Bassett tweeted...

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Bassett tweeted...

Post by ww_andi »

I liked the movie and i will be interested in what the commentary has to say, i wonder if he had to cut out a lot of content
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

MJB said something like "more emphasis on 3D effects [meaning simpler plot[" before it hit theaters. He probably won't say it outright, but might hint something like the producers told me 'Ahem, don't you dare make the audience think because they don't want to. Stick to video game violence broken up by a few speeches about love.'
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Don Carmody came right out and said the movie was going to be more 'mainstream' before Bassett even signed on...
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

resevil80 wrote:Don Carmody came right out and said the movie was going to be more 'mainstream' before Bassett even signed on...
This. Also, if investors are allowed to see the movie and they heavily disagree with anything, they will make changes. It's part of how the industry works. They may have thought it was too abstract in the first place, or Carmody/Hadida made him do things differently. I believe in Bassett's knowledge of the series.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Having a cult trying to use a little girl to birth a pagan god through a magical ceremony is not even close to being simpler than one who likes to burn witches. Carmody's quote had nothing to do with all the retcons, and I doubt investors had a say in it either, seeing as Bassett himself implied in some interviews that the only thing the first film did right was the visuals, and also stated repeatedly that he was intentionally bringing it back to a story that matched that of the games. The retconning is Bassett's doing and no one else's.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

JKristine35 wrote:Having a cult trying to use a little girl to birth a pagan god through a magical ceremony is not even close to being simpler than one who likes to burn witches. Carmody's quote had nothing to do with all the retcons, and I doubt investors had a say in it either, seeing as Bassett himself implied in some interviews that the only thing the first film did right was the visuals, and also stated repeatedly that he was intentionally bringing it back to a story that matched that of the games. The retconning is Bassett's doing and no one else's.
The theory is that the financiers told Basset to keep it simple and then he chose his own manner of retconnation.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

That makes no sense whatsoever, since the plot of Revelation was infinitely more difficult to understand. Changing Sharon's age from 9 to 11 does not make the plot easier to understand. Throwing in a reference to the town fire being faked does not make the film easier to understand. Changing the cult from a group of witchburners to one that burns little girls to give birth to their god in a magical ceremony is infinitely more confusing, not less. Adding a bunch of people living in the Otherworld made the film more confusing, not less. Having Alessa split again is not in any way easier to understand than explaining she recombined, especially since the film stopped every 2 minutes to talk about it anyway. Making Vincent and Heather incestuous cousins does not make the film easier to understand. There's simply no evidence that any of the multiple retcons was related to Carmody's comment about dumbing the film down.

Plus, I'd love to see the proof that the bad writing is the fault of everyone but the writer.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I guess it will be interesting to see if the original script gets onto the net like the first one did to see how much has changed. The Silent Hill 1 script had a lot of really decent things in it that weren't in the final film i.e. the Faith Healer storyline and the PH Ending.

I really want to read this script before I make any harsh decisions about Bassett.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I thought I posted here earlier, but it looks like I forgot to hit submit or something. *whoopsie*

Anyway, what I wrote earlier was that I would be interested in this as well. I didn't particularly love or hate the movie, but it would be interesting to hear his explanations for what happened. Things didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. Maybe understanding his thought processes would help ease the slight disappointment. It was pretty bad but it could have been so much worse, right? These days I guess I'm just too optimistic of a fan.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Changes in script are not definite indications that a writer was forced to change something. For example, Gans has stated repeatedly in interviews that the only thing the studio asked him to change was the lack of male cast members. That means that all of the other changes between the original script and the final movie were the result of the three writers coming up with new ideas that they liked more and discarding the old ideas. It's not uncommon in the least for a writer to change up huge parts of the story if they feel they've stumbled onto something better. Now if the original script for Revelation contains no retcons whatsoever, that would probably be different, but I highly doubt that's the case.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

