A pair of reviews for Silent Hill: Revelation 3D.

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Patchwork_Heaven
Just Passing Through

Re: A pair of bad reviews...

Post by Patchwork_Heaven »

How can Bassett seriously not include a single monster from the third game? Goddammit.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

No, it's stupid to claim that they need to make major retcons to fit an entirely different universe, and you're only saying that because you don't like the first movie.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

JKristine35 wrote:No, it's stupid to claim that they need to make major retcons to fit an entirely different universe, and you're only saying that because you don't like the first movie.
No, I'm not. But I really appreciate you writing off everything I said because of a preconceived assumption about my personality that I can't look at anything beyond what I personally like or dislike. That was a really fresh experience for me on this forum. Glad I took two weeks off from coming here.

Anyway, what I have actually been saying that the plot of Silent Hill 3 doesn't work without elements from SH1 that wasn't in the first Silent Hill movie. Since this movie is adapting Silent Hill 3, it literally has to change or add to what already existed in the first Silent Hill movie. I already said that if this movie wasn't adapting Silent Hill 3, I would completely agree with you. But since it IS adapting Silent Hill 3, it needs to do what has to be done in order to actually do that. But, seriously, whatever. I don't even think this movie is going to be any good, so I'm not going to waste any more of my time arguing in it's defense.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Claiming that huge retcons are a-ok as long as it's an adaptation is so utterly ridiculous that I can't find any reason for why someone would say such a thing unless there's an ulterior motive. You've made it clear over and over that you have an intense hatred of both the first movie and this one, so it seems perfectly logical to me that you just want them to retcon stuff because you don't like the series.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

I don't think there are any retcons going on, at least not from what I have heard from people I know who have seen the movie...

By the way, heard from a fan of the games and someone who was not looking forward to this movie....That it was actually pretty good....I think some of you guys are gonna be in for a surprise when you see it....

And there is a monster from Silent Hill 3 in the movie...Its just been slightly redesigned...A couple actually...Have you not seen the TV Spots and trailers?
VinnySplendelicious
Just Passing Through

Post by VinnySplendelicious »

The Gal who runs the Silent Hill Historical Society page liked it.

"I enjoyed the film. Yes, there were some cringe worthy moments but I saw a lot in there I liked and they incorporated a lot more from SH3 and the mythos then I thought they would. With that said I know a lot of people will probably really dislike the film because of the liberties taken with some of the characters and some really, really bad line deliveries XD Not as beautiful as the first film but approach it as an homage to the 3rd game rather than a retelling & I think you'll have fun. (Carny PH still made me laugh along with another weird....thing with him I can't reveal.)"
Survival
Just Passing Through

Post by Survival »

Just my two censts... In case Bassett wasn't true to the general interpretation of the first movie's ending it doesn't mean he did not understood it. It just means it was so vague it gave him an opportunity to head in a different direction. Hovewer from what I have heard, he stays true to it 99% of time time only "fine tuning" things in order to fit more with the story he is telling.

Hell he even stays true to PH's role in the first film that was left very vague.
gostoneph17
Just Passing Through

Re: A pair of reviews for Silent Hill: Revelation 3D.

Post by gostoneph17 »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938330/
At least IMDB has a good rating for Revelation...for now.
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Well, one or two good things about it to counter the bad reviews up for now. I am hoping to be pleasently surprised when I see it tomarrow.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Aww damn... Well, I am steering clear of this forum as of tomorrow so that other people's opinions won't sway my own but these two reviews aren't very exciting.

But then I can't trust the word of somebody who claims that the writer of DeathWatch, Wilderness and Solomon Kane "can't write for nuts" and then makes an image complaining that the lead character's legs aren't naked...

There's a negative review on Twitch Film as well:

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/10/review-si ... on-3d.html

But the top comment does make me think:
"It sounds like what you liked the [least] is exactly what the fans of the games have been waiting for."

As for ret-cons, it's a horror franchise, they're infamous for them, it dates back to the days of striking Jason with lightning to bring him back to life, and Freddie Krueger getting resurrected by dog urine. I really don't mind as long as they're decent. Halloween Resurrection was the only time I've found a retcon really unacceptable.

Seems like this is going to be a bit of a halloweeny popcorn flick with a more interesting story. I really don't mind that, I'd rather they had some fun with Silent Hill than tried to make something SH2-level-profound and failed, but I imagine a lot of game fans will be let down by that.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^Eh, Deathwatch was pretty good, but nothing to brag about, however I haven't seen Soloman Kane yet. I may try and check that out this weekend.

Anyway, this is yet another example for why Videogames should never be made into films. writers always think they can come up with a better version of the story in place, and the director makes too many unnecessary changes which leads to a crap film... can't forget about the studio putting their 2 cents in either..

oh well, i'm still going to see the film, but i'll admit, the trailers haven't looked very good, and i'm not as excited as i was when the first film was released.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

If I were a gajillionaire, I would form a production company that lets fans of video games, comics and old TV shows submit their ideas for a faithful reproduction, then I'd fund the ones that each fanbase voted as being the most promising. Consultants would be assigned to oversee the accuracy to the source material, with the actual film-making being done by the pros (independent actors, directors, etc. with less of a desire to "go Hollywood" on the project). It's not a perfect plan, but it'd certainly result in better adaptations, even if they wouldn't make as much money at the box office.
branj70
Just Passing Through

Post by branj70 »

