I would say that Downpour is less a scary game, and more a game with very creepy moments. For example, the scenes in the Centenniel Building's library/archives, where
the dolls creep around, running by quickly and cackling in the background, are some of the scariest moments in the series, IMO.
Asphyxia606
Just Passing Through

Post by Asphyxia606 »

There's that house you can wander into near the beginning of the game, the one with the missing girl milk jug. Other than that, not a whole lot of scares.
Previous SHH Accounts - BlackFire, BlackFire2