Light projector copied from the suffering

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Light projector copyed from the suffering

Post by Typographenia »

Mario invented jumping in video games. It's true.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

You guys are unbelievable. The bits you mention are only bits of the entire ending sequence.

Sh1 ending: Alessa/god's death
Alessaa reborn
Harry escaping
Scene of Harry and Cybil with the baby.
Sh2 ending:
Rooftop scene
Mary in bed scene
Mary's letter scene
Ending specific scene
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Sh2 ending:
Rooftop scene
Mary in bed scene
Mary's letter scene
Ending specific scene
So you ARE counting pre-final boss stuff as part of the ending?

Well, shit, then, Downpour has the longest ending of all. After beating it's final boss there's a huge cutscene about the final plot twist, then another pseudo-fight, THEN a cutscene that can be over two minutes long.

Pretty decent ending, by the standards you've presented. Thanks for clearing this up.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Karakulz
Just Passing Through

Post by Karakulz »

I dont think its the matter of how long each cutscene was but what was in the cutscenes.
In most of the previous games the ending was somewhat satisfying and helps wrap the story up well.

But personally I didnt like the Downpour endings so much because I didnt feel like it should have ended the way it did (In every ending) but I am very nit-picky so it probably would have taken something kind of outragous to make me love it. ^^;
~ When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die ~
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

AuraTwilight wrote:
Sh2 ending:
Rooftop scene
Mary in bed scene
Mary's letter scene
Ending specific scene
So you ARE counting pre-final boss stuff as part of the ending?

Well, shit, then, Downpour has the longest ending of all. After beating it's final boss there's a huge cutscene about the final plot twist, then another pseudo-fight, THEN a cutscene that can be over two minutes long.

Pretty decent ending, by the standards you've presented. Thanks for clearing this up.
the rooftop cutscene you're referring to, is a minute long and changes according to their respective endings...so yes, i will include that....downpour pretty much plays out the same scanario before the Boogeyman stage in 5 out of 6 endings... so i wont include that as part of the ending.... by your logic, Silent hill will have 30 minute long ending scenario where Dahlia causes Alessa to go througt with the ritual followed by Kaufmann showing up and throwing the vial on Alessa causing the God/Alessa to come out of Alessa's body who then proceeds to kill Dahlia and turn his attention on Harry depending on the 4 endings.catch my drift?Wait.... even this scenario changes depending on the sidequests, so yes, it IS a part of the overall ending. So thanks for clearing that up. :lol:
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
raptor112
Just Passing Through

Post by raptor112 »

What specifically do you guy's not like about the endings (other then length)? What kind of endings were you hopiing for? I really can't see how they could of done anything else
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

raptor112 wrote:What specifically do you guy's not like about the endings (other then length)? What kind of endings were you hopiing for? I really can't see how they could of done anything else
The fact that some endings completely change Murphy's past. e.g, in one ending,he kills his child, despite the fact that the events leading up to that event contradict that notion. or changes like whether Murphy actually killed Napier or Cunningham's dad. It takes away the emotional impact of the story. Instead of following one narrative with infinite possibilites at the end, we have four different scenarios with one outcome in each scenario.
Karakulz
Just Passing Through

Post by Karakulz »

^
This.
It pretty much sums up my beef with the games endings.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

In fairness, we knew that was going to happen before the game was even released.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:
raptor112 wrote:What specifically do you guy's not like about the endings (other then length)? What kind of endings were you hopiing for? I really can't see how they could of done anything else
The fact that some endings completely change Murphy's past. e.g, in one ending,he kills his child, despite the fact that the events leading up to that event contradict that notion. or changes like whether Murphy actually killed Napier or Cunningham's dad. It takes away the emotional impact of the story. Instead of following one narrative with infinite possibilites at the end, we have four different scenarios with one outcome in each scenario.
I don't really think murphy kills his child in any of the endings.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
in the execution ending, or whatever is it's name, murphy is being killed for killing his child, but that doesn't mean that he killed Charlie. he's just being acused of doing it. unless I'm forgeting an ending...
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
raptor112
Just Passing Through

Post by raptor112 »

Same here, especially with Sewell there, its more then likely he had a "helping hand" in geting him to where he was in that particular ending
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

If we're going to complain about crappy Silent Hill endings, then I nominate every single Homecoming ending. All 5 endings in that game were determined by three choices 20 minutes before the end, which is one of my biggest video game gripes, since it pretty much defeats the purpose of replaying the game all the way through. They also felt either anticlimactic or just made no sense at all, and just to piss in the soup, they're all about 45 seconds long.