KingCrimson wrote:If I were a gajillionaire, I would form a production company that lets fans of video games, comics and old TV shows submit their ideas for a faithful reproduction, then I'd fund the ones that each fanbase voted as being the most promising. Consultants would be assigned to oversee the accuracy to the source material, with the actual film-making being done by the pros (independent actors, directors, etc. with less of a desire to "go Hollywood" on the project). It's not a perfect plan, but it'd certainly result in better adaptations, even if they wouldn't make as much money at the box office.
No offence, but those would be really boring movies
CrypticIdentity wrote:With the rust and all I can't imagine any of the plumbing in either world is great. OF COURSE, THAT'S WHAT VALTIEL'S BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS WHOLE TIME, with all his valve-turning--TURN ON THE SHOWER. He probably smells rank as hell.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Did you think Sin City was boring?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Post by Garmonbozey »

Numb Body01 wrote:Did you think Sin City was boring?
To be fair, adapting a comic book to film is way easier since a comic book could become a giant storyboard for the director if they were going to go that faithful (eg, some shots in watchmen mirror the panels exactly). If we were to adapt SH3 faithfully we'd have half of the film with just Heather wandering around, then one scene in the middle where the entirety of the actual plot is stated within about 3 minutes of heavy exposition. Plus, other things like characters conveniently popping up to explain things and then disappearing for the next span of wandering, things like notes & memos, etc. Video games are rarely as fun to watch as they are to play, and so to convert it into something meant just for watching requires some changes.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Garmonbozey (I want all my Garmonbozia...) is right, Sin City and Iron Man (another one which had a lot of fan input) were both from books though (well, comics) which are closer to films in their storytelling. Games are still very much about the gameplay and very little story actually occurs when you're not in control for the most part (there are exceptions of course, such as RPGs, which tend to have more story than could even fit into a movie, or Metal Gear Solid games). I still don't get the people who act like Silent Hill 3 was some profoundly written game. By video game standards it was great, yeah, but it is still very cheesy with its dialogue and ideas, just like the first game was (Silent Hill 2 is still an exception). I mean for crying out loud, one of the endings is "BOO I SCARED YOU WITH A KNIFE JUST KIDDING HEE HEE HEE THE END"...

Unfortunately most video games need to be added to to make a movie otherwise there's just not much to work with, the problem is we've had a lot of video game movies released by people who didn't really know what to add to them. I've always wanted to see Silent Hill movies mainly so that people who don't play games can experience it and the first film did a great job of bringing the first game to those people. From what I've read about this one, maybe it doesn't quite match the subtleties of the series, and maybe it's a bit popcorny, but when I think back to Silent Hill 3 I think of haunted houses which talk to you, evil cult leaders spouting prose like some kind of wicked witch, it's all pretty much one big scary rollercoaster and I really can't find much more than that in SH3.

SH2, Shattered Memories and Downpour really kind of stand out in the series as much better and more mature stories and I'd be really put off if they gave any of those the halloween popcorn treatment but SH3 I never really felt was particularly profound beyond being a great horror ride, more The Grudge than Jacob's Ladder.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

^That's the way I see it, but SH3 is also the most intense/ scariest in the series for many people. That will be hard to emulate if many of the problems the movie is said to have actually exists.
I am not worried about how the story is beyond hoping it doesn't retcon the first film in any way. SH3's story was never the selling point for me, even if it's my favorite game in the series.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Post by Garmonbozey »

^ All agreed with. There are things in Silent Hill 3 that are really just there to look cool, sortof like 3D in the film. The graphics are a huge, huge part of that game, and the haunted house you mention is a big example of flourishes of that sort. There are some subtleties in the plot but they are so much less subtle compared to 2 that if any game of the series was to have a hollywood-ized adaption I'd either think 3 or Origins or Homecoming would be the one to do.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Garmonbozey, a man after my own heart (even moreso if that username is a reference to Fire Walk With Me, by the way).

I sometimes feel like Silent Hill 2 is a sort of poison to this series' fanbase. It's set everything else up for a fail and the entire series is judged against it, even though it's the black sheep. I sometimes feel like if SH2 was removed from history, that people would enjoy Homecoming and Origins more. SH2 is an amazing game, yes, head and shoulders above everything else similar to it, but we shouldn't downright expect these films to be similar to the one which is totally different to the others. It'd be like hoping each new Zelda was like Majora's Mask.

Anyway there's a point to me ranting about SH2 here - I believe the first movie is actually BETTER at story telling than the first game, by quite a lot, and that this movie could potentially do that to SH3 as well, but we're all judging them by SH2's standards for some reason. We say "this doesn't understand the Silent Hill series" to stuff like Origins but we give a free pass to the convoluted mess that is SH4 because we've lumped the series together and SH2 has raises them all up.

I'm not saying we should lower our expectations and just happily drool over scary monsters and scraping noises, but getting angry every time a concept is re-used, or whenever something to do with SH includes gore, fun, or a few moments of excitement, seems almost hypocritical when we base this all on one game, pretty much.

So yeah, Silent Hill 3 was never about the story... At least not for me. It was about awesome monsters and environments, and I think this film will deliver that. I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews form horror sites, ones which will appreciate the concept of halloweeny films.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Here's another review, guys!

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/10/25 ... lation-3d/

I actually really like this review. It's not positive per se but it talks fondly of how 'loopy' the film is, which sounds great to me, essentially they're saying the film is batshit insane, which is all I ask for :D