There's no such thing as stupid questions ... Downpour FAQ

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

TommyC
Just Passing Through

Re: There's no such thing as stupid questions ... Downpour F

Post by TommyC »

Hey everyone, just wondering about a few stuff.
1. In the Execution ending, why did Murphy get the death sentence and Napier got a lesser sentence than him?
2. Exactly how many escaped prisoners are there that we find throughout Silent Hill? I have a tough time tallying them... there seems to be more then what we see in the bus.

Also...I'd assume that Murphy had a fear of birds because of the hidden message in the Orphanage. And seeing his reactions to the birds every time, too. There's also some other stuff that made me think so, but I wonder if anyone else came across that thought too?

And about those Weeping Bats...
In the caves where you encounter them, isn't there this huge sign that talks about the natives and the Weeping Bats? Thought I'd mention it because it says something about them being protective of their young and how they cried "tears" assumingly because they were trapped in a deep dark cave. Kinda sounds like Murphy. You know, with Charlie and all that.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

1. In the Execution ending, why did Murphy get the death sentence and Napier got a lesser sentence than him?
2. Exactly how many escaped prisoners are there that we find throughout Silent Hill? I have a tough time tallying them... there seems to be more then what we see in the bus.
1. I would suggest Anne had something to do with it, considering her desires for vengeance.

2. Uh....what are you talking about? We only meet one, don't we?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

AuraTwilight wrote:
2. Uh....what are you talking about? We only meet one, don't we?
I believe he might be referring to some of the dead prisoners you come upon that you find around town here and there.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I love the Screamers, but I feel their looks in earlier builds of the game were scarier.
I wonder why they changed them?

I couldn't find any photos, but here's some low-quality gameplay footage of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffrbtzt1Nbc

I like them a lot there. Their hair works with the physics there, swaying & such.
They look taller & with more tattered clothes than the final product.
Even their vocalizations are superior, I think.

EDIT: I found an "ok" photos. You can see the Screamers' hair in the background work with the physics engine, & take note of the extremely decrepit clothing of the Screamer in the foreground. http://binarymessiah.files.wordpress.co ... _sc_01.jpg
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

i don't think they changed them at all. the only thing is that in the screenshot you posted, things look much cleaner and detailed than how the game actually looks... it's not uncommon for that to happen as developers sometimes pass off photo-shopped images as reality, but i was really let down when i saw how Downpour actually looked while playing. The lack of aliasing and poor textures really stuck out.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

The Screamers in the video have flowing hair, whereas in the final game it's static.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

thy_butcher wrote:The Screamers in the video have flowing hair, whereas in the final game it's static.
No, you're right. Their hair was actually wavier in the earlier footage. There's another video that shows them more in this demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwO7jkqRd0Y

(On an unrelated note, I also found it interesting that Murphy is saying "Come on, come on, come on...!" while he's coming out of the basement, when he now says "Finally, back outside..." in the final product. The more I watched some of the earlier videos, I realized they changed quite a bit of Murphy's dialogue in the game. For instance, he curses less now than in some of the demos I have seen. Which makes me wonder what their reasons for changing some of his lines were.)
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

So apparently the Silent Hill Downpour patch is out for Xbox.
Does anyone have it yet?
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Does anybody even care anymore? i mean its already 7 months old and from what i've heard, the stuttering is still there. So i dont see how the patch is going to make the game any better.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

If you don't care, then don't post.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

AuraTwilight wrote:If you don't care, then don't post.
That's not for you to decide.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

if you want to talk about the xbox patch, do so here in the thread for it

This thread was made for discussions regarding character/story questions.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Lots of Questions and Doubts

Post by NemesisFY »

I won't be using the FAQ thread since there is so much content to be discussed in this thread I believe it deserves it's own thread.

About the ending:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I died as the boogeyman (great to be play as the powerful one, for once, crushing everything with that hammer and walking slowly and fearless haha) and then Anne Cunningham was lying in the bed inside the prison cell, and Murphy was the guard, releasing her saying the same words George Sewell said in the beginning of the game "Rise and shine cupcake, you know the drill"
Bloody hell! So I played Anne the entire game? So Murphy is George? So Murphy Is Anne? Is Anne Murphy? So who killed Napier? Who is Frank then and what happened to George?!

I really didn't understand this ending.

Is it even possible to kill her with the boogeyman? He is so slow...
I finished the game, the credits rolled down and such and I gained no trophy, no new game plus or something, no results, nothing! And I still have five bloody hidden trophies, what are those?

In the prison, facing prisoner minions and juggernauts, Murphy would press his hands on his ears, like if there was a screamer screaming, but none was there. He also would fall to the ground and X would appear with the word "PUSH". What that a bug?
They don't say much, who is Napier? Was he a child molester or a child psycho killer? How did he kill Charlie Pendleton? (not the murder method, rather, how did he get to Charlie in the first place)? Murphy says "You don't remember me, do you?" So how did he meet him, was he close to the family or something?
In the credits, what are those names, they all look like polish or hungarian, perhaps even novgorodian.

Has anyone else noticed they added our forum to the list of Thank you? There it is, Silent Hill Heaven haha.

And why are they all made by europeans, isn't it supposed to be made by japs, and what is Vatra anyway? Konami is now handling the games in a third company?