Downpour's endings are alright. Not the best, but at least I had to work a little bit harder to get a specific ending due to the invisible Karma meter.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

aj4x94 wrote:If we're going to complain about crappy Silent Hill endings, then I nominate every single Homecoming ending. All 5 endings in that game were determined by three choices 20 minutes before the end, which is one of my biggest video game gripes, since it pretty much defeats the purpose of replaying the game all the way through. They also felt either anticlimactic or just made no sense at all, and just to piss in the soup, they're all about 45 seconds long.

Downpour's endings are alright. Not the best, but at least I had to work a little bit harder to get a specific ending due to the invisible Karma meter.
Homecoming has no proper endings. The game just ends abruptly.

I got three different endings based on the final Boogeyman encouner. That's half of all the endings!

Spare Anne: Truth And Justice
Kill Anne: Execution
Die at the hands of Anne: Reversal

The moral choice system is BROKEN.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote: The moral choice system is BROKEN.
I agree. I didn't like it how things were determined not only by our interaction with other characters (well, in only those few instances), but also with how we dealt with monsters. It felt to me that my choices with Anne and...what's-his-name...were meaningless because I decided to stomp monsters. I know other games have included monster specific requirements when it comes to determining the endings, but it was better implemented and didn't make the other requirements feel like a waste of time.

Also, seeing as the OP was talking about The Suffering; I loved The Suffering and thought it did a great job with morality, in not only how it affected the endings, but how it was achieved and how it affected the game whilst still playing.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:
aj4x94 wrote:If we're going to complain about crappy Silent Hill endings, then I nominate every single Homecoming ending. All 5 endings in that game were determined by three choices 20 minutes before the end, which is one of my biggest video game gripes, since it pretty much defeats the purpose of replaying the game all the way through. They also felt either anticlimactic or just made no sense at all, and just to piss in the soup, they're all about 45 seconds long.

Homecoming has no proper endings. The game just ends abruptly.

I got three different endings based on the final Boogeyman encouner. That's half of all the endings!

Spare Anne: Truth And Justice
Kill Anne: Execution
Die at the hands of Anne: Reversal

The moral choice system is BROKEN.

I agree the endings in downpour, at least the choices to be made in that last segment felt a bit hollow, like what you did up until that point really didn't matter...Downpour was still a solid effort, but the moral system was crafted better in other games.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I don't really think murphy kills his child in any of the endings.
[Reveal] Spoiler: in the execution ending, or whatever is it's name, murphy is being killed for killing his child, but that doesn't mean that he killed Charlie. he's just being acused of doing it. unless I'm forgeting an ending...

How in the world could you NOT think that?...when the game is practically centered around his child? what other child can he be accused of killing? wasn't his supposed ex-wife or wife in that cut scene as well?....that ending is a huge disconnect tho from the game itself when you are playing it tho. Murphys actions and emotions in the game completely contradict that ending no matter what you do....the choice you make at the end is basically...choose bad murphy or good murphy.
Droo

Post by Droo »

People complained that in Heavy Rain the killer's identity remained the same regardless of what actions you take.

People complain that Downpour's different endings change the entire plot of the game depending on which one you get.

Gamers are a fickle bunch who don't know what they want.

I totally agree on Homecoming's endings. I love the game and plot overall but those were some weak-ass endings.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I really don't think that Murphy killed Charlie in the Execution ending. It goes against everything we've learned about Murphy by that point; I think he was just accused of it, not that he did it.
Karakulz
Just Passing Through

Post by Karakulz »

I too dont believe Murphy actually killed Charlie but there is still a chance that he did kill him if you get that ending.
Just maybe he didn't remember doing it, like James from SH2?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I always thought the Execution ending was some weird reality bubble where Murphy blames himself for everything and then destroys himself for 'justice'. Like how in the Reverse ending, Anne wakes up as a prisoner and Murphy's the policeman. Neither of these are reality.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

Downpour would have ended too soon if Murphy sailed to freedom. The game came to (considering wonky video game stories) a very nice ending(s). I was actually a little surprised with how nicely the story wrapped up. Time to bitch about something else.