Why BoM WON'T kill the series

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn
Gravedigger

Re: Why BoM WON'T kill the series

Post by Glenn »

I'm OK with this game as it is a spinoff. If it sells enough, who knows, it may just influence the series to go in a new direction.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

Hydra666 wrote:It doesn't changes the fact that they look like clowns.
Image 1 looks like an updated Heather, Image 2 looks like an updated Vincent, and Image 3 looks like an updated Eddie. At least when it comes to clothes.

Image 4 can be the updated Claudia. ; )
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

Typographenia wrote:
Hydra666 wrote:It doesn't changes the fact that they look like clowns.
Image 1 looks like an updated Heather, Image 2 looks like an updated Vincent, and Image 3 looks like an updated Eddie. At least when it comes to clothes.

Image 4 can be the updated Claudia. ; )
Lol. Could be a Shattered Memories' Dahlia too. :)
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

AuraTwilight wrote:You realize those are all just extreme examples, right?
They're still prime examples of what kind of clothing our own characters will be offered to choose from in the create-a-character mode. They all look like 17 year olds. It works for Heather, but not this.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Jonipoon wrote:It works for Heather, but not this.
Why is Heather the exception?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

They all look like 17 year olds.
That's because they are. The characters are teenagers who are willing to recklessly rewrite their lives. That's the setup.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

^Heather is the main protagonist of SH3, that's why it works. She's an original character.

By giving players the limited choice of being a teenager only, they will fail to attract other audiences. What if I want to play as an old hag?

(Great discussing with you again btw Aura)
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Jonipoon wrote:By giving players the limited choice of being a teenager only, they will fail to attract other audiences. What if I want to play as an old hag?
What? What?

Since when has anyone ever been interested in a game but decided not to buy it because the variation in the character creator didn't let them play an old or young enough avatar?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No other Silent Hill even gives you a choice in your character, so that's not really a valid complaint. Especially since Book of Memories DOES HAVE A PLOT, even if it ends up bare bones, which very much might justify and require the characters are teenagers as part of the premise.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Droo

Post by Droo »

If the character is supposed to be ME, I don't know why they're forcing me to play as a 17 year old who fits into a generic high school archetype like jock or nerd.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

Droo wrote:If the character is supposed to be ME, I don't know why they're forcing me to play as a 17 year old who fits into a generic high school archetype like jock or nerd.
Hey Droo, thanks for chiming in.

The characters are actually college-aged. Not only does this fit into our primary demographic, but it serves another purpose. If the player is below this age (shame on them for ignoring the ESRB rating, right?) it's an age they aspire to be. If they are older, this is an age that they've experienced and can relate to. Our culture highly idealizes this age-range, so it makes sense to set characters in this setting to get the widest possible appeal.

It's also the first time most of us are "free" to live our lives how we'd want. We begin to shape ourselves as adults. this ties in thematically to the storyline.

Speaking of storyline, there is one. If we allowed you to be a 10 year old boy or a 69 year old woman, there's no possible way we could weave a story that would account for all possible characters and still be coherant and natural. For all the people clamoring "SH has to have a complex story or it's not SH this game won't have any Tomm is lying BoM fail", it's troubling to see suggestions like this.

Would the fanbase rather have an innovative storyline or the option to be an old hag?

EDIT: ah, Jonipoon wanted to be an old hag. Still applies.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Don't take that option off the table in any future titles, though. ; )
Droo

Post by Droo »

I don't know very many college-aged people who still subscribe to the idea of groups such as "jock", "goth", and "nerd", unless maybe they're literally just-out-of-high-school.

I get that the idea is to create classes to give it an RPG flavour, but it seems a bit at odds with the supposed ages of the characters. Just a minor quibble, I suppose. I'm glad that the characters aren't high schoolers. Heather aside, I generally dislike teenagers and don't really have any interest in playing as one.
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't know very many college-aged people who still subscribe to the idea of groups such as "jock", "goth", and "nerd", unless maybe they're literally just-out-of-high-school.
Don't take this the wrong way, Droo, but you're from Canada. Clique mentalities, from what I've observed, have a much stronger mentality in America. My sister was surrounded by clique mentality literally until she got her diploma, and that shit doesn't seem to fully dissolve until you're officially in "Master's" territory.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, Droo, but you're from Canada. Clique mentalities, from what I've observed, have a much stronger mentality in America. My sister was surrounded by clique mentality literally until she got her diploma, and that shit doesn't seem to fully dissolve until you're officially in "Master's" territory.
Even then I highly doubt it ever goes away; stereotypes abound in modern society, so you're always going to categorize people.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Wait wait... are you guys saying the plot will be focused on teenagers now? I thought the plot would focus on ME.

The problem is that, SINCE the game will actually have a plot focused on teenagers - why the hell arn't they making original characters? The whole point of having CACs in games (Create-A-Character) is to give players the chance to play as "themselves". Instead, this game will inevitable force all players to play as a cheesyfied teenage version of someone they went to highschool with. Imagine The Sims with only teenagers, where's the fun in that?

Original characters beats it for me in this matter.
Droo

Post by Droo »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Clique mentalities, maybe. But do people seriously still subscribe to the concept of groupings such as "jock" and "goth" in college there?
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Probably not in every college, but I've seen it enough times that we still have the stereotype of colleges as daycare centers for adults. Admittedly the cliques seem to mutate a little, such as including "Bros" and whatnot, buuuut it's there.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I'm deeply concerned for the future of humanity.
Lives in the mirror"
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

Jonipoon - I COULD retype my entire post but I'd rather you just reread it.

Everyone else - I encourage you to share your ideas of how to qualify different fashion styles and subgroups of people without resorting to "cliche" words like jock, goth. By all means prove me wrong. Remember--they have to instantly communicate what they represent.