Third movie, new story?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

fisher92
Just Passing Through

Third movie, new story?

Post by fisher92 »

Article
And don’t think this is the last you’ll see of the Silent Hill film franchise, either. Basset has plans to follow up Revelation with new, original movies to continue Heather’s storyline.

“Is there a case to be made for making other Silent Hill movies from the game? Yeah, but there’s a much better case to be made now for making original stories about Silent Hill,” he said. “The games are the games, let them carry on doing their own thing, and Downpour was fun and the prisoner thing is fun, but if I want to go back to Silent Hill and make another movie, I’m going to write my original story and just use that universe.”
I'm not really happy about this. James story is fantastic source material for amazing psychological thriller, and with the right director it could be a great movie. But I guess this will never happen - I'm sure that producers won't give it a chance.
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Re: Third movie, new story?

Post by Garmonbozey »

There's too much on the line for that. A producer won't give it a chance and there'd be too much pressure from the fanbase for it to be good; if it sucks, this approach will be dismissed in videogame adaptions from hereon. And I think Silent Hill 2 or 4 should come next, because I really want to see indie treatments of either of them. I feel like the first game was the most filmic, and had its own hokey moments, and so the first film adaption works. From what I've seen of Revelations, it's as bombastic compared to the first film as 3 was compared to the first game, so that seems natural too. Both those are out of the way now, the central story is out of the way, and so I want an indie take.

However, if there were to ever be a live-action TV series, providing opportunity for many original stories and approaches, it'd be both more interesting and more secure than a one-shot go that could make or break the future of the franchise. Plus, if we look at the games as they are, it's already a sort of anthology, so why not just take that and run with it?
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I'm more than happy about it, this is how it should be. Adapting a video game is ALWAYS awkward, anybody who says otherwise is just plain wrong if you ask me. Silent Hill 2 would be impossible. As much as I would give to be able to 'show' the story of SH2 or Shattered Memories to non-gamers, they'd never get it right, I really don't think a film could live up to SH2 at all, and we would come down so hard on it. Even me.

Downpour was absolutely glorious IMO, and it's all thanks to a writer and team being given the chance to take Silent Hill to their own place rather than constant pressure to recreate what we already have. On top of that, a new story would have less pressure upon it since it doesn't have anything to be faithful to and thus it can't really go particularly wrong. It could go the way of Silent Hill 2 in the sense that it's the same town but we watch characters who have nothing to do with Alessa affected by it.

I'd love to see Silent Hill become a long running horror film series like A Nightmare on Elm Street and the like, where they try new things each time, and I think that giving the movies freedom of movement could be the best thing to happen to them. It would be great to see it as a third branch of the franchise, the games, comics and movies, all featuring side-stories set in the same subjective purgatory.

I TOTALLY agree with what Bassett says about Pyramid Head. We complain that he was James' monster but that's long gone now. He's appeared so many times in the franchise since that we'd be flogging a dead horse to keep complaining about it, he's still James' conjuration if we play SH2 anyway, but like people have said, he's become the poster boy for Silent Hill, especially the movies.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

I would like to see a SH4 or Room 302.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

While SILENT HILL 2 would make an excellent movie, in theory, it'd only be good for people unfamiliar with the game. Why would I want to watch a movie when I already know the ending? Aside from that obvious problem, I really, really, don't want my favorite game to be made a novelty of itself.

It's like seeing Pink Floyd shirts sold at Target.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I *would* agree with the people who want SH4 as a movie, but the film '1408' already did it SO much better than the game did, and as great as the room concept is, the stuff about Walter, umbilical cords, portals to random worlds, apartments being mothers, is just so convoluted that I can't see it working at all.

The Adversary is right too, so many people forget that films are an experience, not a piece of homework for us to grade. We all already know James' story, and that revelation is in our memory. If an SH2 movie was made we wouldn't go to experience and enjoy it, we'd go ready to 'grade' it and see how well they did it. And that's no fun at all.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

DistantJ wrote:
Downpour was absolutely glorious IMO, and it's all thanks to a writer and team being given the chance to take Silent Hill to their own place rather than constant pressure to recreate what we already have. On top of that, a new story would have less pressure upon it since it doesn't have anything to be faithful to and thus it can't really go particularly wrong. It could go the way of Silent Hill 2 in the sense that it's the same town but we watch characters who have nothing to do with Alessa affected by it.

I'd love to see Silent Hill become a long running horror film series like A Nightmare on Elm Street and the like, where they try new things each time, and I think that giving the movies freedom of movement could be the best thing to happen to them. It would be great to see it as a third branch of the franchise, the games, comics and movies, all featuring side-stories set in the same subjective purgatory.

