Screenplay

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

emFox
Just Passing Through

Screenplay

Post by emFox »

Found it a little while before release, cannot say where or how, but it is genuine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1qmjc2gsqvcscp/SHR3D.pdf

I didn't want to put it out there before the film was in theaters and out on video, since that didn't seem fair. Now that it is out, well, I consider it fair game.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Re: Screenplay

Post by KiramidHead »

I'm giving it a read now. I'm at about page 45, and it's a bit better than the movie so far. It's not completely different, most of the differences between page and screen are pretty minor. However, there are a couple of big ones so far, and one of them is definitely an improvement.
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

very cool, thanks. i'll give it a browse.
i disliked the movie, but think it would make a very good visual novel to mix still shots from sh: revelation with a novelization & moody music. Let our imaginations create the moody, creepy atmosphere better than the movie could.
Last edited by born2kill on 18 Mar 2013, edited 1 time in total.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Okay, final thoughts. In some ways this draft is better than the final film, in some ways, worse. There's less awkward exposition, but some things are left maddeningly vague. For example, the Seal of Metatron isn't the catch-all, do everything item that it is in the final film, but there's no explanation for why everyone wants it, how Rose got it, or why Leonard had it in his chest. :?

The Spiderquin sequence is still largely pointless, even when placed in a different context and with a neat callback to the classroom scene. It seems to confirm my theory that the scene was one that Bassett really liked and couldn't let go of it. That being said, it's also creepier in the script. 8)

There's also less cheese than the final film. The "you cannot defeat me line" is different, and the Robbie jump scare, well, isn't one. There's also fewer jump scare-y things in the script. The pop tarts certainly don't come off as one, at least. :wink:

The subplot with the cops is the handled much better than it was in the final film. They actually stick around a while longer, and the dumbass "is that a gang tag" line is nowhere is sight. However, it still has no real resolution.

The way Harry is handled is... weird. That is all.

The Missionary is entirely different, and much closer to the game, to boot. It still takes part in the finale, but not in quite the same way. Speaking of the climax, it plays out differently from the final film. It makes more sense, but on the other hand, it's too reminiscent of the ending to the first movie. Dahlia gets a brief resolution, to boot.

And, speaking of the first movie, here's the thing: this script actually retcons even more of it than the final film did. No, I'm not kidding. I like SHR fine, and can live with the retcons that made it to the screen. However, what happens in the script goes too far for me. It's downright bizarre, too, like some sort of fanfic script for an SH movie got spliced into one for the sequel. JK, you have to read this one now. :twisted:
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I can't even begin to express how ridiculous this is. The retcons in this script are somehow even worse than in the final film itself. Obviously, Bassett never watched the first film, and did not give one shit about its fans. Alessa burned in her own home? Sharon a stolen baby with Alessa's soul? Alessa creating the Otherworld in her house during the fire? Dahlia knowing that Alessa would have a ritual performed on her? LOL No, not even close.

ETA: Also, ROFL at Vincent and Heather having sex in the motel. Classy all the way.
UrsineVulpine
Just Passing Through

Post by UrsineVulpine »

I'd agree that it is better in certain parts, but its quite clear to me this is a pretty early draft and all those parts that really made no sense in relation to the first film were changed, in terms of how Alessa was burned and made Sharon and stuff.

Although, I am a little confused as to how they were even written in in the first place. Obviously Bassett knew he was making a sequel and knew he was making an adaption, so why write something that changes so heavily the story of the first? Like the retcons that we see in the finished film aren't and blatantly obvious as these and for example, there still being members of the order and stuff in Silent Hill, despite the events of the first film, I can just about stretch to accepting, but changing the way in which Alessa is burned is way too far, especially since it was physically seen in the first movie and we had that backstory already.

I don't think that Bassett hadn't seen the first film when he wrote this because you just don't write a screenplay having not seen the thing your making a sequel to or adapting, especially if you've got an okay budget behind it. It just wouldn't happen, so i'm confused as to why this happened.

On the whole though, i enjoyed reading it! Shame to see some things didn't make it through... and others.... well.... very glad they didn't make it to the final film!
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The thing is, those nonsensical additions were never changed, just left out. From every appearance, Bassett simply did not like the first film, and wanted to change it as much as possible. I'm guessing it was Hadida who forced him to leave out the the extra retcons, though there's still a disturbing amount of them left in the final film (what started the fire, the cultists still being alive, Sharon's and Alessa's ages, etc). The part about Sharon being someone else's child actually is still in the final film, since Dahlia has the same dialogue. The only change was that they pulled the flashback of Lisa handing Alessa the baby.

