Mall Scene Theory *SPOILERS*

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Mall Scene Theory *SPOILERS*

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

So I was thinking, in the Mall, we don't really see a shift to the Otherworld, at least not physically.

I was thinking, as Heather is starting to know things are going on, and the power within her is drawing her closer to Silent Hill, that the Mall scene showed the otherworld slightly merging with the real world "calling her". I mean this could also tie into the "they look like monsters to you" line from the game, but once the Balloon turns around to say Happy Birthday Alessa, thats when things change, yet the mall looks the same and it is populated with lots of people, even though they look like monsters to Heather. Even Douglas doesn't look at all concerned by anything until the Missionary comes along.
Could this be the otherworld showing Heather the "true nature of things"? Or could it be Valitel calling out to her?

The kids for example are in the same place, having a party, yet what Heather sees is the gruesome sight of kids eating gore. Same as the person on the Bench. Everything is normal except the gore on the tables that people are eating.

Is Heather really seeing this? Or is this the Otherworld having an influence on Heather only at this point.

What does everyone else thing? Could this be that because Heather is too far away from Alessa that the power of the otherworld isn't strong enough to fully transform everything? The first real transition we see is in Jack's Inn on the outskirts of the town.

What does everyone else make of this scene?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Mall Scene Theory *SPOILERS*

Post by AuraTwilight »

She's basically hallucinating until the Missionary attacks.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight wrote:She's basically hallucinating until the Missionary attacks.
I'm in complete agreement.
0uiled
Just Passing Through

Post by 0uiled »

Like they said hallucinations .
Everything is just being warped of twisted and no one looks like they're about to attack her.
Silent Hill is like a living thing and the fans are it's blood.
Silent Hill will lose blood time to time but it won't die that easily.
It can still make new blood.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

But her hallucinations would be coming from her mind that grew up in Silent Hill. I thought it could be the town calling her. And/Or, it could be Heather's way of sensing that something is about to happen, like the animals could sense the darkness coming in the first film.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

That is basically what I was thinking in a nutshell haha.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

tbonesays wrote:
But her hallucinations would be coming from her mind that grew up in Silent Hill. I thought it could be the town calling her. And/Or, it could be Heather's way of sensing that something is about to happen, like the animals could sense the darkness coming in the first film.
The town has no reason to be calling her; hell, the person in control of it, Dark Alessa, is specifically telling her to STAY AWAY.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I feel like the hallucinations are from Dark Alessa telling her to stay away, just like the dream in the beginning. Plus, isn't it said that the Order are trying to get her back? It's possible if it's not Alessa telling her "STAY AWAY" via scary hallucinations that the Order are using them to call her to them a la Alessa in the first film.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

The Order can plant hallucinations/visions too right? That's why she see's Leonard on the bus.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

If I recall, that wasn't Leonard, but some random old homeless guy who ended up to be more comical than he was disturbing.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

The man on bus was the first guy she met on the way to school?
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

The man on the bus was another random homeless guy who apparently loved Robbie the Rabbit....
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Mr.FLOOT wrote:as Heather is starting to know things are going on, and the power within her is drawing her closer to Silent Hill
I'm glad you pointed this out. One of the many things that bugged me is whether Heather has any control over the Otherworld. Within the circumscription of Bassett's retconning, Sharon and Alessa did not merge, therefore, Heather is still the innocent part; thus making out of Heather nothing more than the Order's pawn. Ultimately, one could conclude that Heather possesses no kind of ascendancy over the Otherworld. Nonetheless, in Jack's Inn, Vincent comments on the Otherworld as her work.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

mikefile wrote:
Mr.FLOOT wrote:as Heather is starting to know things are going on, and the power within her is drawing her closer to Silent Hill
I'm glad you pointed this out. One of the many things that bugged me is whether Heather has any control over the Otherworld. Within the circumscription of Bassett's retconning, Sharon and Alessa did not merge, therefore, Heather is still the innocent part; thus making out of Heather nothing more than the Order's pawn. Ultimately, one could conclude that Heather possesses no kind of ascendancy over the Otherworld. Nonetheless, in Jack's Inn, Vincent comments on the Otherworld as her work.
The way I saw it, Heather does have some form of power--she just can't control it until she merges with Dark Alessa. Remember, she did call Pyramid Head in the hallway when she needed help.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Yuki wrote:
mikefile wrote:
The way I saw it, Heather does have some form of power--she just can't control it until she merges with Dark Alessa. Remember, she did call Pyramid Head in the hallway when she needed help.
That was because Alessa sent PH in.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

tbonesays wrote:That was because Alessa sent PH in.
That's one way to see it, but nothing tangible backs it up.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Which "Alessa?"

It's incorrect if you mean Dark Alessa. She does absolutely nothing in the film to protect Heather. And Pyramid Head was never "sent" in by anybody like a letter, he was just called by Heather with her unrealized subconscious powers of control over the town; he's Alessa's protector and Heather happened to need protection at that moment.
Last edited by teosoleil on 19 Dec 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

teosoleil wrote:Which "Alessa?"

It's incorrect if you mean Dark Alessa. She does absolutely nothing in the film to protect Heather. And Pyramid Head was never "sent" in by anybody like a letter, he was just called by Heather with her unrealized subconscious powers of control over the town; he's Alessa's protector and Heather happened to need protection at that
This. Dark Alessa clearly wants Heather away from Silent Hill, and Heather herself specifically wishes for someone to protect her. Considering the journal she's left by Harry outright says that Pyramid Head serves that purpose, there's no reason to think Dark Alessa sent it.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Yuki wrote:
teosoleil wrote:Which "Alessa?"

It's incorrect if you mean Dark Alessa. She does absolutely nothing in the film to protect Heather. And Pyramid Head was never "sent" in by anybody like a letter, he was just called by Heather with her unrealized subconscious powers of control over the town; he's Alessa's protector and Heather happened to need protection at that
This. Dark Alessa clearly wants Heather away from Silent Hill, and Heather herself specifically wishes for someone to protect her. Considering the journal she's left by Harry outright says that Pyramid Head serves that purpose, there's no reason to think Dark Alessa sent it.
Christopher's book says that PH is a bodyguard for Dark Alessa. If the bodyguard shows up during at the asylum it's because DA commanded it. PH even works the merry-go-round when Alessa wants a ride.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

I'm of the opinion that Heather isn't supposed to have any powers. The powers one possesses in SH is usually a product of hatred and anger. Alessa specifically ripped off Sharon to conserve the remaining innocence she had left, incorrupted by this exact hatred and anger (i.e. darkness).

Therefore, logic dictates that Heather can't hold any psionic powers, as it's contradicory to her essence.

As much as it regards PH's arrival, it can be explained by the simple fact that Alessa sent him. There's no doubt he serves Alessa's purpose, as MJB pointed out to us (and the whole rest of the plot) as if we were infants trying to grasp the significance of a burning oven. 'PH good, Missionary --ouch! BAD!'. One can contradict the statement by saying that Alessa didn't want Heather near Silent Hill and wouldn't err. However, as it's true that Dark Alessa wanted Heather out of this hell, it's also valid to say that she wished such thing simply for Heather's sake. Dark A. wanted Heather out of the Otherworld in order to protect her. Here enters the 'Stay away!' warning dream. Hence, Alessa sends PH in order to save Heather- it was a rather 'Pyramid get your ass over here and save this stupid bitch of mine that's trying to get herself killed even though I warned her' standing.

Nevertheless, my certainty about the issue is as certain as my faith in Bassett's fabulous skills as a director.