JKristine35 wrote:That makes no sense whatsoever, since the plot of Revelation was infinitely more difficult to understand. Changing Sharon's age from 9 to 11 does not make the plot easier to understand. Throwing in a reference to the town fire being faked does not make the film easier to understand. Changing the cult from a group of witchburners to one that burns little girls to give birth to their god in a magical ceremony is infinitely more confusing, not less. Adding a bunch of people living in the Otherworld made the film more confusing, not less. Having Alessa split again is not in any way easier to understand than explaining she recombined, especially since the film stopped every 2 minutes to talk about it anyway. Making Vincent and Heather incestuous cousins does not make the film easier to understand. There's simply no evidence that any of the multiple retcons was related to Carmody's comment about dumbing the film down.

Plus, I'd love to see the proof that the bad writing is the fault of everyone but the writer.
There was nothing simple about part 1. Still I think JKristine makes a good point that the complications arise from retconning SHR to flow from part 1, whatever interpretation you took from it. SHR is Heather concluding the conflict between the Order and Dark Alessa.

I posted it a few times before, the first film is completed to have a sequel without retcons.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

JKristine35 wrote:Changes in script are not definite indications that a writer was forced to change something. For example, Gans has stated repeatedly in interviews that the only thing the studio asked him to change was the lack of male cast members. That means that all of the other changes between the original script and the final movie were the result of the three writers coming up with new ideas that they liked more and discarding the old ideas. It's not uncommon in the least for a writer to change up huge parts of the story if they feel they've stumbled onto something better. Now if the original script for Revelation contains no retcons whatsoever, that would probably be different, but I highly doubt that's the case.
Film scripts also quite commonly are written by someone initially, and then edited and changed by the next writer even if the original one is still credited.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I'm confused. Are you saying the first film's script was rewritten by different people at different times? If so, that contradicts what both Gans and Avary have said in interviews about it being a collaborative effort between 3 people.
Arsenic13
Just Passing Through

Post by Arsenic13 »

I hated the film but I like him well enough. I expected DeathWatch but bigger with Revelation, but that wasn't the case.

But think of it this way guys, producers have a lot of control over the film. These guys also make the Resident Evil movies, which have become incredibly terrible. There's always the possibility that Bassett tried his best with what they gave him.
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

JKristine35 wrote:I'm confused. Are you saying the first film's script was rewritten by different people at different times? If so, that contradicts what both Gans and Avary have said in interviews about it being a collaborative effort between 3 people.
Collaborative effort is a very broad term.
Often it is a nice way of saying, "we had to employ so many scriptwriters to make the plot marketable that even they don't know what it's about anymore". It was not as bad in that case, but collaboration does not mean that they sit around a big table and discuss everything...it can just as well imply that one person wrote a script, another corrected it and a third made it marketable at totally different points in time.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Except that nothing either Gans or Avary has ever said even so much as hints at anything like that. Everything they've both said suggests that all 3 of them worked on it together. Avary even has specifically stated that he wrote with Gans every single day, and that Boukhrief was called and spoken to about the script on a daily basis as well. According to Avary: "What we would do is finish a draft – we must have had 20 drafts – send it to Nicolas who would make some changes and then send it back to Christophe. Every single draft that we wrote had to be translated into French so that Christophe could read it properly. He actually speaks English really well and reads it very well, but still he wanted it translated. He would write his changes in French and then have them translated back into English, and I would change them so that they weren't just written by a translator. "
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

JKristine35 wrote:I'm confused. Are you saying the first film's script was rewritten by different people at different times? If so, that contradicts what both Gans and Avary have said in interviews about it being a collaborative effort between 3 people.
I'm saying that it's entirely possible--that's quite often how film scripts work. In the case of Gans, from your more-recent post, it got sent between them and changed.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

All 3 of them worked together on it everyday. There's was never any point where only one person was writing the script.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

"Victory has a thousand fathers while defeat is a lonely orphan."
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Gans and his buddy wrote the treatment without Avary. Avary then wrote a script based on the treatment by Gans and his friend. Then Gans and Avary worked together while they were making the movie. So there were times when the script for Silent Hill was being worked separately.