Why BoM WON'T kill the series

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Why BoM WON'T kill the series

Post by Augophthalmoses »

PyramidFace wrote:
clips wrote: Yeah i get that anything can happen in the SH universe, but there are some things that should be absolute,..like creatures staying in specific games and belonging to specific individuals..and i'm not just talking about PH etc..i mean all of the monsters.
Here's the thing though - that was never true. Not even in the originals. You can compare 1 - 3 in "Lost Memories" and see things like "these bugs enemies are in SH2 because they were in SH1" While SOME creatures have significant psychological purpose tying them to the main characters, MANY do not. We just like the fact some do so we project that quality onto the entire series and every creature in it.
I'd say it's the entire series as a whole and not just the monsters. Fans have a noticeable tendency to overthink and overanalyze all aspects of all the games because many think that just because some parts of the game have subtle and/or symbolic meanings then EVERYTHING in Silent Hill either does or HAS to have some kind of hidden meaning to it.

When I see people forming in depth theories behind Eddie eating pizza at the bowling alley (that's not a joke by the way), I think it's time to back things up a little bit and reevaluate priorities. It can be a negative at times since Silent Hill's open endedness, symbolism, and habit of leaving things up for interpretation allows some people to think weird/dead/stupid theories suddenly have some standing.
Last edited by Augophthalmoses on 24 Aug 2012, edited 1 time in total.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Heh...yeah, folks do tend to over-analyze stuff. I just think the monsters impact is better when they belong to specific characters/storylines. I liked PH's role in SH2, the connection they made with James and how he was introduced throughout the entire game...it wasn't just a big cutscene introducing him...you turn around a corner and he was there..just staring...very bizarre and obscure.

Fast forward to "the Butcher" and "The boogeyman"....which was clearly PH ripoffs and created for fan service...while Valtiel, another original creature whose presence wasn't as heavy PH, still established the required impact.

As far as the bugs/nurses...etc?...it's been explained that the bugs are an influence of Alessa, and even tho the nurses at this point have been a somewhat trademark for the series...they have had a legitimate reason for being in the games they were in because of the situations/environments the characters were in, which is why i'm glad Downpour took the route that they did and even tho i thought the creature designs and mannerisms were rather weak, they were still original.

Those games that had the butcher and the boogeyman would've worked better if the design were more original.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

I really don't think the series needs "trademark" monsters and should just stop bringing back nurses.There's no point in making monsters to disturb and/or challenge the player if they're going to be recycled from earlier monsters. It's counterproductive.

And while symbolism is nice and all that should never be the only focus of creating monsters. They should also be unique and intimidating in whatever means possible. And attacks should be more than just slapping the main character around like we've already seen in the majority of the series.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I wonder how dying in BoM will work.
Would it return you to the start of the level, or are there checkpoints?
What if you're with others and somebody dies?

And how will it play into the story? It's your nightmare right? So you can't permanently die.
Rilumai
Just Passing Through

Post by Rilumai »

Just like fans saying "Downpour looks stupid I bet Pyramid Head is in it" after 2 years of me saying Pyramid Head wouldn't be in it.
Pyramid Head is in Downpour... I mean, he's only in the joke ending but they still stuck him in there.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

thy_butcher wrote:I wonder how dying in BoM will work.

And how will it play into the story? It's your nightmare right? So you can't permanently die.
Interesting. Can't answer for the developers but I think a checkpoint style would be nice.

And when you're in multiplayer... Seems kinda obvious. You'll more than likely earn the "mouth to mouth" and "punch to the heart" ressurection from your team mates.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

I don't see it killing the series. However I do think it will go unnoticed by 95% of the fan base. Especially since it will be exclusive only to a console many people do not plan to own.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Unfortunately so. I won't be able to play it because I don't have the money for a Vita. I wish it had been on PS3, possibly as a PSN title or something.

I do want to support the series though, so I might buy it anyway. Hopefully I can pick up a Vita someday when it's cheaper so I can play it. Tomm wrote the story this time around, right? I want to see that, since I'm a fan of his work in the series so far.
Adam_WF
Just Passing Through

Post by Adam_WF »

thy_butcher wrote:I wonder how dying in BoM will work.

