Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Nov 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: kojima hinting silent-hill-game

Missing since: 01 Oct 2011
Notes left: 48
I hope it is on the way.

http://www.thebitbag.com/2012/08/15/hid ... hill-game/

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: kojima hinting silent-hill-game

Missing since: 19 May 2009
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
Once they develop the FOX Engine it'll probably be used by other teams too. It's not too unlikely that we'll see a future SH game on it. I highly doubt Kojima himself would make a SH game, though.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Dec 2010
Notes left: 451
I would love for Hideo Kojima to make a silent hill game. And considering that members of team Silent are working at Kojima productions, it will turn out to be a proper Silent hill game.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/irmvpe

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 02 Oct 2009
Notes left: 321
Last seen at: Silent Hill
http://www.oxm.co.uk/44818/hideo-kojima ... hill-game/

I feel like my whole body is having multiple orgasms.

Quote:
Enemy doesn't have to be a lot or move fast. It only requires scariness by graphics and presentation.

Exactly. 8)

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Jan 2011
Notes left: 118
Please please please please please please please Santa.

My Bestsellers Clerk

That would be the best gift ever. Finally, a quality SH game after all those long years.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I'd really rather not, but it's not like I'm turn him down either.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 13 Jun 2007
Notes left: 811
Last seen at: Brazil
As long as he gets as far away as possible from writing the game.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 30 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Overlook Hotel
advertising that engine much?

It'd be great to see him have a go at it.

My Bestsellers Clerk

I really like what he said in the interview, the fact that he would make the game scary and atmospheric.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3229
Guys, he's just posting on twitter that he thinks Silent Hill would look good on the Fox Engine, he's not hinting at working on it. If you look, the whole thing started because he was watching the movie. It just happened to be on his mind.

I'd rather the series stay in the hands of those who are making it right now anyway. They have a pretty good track record with Shattered Memories and Downpour. As for using the Fox Engine or having Kojima Productions develop it as opposed to random studios, eh, it's worth a try, I suppose.

My Bestsellers Clerk

NanayaShiki wrote:
Guys, he's just posting on twitter that he thinks Silent Hill would look good on the Fox Engine

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Jan 2011
Notes left: 118
Hydra666 wrote:
NanayaShiki wrote:
Guys, he's just posting on twitter that he thinks Silent Hill would look good on the Fox Engine

Am I missing something? That's the same exact info but with a misleadingly different title.

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7988
I like Kojima but I hope that's not true. Won't explain again, just check for the other 5 or 6 threads about the subject...

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3365
Kojima is developing a new in house engine for Kojima Productions that will likely also be utilized throughout Konami.

This is good as Kojima, whatever you think of his writing and what not (He himself says he's not trying to be any kind of high brow artist) I'd take Kojima over 90% of anyone in the video game industry.

Kojima is an awesome producer however, and under his supervision, Silent Hill could be awesome in the right internal team he could put together. hopefully with FOX, Kojima will assemble the old Silent Hill staff that remains and we'll get a good graphical and polished game made by a dev house with talent.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 19 May 2009
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
Which members of Team Silent are working on KojiPro? I only know that Suguru Murakoshi worked on MGS4.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 24 Nov 2011
Notes left: 398
I just fucking knew this was going to get spread like wildfire and blown out of proportion. Nothing about that or the other links I've seen verifies that he is in any way working on Silent Hill. It's just an offhand comment saying "X game would look good with FOX engine. Somebody should make it." He'll probably allow other divisions of Konami to use the engine, but that doesn't mean he'll be working on it himself.

That's like the time people got their hopes up of a new Snatcher installment when he made a statement saying it would be nice to see an open world Snatcher game.

Besides, if fans were going complaining about retcons in Silent Hill already (and Silent Hill isn't even that bad about them unless you're some obsessive compulsive maniac), they're probably going to throw a temper tantrum if Kojima were to get a hold of it. That and the fact that he's more focused and influenced by Western gameplay design. How that would work into Silent Hill would remain to be seen, but there is the chance it wouldn't sit well with fans.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for giving the SH fans a big, fat middle finger because of how goddamned whiny and entitled they are. But there is a chance of some negative decisions involved with Silent Hill if Kojima is involved especially if he were writing the story.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3229
Hydra666 wrote:
NanayaShiki wrote:

That doesn't contradict what I've said at all. Don't look at the hyperbole from websites trying to get hits. Look at just the things he actually said. Nowhere does he say he is thinking about making a Silent Hill game. He said he was watching the movie and thought the series would work well with his engine. It's an off-hand comment a dude made on twitter.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 27 Sep 2009
Notes left: 491
Quote:
Enemy doesn't have to be a lot or move fast. It only requires scariness by graphics and presentation.

I don't understand this stance, so you're saying the monster can be easy to avoid but if it's well presented it's scary? I feel like I played that experiment named SH2, it wasn't actually that scary, enemy wise, I mean. This attitude just makes me think of how people defended the awful combat saying OH UR CHARACTER ISN'T A FIGHTER AND IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE COMBAT ORIENTED. B-but it's not like I ever felt weak packing a dickton of ammo and being able to avoid these enemies that all did the same thing in practice, at most I felt incredibly frustrated. Frustration kinda keeps me from actually being scared or, lol, actually enjoying the game.

Not to say all the enemies in the game have to be fast but it does in fact need some kind of element outside of "presentation", unless you're super spineless and gullible at which point, uh, good luck have fun inside. Course, this is the generation where people are apparently mad that Dead Space 3 will have co op cuz it will "kill the horror", implying that people were scared of that game.

:|

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 24 Nov 2011
Notes left: 398
Which is why the series will never be able to progress in terms of gameplay because people keep clinging onto wanting the same thing over and over. "B-b-b-bbut NOT SCARY UNELSS PROTAG IS TEH PBUMLBING IDIOTS!!! ISOLATION!!! IMMERSION!! CANON!!! B AB AHBA BHA- seriously, those excuses are so tired and dated. Then you bring up stuff like the numerous amount of ammo in the game, SH3 & 4's gameplay enhancements and it usually going in some circle consisting of contrived excuses of how it's all subtle or downplayed in contrast to the newer games and blah blah blah.

Silent Hill has had plenty of slow enemies especially of the bipedal type. They could use not only new monster designs, but monsters that have new ways of attacking rather and interacting with the player rather than just hitting the character. Such as a monster that teleport or one that actually has some speed. That's another area in which you can look to horror novels and films for inspiration. Don't want the game to be too unbalanced? Simply put a handful of them in the game. Presentation factor for monsters is good and all, but they do need other elements outside of that to actually make them imposing as look alone can only carry them so far. PH's boss fight in the apt complex likely wouldn't have been as scary for some players if it weren't for the fact that he had a big ass knife and was invincible.

Plus, you can remedy the fear of people crying of "immersion and isolation being ruined!" by having multiple difficulty levels. Hell, even throw in the bullet adjust option and allow players to make the game as hard or as easy as they want.

But the moment you start bringing up ideas like this then people throw a five alarm temper tantrum saying "It's not RESIDNET EVIL!!!!" or some shit like that. So Silent Hill has to be stuck in this limbo of average to mediocre gameplay visual novel because you can't take any innovative risks with the gameplay without any fans bitching. That's what happens when you have too many fans that are absorbed into all other aspects of Silent Hill that they forget it's a vide game first and foremost. And new gameplay ideas can lend themselves well to horror. SH4 had that novel idea with the room concept, but never fulfilled its full potential sadly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next