I TOTALLY agree with what Bassett says about Pyramid Head. We complain that he was James' monster but that's long gone now. He's appeared so many times in the franchise since that we'd be flogging a dead horse to keep complaining about it, he's still James' conjuration if we play SH2 anyway, but like people have said, he's become the poster boy for Silent Hill, especially the movies.
I'm in complete agreement with all of this, although I haven't read the article yet in case of spoilers.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I have no problem with this direction if it's taken. The Resident Evil movies have done this over and over, even if they are going nowhere and are pretty shitty in the writing department. Considering this is what the games do, I don't see why the movies couldn't. They already adapted SH1 and SH3 to set up Silent Hill's foundation, so I say go for it.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I've felt since 2006 that the Silent Hill movie-verse should be totally it's own thing, so I'm happy to hear this.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Taking it in a new direction is probably for the best. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see movies made of 2 and 4, but going ahead with an original story does away with the difficulties of adapting the more game-y aspects of the series.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

It may also make the movies have some mystery and surprise for the fans of the series.
Lafayette_Reynolds
Just Passing Through

Post by Lafayette_Reynolds »

I'd love it if they continued the storyline they have up.

I dont know if
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Heather would be the protagonist though, probably Chris while he's looking for his wife and Heather could be a secondary character, which I think is neat. We get one movie with Rose, one with Heather, and another one with Chris/Harry.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

That could be kinda cool, keep things 'in the family'...

If they were to adapt any other game at all I'd like to see an Origins movie with Travis.
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

Although 2 or 4 were be my prime choices for the enxt film, I would really love to see a Downpour movie. I think it would be really nice, and considering how Otherworld was handled in Downpour, wouldn't require a large budget since the dark world transitions would be minimal. I think it has a lot of potential on film.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger
Lafayette_Reynolds
Just Passing Through

Post by Lafayette_Reynolds »

With the multiple possibilities in the ending, Id love it if a sequel was an anthology (like Trick r' Treat was), and at one point the protagonists (Harry/James, Travis and Murphy) cross paths with one another to show that the monsters that they see are different.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Sith_Dreamer wrote:Although 2 or 4 were be my prime choices for the enxt film, I would really love to see a Downpour movie. I think it would be really nice, and considering how Otherworld was handled in Downpour, wouldn't require a large budget since the dark world transitions would be minimal. I think it has a lot of potential on film.
Man, I love Downpour, but I gotta agree with Bassett on it, that you don't even need a movie of it since it's so cinematic and realistic as it is. The only use for a film would be to present the story to people who don't play video games pretty much.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Let him run with it.

The movie wasn't terrible, and it would be great to see where it goes from here. I think he had his hands tied by the first movie and the third game. Now I just want to see it flourish, numbers willing.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

SilentWren wrote:Let him run with it.

The movie wasn't terrible, and it would be great to see where it goes from here. I think he had his hands tied by the first movie and the third game. Now I just want to see it flourish, numbers willing.
I wouldn't mind him staying for another movie IF he aknowledges his mistakes with Revelations. He did have his hands tied a bit, but there were other ways he could've went about it and the cheesy heads throughout (along with other laughable things) should have been seen as unnecessary and just plain bad.
Bit if he learns from his mistakes in Revelations, I wouldn't mind. I know the guy isn't as bad a writer and director as the movie suggests. I'm not sure what was going through his head during it's filming.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

I hope Basset doesn't get to make his sequel, and I hope it's not about Christopher either. I wouldn't mind for The Room to be adapted. Personally I would like a reboot of the whole thing without the cult. The town would become an inhabited resort town like it is in the game that manifests a person's inner demons. If that were to happen I'd be fine with a SH2 adaptation.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

I'd go for Silent Hill 4 or Homecoming.
Homecoming is my most favorite SH Game but for a movie, I think SH4 would be more suitable and a smart director would know how to change things in the movies so as to make the game that people complain about it being "Nothing like a SH game" to feel like one.

I'm sure that waking up in the streets of Silent Hill after entering a hole from Room 302 won't be any problematic since we went to a subway, a forest, a prison complex and the outside of the buildings.

Let's mix themes, let's borrow the mystery and twists like SH2 and SH:HC had, make us think the story is something predictable and then unfold a massive twist at the end (one that makes sense not like finding out that the protagonist who's name is heather townshend was originally a goat imagining herself to be human LOL), But seriously, it's great to have a twist, a smart one.

We can borrow the rainy atmosphere and the look of Silent Hill from Downpour, the tram and the town itself and how it's worn out (For a change from the look of SH in the first and 2nd film). We can also show a part where the character was living a normal or let's say "has not been sucked into the world of SH yet" like how SH:Downpour started.

Make it something theatrical, something long about two hours or more to make us satisfied with it, to feel like we've been sucked into the town, the first movie did it but the second lost the sense of taking you to the world of SH as it felt like it's being played on fast forward.

I don't mind having some changes but at least don't alienate the fan from the atmosphere and the logic of the game. Let's not kill Eileen at the start of the film and make Henry fall for the Superintendent's daughter that we don't know while Cynthia turns out to replace the role of Walter LOL.

So yeah, I definitely want more films but I want them made by the right hands.
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer