Do you think Silent Hill Origins was worth playing?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think Silent Hill Origins was worth playing?

Yes
76%
50/50
19%
No
6%

Total votes: 86

Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Do you think Silent Hill Origins was worth playing?

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Though I don't consider Origins to be a good Silent Hill game because it didn't follow a lot of things that were established in the first 4 games, I enjoyed playing it because I was scared. I like how it still maintained the 'feel' of Silent Hill, but once again, I don't consider it to be an accurate Silent Hill game.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
k0n0k0
Just Passing Through

Post by k0n0k0 »

Sure. Why not?

It's a silent hill game so as a fan of the series of course I would play it. And I did. Besides not being one of my favorites it was entertaining and I feel like complete as much as I can just like the other games. And I had some scares and felt uneasy in some parts like in old silent hill games. So yeah, overall it's worth playing.
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

Overall, yeah it is. Crappy plot and lazy enemy designs aside the game does have a real nice atmosphere; i.e. the game's soundtrack has some of the best ambient tracks in the series in my opinion. Now if I bought it full price I'd be rather annoyed considering how it only took me like 4 hours to beat it, but I got it for like 8 bucks so I'm not complaining. Some parts of the plot were cool though and could have been much better if they were fleshed out, namely anything dealing with Travis' parents instead of rehashing the cult plot. The whole intro to the boss fight with his dad was probably my favorite moment in the game and Travis' flashbacks were nice too. If they just ditched the whole idea of the game trying to be a prequel to the original and focused on just Travis instead it probably would have been better, if still kind of cliched.
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

0rigins wasn't quite my cup of tea (and yet I played through three times to get all three endings...). Do I think it's wroth it on a whole? Sure, it adds a new dimension to the story, and there were plenty of people who enjoyed it. Was it worth it for me? I think if not for my completionist nature, I would have been just as happy simply watching a Let's Play of it.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

Although the game has flaws I find the actual conceptual storyline very interesting possibly my favourite apart from Silent Hill 2.
The locations were not quite as artistic as previous games and the fact you seemed to go from major location to the other with nothing inbetween was annoying but the introduction of the mirror world added a new dimension to the game (in more ways than one).
What's the big deal - Laura
Kompwars
Just Passing Through

Post by Kompwars »

Origins did have flaws, which ima list below
-Game was short
-mental hospital stage was too long
-some of the monsters felt like rip-offs of the 2nd game
-story was too unfocused

But it still is a fun game. The dad boss is probably one of the best bosses in the series, and the atmosphere is pretty good. The accolades were fun to get, and the ufo ending was hilarious. Its flawed, but its still a good game.
RivenZero
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RivenZero »

^ I agree

I think it's good for a psp title. The short length of the game isn't all that bad for being on a portable. The game lasted pretty long for me the first time because I would only play my psp when I went out. Granted, the second playthrough only took me one sitting. (UFO ending)

I can imagine the PS2 version being disappointing. I've never played it but I can see how the length on a con could be a problem when comparing it to other SH titles.
Thanks again JuriDawn for the amazing avatar & sig!
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

^ The only disappointing thing about the PS2 version would probably be some weird glitches that may have come about during the port, but aside from that, the improved graphics were enough to make it worthwhile. I know that if they never ported Origins to the PS2 I would never have played the game since I feel that a portable SH game is odd, and would have missed out on a game that I actually enjoy quite a bit.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

This has got to be my least favorite in the series. I just can't get into the story at all. The whole "Origins" thing was just not necesarry, and not well done. If the story were just about Travis, and he was a more fleshed-out character, I would have liked it much better. It just ultimately seems like one of the more pointless Silent Hill titles.

It's still fun to play, though. It FEELS like a Silent Hill game, which is good. The atmosphere and music are great. I don't like how the otherworld was handled, which is one of the main gripes I have with the game. I understand it's for puzzle purposes but it felt to me like a way to make the game a tiny bit longer. And giving people control of the nightmare seemed.... well I just did NOT like that. Other than that (and besides being able to lug around TV's, toasters, and drip stands with no problem) another gripe was how the screen had this annoying filter when monsters were near. I get it. It worked for me in Shattered Memories, because it didn't FEEL as much like a filter. HEY! THERE ARE BAD GUYS HERE! And the screen snaps right back to normal after. Should have just re-used the radio in the same way. I can't remember if you can turn the filter off.