There are libraries (save rooms) to mark your progress. As for multiplayer death, you'll have to wait and see. There's some interesting stuff there. :)
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Thanks Adam_WF. I'm very interested to see what you guys have cooked up.
I'm getting a Vita asap & I promise that BoM will be the first thing I buy for it ;)

Here's an article detailing the author's experience with the BoM demo.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/26/si ... ut-creepy/

I wish the article described what the sound design was like, but oh well.
It's a neat read and has me further excited.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Re: Why BoM will be a pile of shit

Post by SPRINGS02 »

pink_isnt_well000 wrote:I don't see it killing the series. However I do think it will go unnoticed by 95% of the fan base. Especially since it will be exclusive only to a console many people do not plan to own.
Same here. As i said earlier the only thing i really see it doing is being a pretty bad game. It takes more than a bad spinoff game to kill the series.
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

thy_butcher wrote:Here's an article detailing the author's experience with the BoM demo.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/26/si ... ut-creepy/
Don't ask me why exactly, but this line here, especially the bolded part, cracked me up :lol:
I gave my character (who somebody had previously named “Ud”) a tweed hat, a “preppy” haircut, and a Hannibal Lecter-style mask to give him a bit more personality.
It's probably because at one point it was said that the characters are going to be typical, everyday life high-school kids. But maybe I've just been out of school for too long :wink:

The more I see of this game, the more I can appreciate it for it's Tales of the World'esque corniness...and nobody complained about those games destroying the stories of individual Tales games, though they more or less tied them all together in a meta kind of way.

I won't be able to play the game because I'm not planning to buy a Vita in the next years, but I just hope to get some nice corny playthroughs with Pyramid Heads and nurses being blown to bits by rocket launchers, laser canons and epic spells of destruction :twisted:
the konami code
Just Passing Through

Post by the konami code »

This game is a bad on idea on many levels, but personally, I especially hate how the characters look so colorful, trendy, and cartoony like they just fell out of Sims game. The gameplay look like God Of War. They could have called this anything else because nothing about it is Silent Hill except for some enemies designs
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

the konami code wrote:The gameplay look like God Of War.
A fucking dungeon crawling RPG looks like God of War? Carry this trash somewhere else. If you don't like the game all you have to do is not buy it. Don't turn into a soap opera of woes.
the konami code
Just Passing Through

Augophthalmoses wrote:
the konami code wrote:The gameplay look like God Of War.
A fucking dungeon crawling RPG looks like God of War? Carry this trash somewhere else. If you don't like the game all you have to do is not buy it. Don't turn into a soap opera of woes.
whoa. Cool your tits there, guy. :roll:

I was talking about the fixed overheard camera angle which looks like God Of War. ...And, yes from the stills it DOES look like a GOW style hack 'n' slash. Aside from some recycled enemies, NOTHING about looks like Silent Hill.
Last edited by the konami code on 27 Sep 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Dude, I'm firm with everybody I respond to and profanity alone doesn't mean somebody is mad. All you said was gameplay. You didn't say anything about a fixed overhead cam and even that is a sloppy comparison to God of War especially considering it's a camera style many dungeon crawlers have used already.
the konami code
Just Passing Through

"game play" = the stills on the internet of the game play.... :roll:

also, I never said or thought you were mad, but you were getting unnecessarily intense. The problem here is that you are rushing in to type without thinking, which is causing you to make assumptions, none of which has anything to do with being firm.

next time, try...
a little less --> :evil:
and a little more --> :idea:
...before you type.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

the konami code wrote:"game play" = the stills on the internet of the game play.... :roll:
Well, if you're going to talk about the camera say so to start with and not after the fact. Just saying gameplay isn't going in depth enough. Don't get antsy just because points out that you said something rather stupid.
the konami code
Just Passing Through

Augophthalmoses wrote:
the konami code wrote:"game play" = the stills on the internet of the game play.... :roll:
Well, if you're going to talk about the camera say so to start with and not after the fact. Just saying gameplay isn't going in depth enough. Don't get antsy just because points out that you said something rather stupid.
yea. Your lack of comprehension is absolutely not my problem, however if you can handle a conversing as an adult, by asking questions and not rushing to spew impulsive sophomoric assumptions, maybe I'll make it a point to be more specific for you so we can have a civil discussion about the game series we both love.

for the record, ^THIS^ is being firm.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

the konami code wrote:
Augophthalmoses wrote:
yea. Your lack of comprehension is absolutely not my problem
Now you're going to play the Projecting card just because you were too hard headed to specify what the heck you were talking about? Gameplay is a board term and it's usually brought up to refer to gameplay mechanics.

Trying to claim gameplay = talking about the camera when you made no mention whatsoever of the camera until after the next post is a poor attempt to salvage credibility.

Just save yourself time and don't try getting into a debate with me. You're not going to accomplish anything doing so with the way you think and post.