I simply do not understand why they didn't get someone who actually liked and respected the first film to write the sequel. If they were aiming for a rewrite, that would be one thing, but they obviously weren't. I can't even imagine Gans's reaction when he saw SHR. :?
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

JKristine35 wrote:I simply do not understand why they didn't get someone who actually liked and respected the first film to write the sequel.
Yeah, that'd have been cool. It would have been even cooler if they got someone who actually liked and respected the games to write both movies.
OH SNAP
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Yes, because changing parts of a story to suit a different medium and different audience totally means that Gans didn't like or respect the games. If he had ever claimed the film was in the same canon as the games, then you would have a point, but he didn't. I'm sorry, but you are simply ignorant on the subject matter to imply such a thing. Anyone who's bothered to read his interviews can see his vast love of the games. Hell, there's even a featurette on the French blu-ray release of Gans doing nothing but gushing about how much he loves SH2. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :)
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Since I didn't like the changes made to the first movie(The town being abandoned, the cult, the way and reason Alessa was burnt and the fact that Gans made Alessa the almighty controller of all things Silent Hill),I didn't care about the retcons. And this was pretty good, although it needed some dialogue work and another rewrite. The problem is Bassett said he wouldn't retcon the first film, so people being pissed about it is on him.

I do find Jk's faith in Hadida amusing though. I am sure he was all about making the best movie possible and staying faithful to the first film. Actually, I am sure he was all about the money, cutting the run-time down to an hour and half and shooting in 3D so it could be like Resident Evil.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

resevil80 wrote: I do find Jk's faith in Hadida amusing though. I am sure he was all about making the best movie possible and staying faithful to the first film. Actually, I am sure he was all about the money, cutting the run-time down to an hour and half and shooting in 3D so it could be like Resident Evil.
I'm going to agree with this--if there's one thing I've learned as a film studies student, it's that the bottom line is money. The way Bassett talked about the film and the franchise pre-release sounded like he knew his lore and was passionate about it, and while I'm positive he made mistakes while writing it, I'd wager that a lot of the constraints came from Hadida and whoever else financed the movie.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Bassett stated before filming even began that he doesn't like making long movies, and that he likes things short and sweet. Considering Hadida gladly allowed Gans to turn in a film of over 2 hours, I don't see why everyone wants to blame him for Revelation's runtime.

Bassett didn't really ever talk about the lore of the first film, except to say it had a difficult ending to work a sequel around. He also never claimed to be passionate about the first film, even making statements in interviews that heavily implied the only thing he thought was good about Gans's film was the atmosphere. There's really no reason to believe he was tied to the lore of the first film at all, and the script proves that he wasn't.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

He was passionate about the game lore, not the first movies lore so much. Two different things. And after reading this draft, its obvious he had a longer film in mind.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

JKristine35 wrote:Bassett stated before filming even began that he doesn't like making long movies, and that he likes things short and sweet. Considering Hadida gladly allowed Gans to turn in a film of over 2 hours, I don't see why everyone wants to blame him for Revelation's runtime.

Bassett didn't really ever talk about the lore of the first film, except to say it had a difficult ending to work a sequel around. He also never claimed to be passionate about the first film, even making statements in interviews that heavily implied the only thing he thought was good about Gans's film was the atmosphere. There's really no reason to believe he was tied to the lore of the first film at all, and the script proves that he wasn't.

I said nothing about the lore of the first film--I was referring to the series as a whole.

I'm also not saying that Hadida (possibly) did a shorter film just for the sake of it. The way Bassett wrote about it made it sound like he wanted a somewhat longer film, but the advertising (which I'd wager Hadida, being producer of SH and RE, had a part in) referred to it as a thrill ride, implying it was going to be shorter from the onset.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

But again, Bassett stated repeatedly that he likes keeping his films short. Further, I've never heard of "thrill ride" in any way suggesting length. It suggests cheap scares, not how long the film will be. I still don't see why people aren't blaming Bassett for the length when he himself said he wanted it short even before production began.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Bassett was still trying to sell the film and if he knew what he had to do, he wouldn't come out at that point and say anything.

I mean, we should have seen this coming since the almighty Carmody said the movie was going to be dumbed down and mainstreamed long before Bassett was attached.

I would also like to point out that Bassett pretty much says in the commentary for the deleted scenes that most of it was cut because the runtime kept coming up and that he wanted the movie to have more of a slow build and not the rushed paced that the movie ended up using.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

So far we've heard mjb likes low budgets and short films. He might as well announce he prefers the solitude of empty theatres.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Is the pop tart jump scare in the original script?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

It's there, but it doesn't read like a jump scare.
Droo

Post by Droo »

One thing that definitely improved from page to screen, then.

The Pop Tart Jump Scare > everything.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"