With my main gripes out of the way, I can say the game's still very worth playing. There are some cool things to see and experience for Silent Hill fans. My main gripes are only two, but they are two of the biggest things in the series, being story and handling of the "otherworld". My main problem was the loss of ambiguity. It was clearly presented as a dual world, effectively ignoring my favorite note in Silent Hill 2, the doctor's journal. It describes the "otherside" like this: "The 'otherside' perhaps may not be the best way to phrase it. After all, there is no wall between here and there. It lies on the borders where reality and unreality intersect. It is a place both close and distant." I don't know why people argue against that note from time to time. It is such a perfect explanation of the madness the town manifests.

Only other thing I gotta say... in regard to the Butcher, at LEAST it wasn't Pyramid Head. Everything else adds up to a fun SH game.

NOTE: I've only been playing the PS2 port of the game. Every time I think "well this just isn't quite as good, is it?" I remind myself "Shit, I'm playing a PSP game on the PS2 and hardly even noticed." So. Props for that, too.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Post by Garmonbozey »

50/50

The plot convolutes the story completely. There is no synthesis at all. Motivations differ, details alter. If you gave someone this before SH1 they would walk away hopelessly confused, but about the wrong things. The original was ambiguous to great effect. Origins, though, doing the opposite of what a prequel should do, only makes the original game harder to grasp for all the wrong reasons. It's like fan fiction that didn't pay enough attention to the plot of the first game and had the movie in mind with too many aspects.

The atmosphere, monsters, bosses, Travis' story, etc. are all great. It's worth playing as a mindless game environment, but the story is an abortion.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

The music and monster design were great! The story and puzzles where awful. I liked it. It was worth it.
silenthill23
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthill23 »

I've always like Origins a lot! Sure, it isn't comparable to SH 2 or 3 but it is really good. It still has that Silent Hill feel to it imo.

I never understood why people didn't like this game. It is better than Homecoming for sure (which I don't consider as too bad a game, but bottom on my list of SH favorites).
"If I could b anything, I'd b the water in your bath darling." - Prince
Steel Pipe
Just Passing Through

Post by Steel Pipe »

Second best...from the bottom(Homecoming reigns down there).I'm with peronmls on this one.Music yes,art direction yes,but overall...no.Although things are quite better on the psp version.
Every end does not appear together with its beginning.

~Herodotus~
DawnBraz
Just Passing Through

Post by DawnBraz »

I think if your a SH fan, you should play Origins just to experience it least once. I really disliked Origins. There was little I can say that I liked about it, and I have only completed the game once. But, I know some people really enjoyed it. So, you won't know if it was worth playing until you experience it for yourself.
Just Passing Through

Post by 911 »

I really liked Origins, there really is a SIlent Hill feeling in it even if you feel it isn't the same thing exactly. I loved Travis, great character. It's a better experience than SH4 or downpoor in my opinion. It has a SH3 feeling. It's a bit boring that we kind of already know the story about Alessa but it was nice to see it in "real" and not just explain like in SH1.
The story of Travis is nice but not that great. Thanks there was the story of Alessa besides it because if there was only Travis' Story it would have been really bad because it's not really well written.

SPOILER:
I LOVED the ending where you see Alessa with Cheryl in her arms.
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Is there anyway of knowing if Travis cameo in Homecoming was after or before origins ?
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

It has to be after, since Origins is before SH1, and Homecoming refers to the events of SH3 in one of the notes.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^ Not to mention the fact that Travis looks a lot older. The beard and the wrinkles, for example...
punchdrunk
Just Passing Through

Post by punchdrunk »

i enjoyed it. i especially liked the theater and the hotel.
The One who will lead us to Paradise.... with bloodstained hands....
SweetExplosion
Just Passing Through

Post by SweetExplosion »

To tell you all the truth, for the longest time, "Origins" was my only Silent Hill game (The reason being, I got frustrated by a glitch in 4, and kinda sold it, leaving me with just Origins). And even though I never got past the Sanitarium, It's still one of my favorites. The first 10 minutes of the game were really great IMO, and that little walk into Silent Hill, to the soothing voice of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn was totally awesome. However, if I ever did have a complaint about it, it was somehow TOO empty. I mean, Silent Hill is supposed to feel empty and devoid of life, but Origins took it to a whole new level! Especially when you're out in the streets. So, in short, it should be a part of any fan's collection,whether you really like it or not.