I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, too!)

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Did You Enjoy It?

Yes
23%
It Had It's Good and Bad Points
35%
No
42%

Total votes: 144

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Re: I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, t

Post by JKristine35 »

It doesn't make sense to aim for the gamers who hated the movie. The ones who are the most vocal are a minority in the fanbase, and are the same ones who would hate the film for changing Vincent, so why put some stuff the same as the games and not others? Anyone who's ever actually read what these people have to say would also know that they are literally impossible to please. Just look at the number of people on facebook who declared they wouldn't watch Revelation the day it was announced a non-Asian would be writing it, or the types of people who wrote entire threads to say the film would fail because Heather's outfit wasn't exactly the same as in the game. These are the loud complainers, and it's a fact that they will never like any movie that is made, unless that film is a live action stringing together of cutscenes from the games.

These people are also not the reason to first film made $100 million in its theatrical run, another $22 million on American DVD (I've been unable to find figures for foreign DVD sales or any Blu-Ray sales), and countless more from sales of promotional materials. That money came from the fans of the film, the people who saw it multiple times at the theater, bought the DVD and/or Blu-Ray, bought those posters and 8 x 10s and other promotional items. They're the ones who told all their friends to go see it, and so increased the film's intake. So to tell these people that they are not important is bs.

But that's what they did, and now we have a film that has a critical review score that matches several of Uwe Boll's films, has made less than half of what the first pulled in (despite being released in the same number of theaters plus one) and has a lower reviewer score than the first on every single website that tallies reviewer votes. Good job, SHR makers. :(
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

These people are also not the reason to first film made $100 million in its theatrical run, another $22 million on American DVD (I've been unable to find figures for foreign DVD sales or any Blu-Ray sales), and countless more from sales of promotional materials. That money came from the fans of the film, the people who saw it multiple times at the theater, bought the DVD and/or Blu-Ray, bought those posters and 8 x 10s and other promotional items. They're the ones who told all their friends to go see it, and so increased the film's intake. So to tell these people that they are not important is bs.
The first movie was a modest success. With a 50 million dollar budget, it made almost 100 million Worldwide BO.

SHR will also be considered a modest success as it will probably reach around 50 million worldwide on a 20-28 million dollar budget. I will also put money on the movie doing well in the home market too. They should have brought the second Silent Hill movie out 4 years ago, and it would've had a shot to make more money. But half of people who saw Silent Hill in 2006 forgot about it.

I also don't think Bassett aimed just at the gamers. I think he wanted the movie to appeal to everyone.....So he tried to make a movie that continued the story of the first film and brought it closer to the original source material. Thats where most of the problems lie. You have a movie that tries to mimic SH3 will connecting it to a movie that changed many aspects of the game that preceded it.

Oh, and he tried to cram 6 hours or story into and hour and thirty minutes....He got most of it in there, but hot damn, the little things that matter were left on the cutting room floor.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Gamers, Fanboys, horror junkies, people who read fan fic, They're all part of a broad swath of extremely judgemental fans IMO. I suspect the producers do a lot of targeted marketing with these films.
makie
Just Passing Through

Post by makie »

I saw the movie yesterday and I liked it despite being everything but true to the games story. I see the movies kinda like Shattered Memories - as a "re-imagening" of the games.

One thing bothered me, though. (Sorry if this question has been answered already, I honestly didn't yet have the time to read through all 22 pages of this thread)
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
How was it possible for Rose to even realize that she was trapped in the mist world at the end of the first movie/beginning of SH:R? She seemed to be in trance, not knowing that she never had left Silent Hill. Maybe I missed something but the change of her state of mind was never explained and feels like a plothole to me.
makie is sorry for her bad english! >.<;
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

How was it possible for Rose to even realize that she was trapped in the mist world at the end of the first movie/beginning of SH:R? She seemed to be in trance, not knowing that she never had left Silent Hill. Maybe I missed something but the change of her state of mind was never explained and feels like a plothole to me.
Well, she may not have noticed at first, and I kind of agree.
And though this is pretty much nothing but an apologetic answer,
it's possible that over time it became obvious to her. That she broke out of the trance state she may have been in, if she was in one to begin with. Is there reason for her not to notice to begin with? Not really. But it's not as if she understands how everything works as we do. Do I totally believe this myself? Not wholly. Like I said; It's an apologetic veiw on it. A different approuch to something that's not so much a plot hole as something that's just not explained.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
makie
Just Passing Through

Post by makie »

Thank you for the answer :) It's almost the only explanation that makes sense and my boyfriend thinks the same. It's just unfortunate that something that could have been clarified with one or two scentences of dialouge was left up to the viewers imagination.