Has anyone managed to get the Good Behaviour Trophy, do you need to let all creatures alive or simply incapacitate 'em?

I found a sixth bird. After I finished the quest. lol
fudgestix

Re: Lots of Questions and Doubts

Post by fudgestix »

NemesisFY wrote:I won't be using the FAQ thread since there is so much content to be discussed in this thread I believe it deserves it's own thread.

About the ending:
I died as the boogeyman (great to be play as the powerful one, for once, crushing everything with that hammer and walking slowly and fearless haha) and then Anne Cunningham was lying in the bed inside the prison cell, and Murphy was the guard, releasing her saying the same words George Sewell said in the beginning of the game "Rise and shine cupcake, you know the drill"
Bloody hell! So I played Anne the entire game? So Murphy is George? So Murphy Is Anne? Is Anne Murphy? So who killed Napier? Who is Frank then and what happened to George?!
You’re better off getting the other endings before asking this, as they fill in some of these questions better. The one you got is the least satisfying of all the endings in my opinion.
NemesisFY wrote: I really didn't understand this ending.
Is it even possible to kill her with the boogeyman? He is so slow...
Yes
there is a move to swing the hammer and a move to crack the ground. I’m not sure which console you’re on, but if you play around with the action buttons in this scene, you’ll see which is which. You can crack the ground to slow her down and then kill her.

NemesisFY wrote:I finished the game, the credits rolled down and such and I gained no trophy, no new game plus or something, no results, nothing! And I still have five bloody hidden trophies, what are those?
There are 6 endings in total.

NemesisFY wrote:In the prison, facing prisoner minions and juggernauts, Murphy would press his hands on his ears, like if there was a screamer screaming, but none was there. He also would fall to the ground and X would appear with the word "PUSH". What that a bug?
Not sure about this one, the game has a few bugs though so it’s possible that’s what it is.

NemesisFY wrote:
They don't say much, who is Napier? Was he a child molester or a child psycho killer? How did he kill Charlie Pendleton? (not the murder method, rather, how did he get to Charlie in the first place)? Murphy says "You don't remember me, do you?" So how did he meet him, was he close to the family or something?
He was their
neighbour
http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 61#p646761
NemesisFY wrote:In the credits, what are those names, they all look like polish or hungarian, perhaps even novgorodian.
Vatra are Czech
NemesisFY wrote:Has anyone else noticed they added our forum to the list of Thank you? There it is, Silent Hill Heaven haha.
Yes http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24467
NemesisFY wrote:And why are they all made by europeans, isn't it supposed to be made by japs, and what is Vatra anyway? Konami is now handling the games in a third company?
The series hasn’t been made by a Japanese team since The Room. Those that made up "team silent" move onto other projects and Konami has passed it around other teams since. Also, please refrain from using the term "Jap", I'm sure you didn't mean it in offence, but it's generally better to be safe than sorry.
NemesisFY wrote:Has anyone managed to get the Good Behaviour Trophy, do you need to let all creatures alive or simply incapacitate 'em?
You need 0 kills.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

I kind of replayed the game and I just wanted to know, that the hell happens at the start of it when anne dies (falls of cliff)? and why is murphy not so surprised to see her later? he doesn't even say "wow, you should be dead!" (as far as I remember). was that really anne? did she just fall and wake up somewhere else? I know the town has the power to move things in time and space (duhh, james jumping ginormous holes). After thinking of that it kind of makes me wonder if the anne we see in the town is real. maybe she just died in the bus accident.

and one more thing:is the orphanage somehow related to the cult? I'd like to have seen more of it, like, a creepy side of the orphanage, where they teached children about the cult's god. but again, the otherworld wasn't explorable in this game.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Who knows what happened to Anne?
As I recall it, Murphy is shocked by her appearance.
I think he's seen so much up to that point that he realizes reality isn't quite in place anymore, so he doesn't question it too much.

He's confused, tired, hurt, & scared; not to mention there's a gun pointing at him.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I think that being attacked by two different kinds of monsters, chased by a sentient black hole, and mocked by a giant fuck off face all make resurrection a little less shocking.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

CandyLander wrote: After thinking of that it kind of makes me wonder if the anne we see in the town is real. maybe she just died in the bus accident.
No, the Anne we see is real. The young Anne, however, is a manifestation from Anne's psyche brought back from the power of the town.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I sort of figured she wasn't
dead
because it was clear from the opening segment of the game (when she had the sunglasses) that she had an axe to grind and was going to be a main character in the game.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

It turns out murphy does find it weird to see her ressurected http://youtu.be/pG4OC_tgO7Y?t=20m

he says "but I saw you", as if " but I saw you fall off that cliff"!

I still think it's weird though, that anne was seen dying. I'm not saying she's not real, I'm saying the anne in the town might not be real. just like we see maria die in silent hill 2.

Another scene that kind of makes me think that anne's not real is when she appears in the boat even though she wasn't there before. she just teleports there. http://youtu.be/NhV1c4H4R2U?t=13m57s

and how was murphy shot in the boat but wasn't feeling any pain at all when he wakes up in the prison? Anne didn't really shoot him physically, she just stopped him and got him back to the town. she's not real.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...