Another thing I just remembered is
why was it only the good part of Alessa that returned? At the end of the first movie, Cheryl carried Dark Alessa within her. So... was it the Seal of Metatron that Rose used to send her back that "cleansed" her?
makie is sorry for her bad english! >.<;
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It was only half the Seal, so it could only send half of her back, imo.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

Woops, I sent the wrong one ! Awkward ...
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

AuraTwilight wrote:It was only half the Seal, so it could only send half of her back, imo.
Patman wrote:Woops, I sent the wrong one ! Awkward ...
I love it.

Perhaps it's easier for the good people to get out of SH because they don't fit in with the town's dark nature. So far the escapee list is
Baby Sharon, teen Heather, Chris, boyfriend guy.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

boyfriend guy.
Who's also cousin guy. Incest by lack of paying attention by MJB. lol
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

Silent Fantasy wrote:
boyfriend guy.
Who's also cousin guy. Incest by lack of paying attention by MJB. lol
Or Fridge Horror.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Why was
Harry able to hop back into the otherworld at the end? I need to (and plan to) rewatch it, eventually, but a while after seeing the movie, I started wondering: how can he just decide he wants to go back and go?
I'm not a fan of that part of the ending.
haloofthesun
Just Passing Through

Post by haloofthesun »

If they weren't going for accuracy it was a pretty great movie, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It took a bit for me to get into it in the beginning though. But overall, I'd see it again but I wouldn't pay $10 like I did the first time.
Some days I feel like a Kenpachi Ramasama and other days I feel like The Shockmaster.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

phantomess wrote:Why was
Harry able to hop back into the otherworld at the end? I need to (and plan to) rewatch it, eventually, but a while after seeing the movie, I started wondering: how can he just decide he wants to go back and go?
I'm not a fan of that part of the ending.
You got it backwards. The three of them were still in Silent Hill, and Harry decided to stay instead of crossing back into the real world.
That's a lot easier to explain, imo.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

makie wrote:Thank you for the answer :) It's almost the only explanation that makes sense and my boyfriend thinks the same. It's just unfortunate that something that could have been clarified with one or two scentences of dialouge was left up to the viewers imagination.

Another thing I just remembered is
why was it only the good part of Alessa that returned? At the end of the first movie, Cheryl carried Dark Alessa within her. So... was it the Seal of Metatron that Rose used to send her back that "cleansed" her?
I think Dark Alessa chose to stay in Silent Hill because she never wanted to go back to the real world in the first place....
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

AuraTwilight wrote:
You got it backwards. The three of them were still in Silent Hill, and Harry decided to stay instead of crossing back into the real world.
You mean they were still in the otherworld at that point, and Heather and Vincent frolicked out of it? Either way, it's still someone deciding to come or go instead of it just... "happening," you know?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

phantomess wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
You mean they were still in the otherworld at that point, and Heather and Vincent frolicked out of it? Either way, it's still someone deciding to come or go instead of it just... "happening," you know?
Heather is Alessa--she has the power to control the Otherworld (although she isn't really cognizant of it until the movie's climax). She and Vincent left, and Harry chose to stay behind to search for Rose. Even in the Alessa-related games, it was her that decided when someone could leave, if I remember correctly.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

In the Mall
Heather is pulling into the Otherworld Mall dimension. Not geographically transported into the town of Silent Hill, right?
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

In the Mall
Heather is pulling into the Otherworld Mall dimension. Not geographically transported into the town of Silent Hill, right?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Correct.