Silent Hill 5: Pros (What you like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Silent Hill 5: Pros (What you like)

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

The flashlight in the game is the same one in Jacob's Ladder.
Nel
Just Passing Through

Post by Nel »

Homecoming was my first game and my favourite. The first thing that got me was the title screen video. It really made an impact on me and I like the voice acting, for me it was scary. And Alex is good looking. Thank goodness nearly all the games have nearly only male protagonists, I guess... My first playthrough I had to stop and cry. I guess I'm easily scared but it made me think this is what Hell would be like and I was forced to go through it.
I also liked the effectiveness of the story. I could relate to Alex as I have four younger siblings. When I first started I was like "Oh, okay, I'll just find Josh." and thought like that until the very end. I was so angry, in a good way, at those people that just wouldn't cooperate with him. All that work really supported the ending. It shocked me.
I would also like to add that the baby crying in the beginning really hit me as the older sibling.
That's what I like about Homecoming.
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

-The design of some of the monsters and bosses was quite good
- The details and the graphics are still holding up even after these 5 years.
- The plot itself is meager but I was still kind of moved by the fact the children were sacrificed by their parents (although the reason is lame, sounds like its ripped of from Alone in The Dark 2, from 1992)
- Two areas were downright creepy: the hospital & the doctor's hell (where you find scarlet), other areas are boring.
ShiningBind
Just Passing Through

Post by ShiningBind »

The designs of the bosses were pretty cool
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

First of all, Homecoming is a compelling game because it's engaging. Alex is a great character. You can relate to him, and you can't help but like him obviously.

The story is more straight forward than what we got in other installments, but it's still interesting. I think the multiple ending allow the player to really change the way they see the story, and that's awesome.

The fighting is well thought out. You can really handle your own, but the monsters are still threatening and scary (if you play on hard). Scarlett is really tough on hard mode.

The mood is incredible. It's creepy, it's sad, it's dark, and there is a sense of doom which is powerful.

The way they expanded on the mythos, and how Shepard's glen was linked to Silent Hill was interesting. The real monsters were the human, which made the fights against them creepier imo. The final chapter, while really different from what you would expect in a Silent Hill game, was really engaging.
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

-The character Alex is a pyscho instead of an army vet.Seems more creepy
-the monsters design the ones that weren't recycled were interesting for Alex's (even though I thought some of the symbolism in the monsters were over the top or blend)
-changing controls to fit the characters movement was nice.
-music was nice
-graphic weren't bad
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

Post by eddieatemypizza »

i enjoyed alot from this game. the locations, graphics, music, characters, weapons, monsters (scarlett was incredbile). My personal favorite was the scenary outside of the church, where the sky is red..It was like holy F***, crap just hit the fan.

i liked alot from this game, everything but the plot.
zeo
Just Passing Through

Post by zeo »

One of the only things I liked was the Fog. I know that's strange to say for a silent hill game, but it's true, the thing I liked the most was the dense fog. The Mother character was cool, when you first show up to greet her when she's in the rocking chair and she seems haunting and eerie.
arthurdepr
Just Passing Through

Post by arthurdepr »

I like Homecoming, quite a lot even... but the thing that I like the most about that game is the first teaser they released back at E3... 2007, I guess. Man, it's just so fucking cryptic, eerie and awesome! Here's he link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9wyr31L0Zo

I just love it.
~ Evil shall with evil be expelled. ~
silenthill23
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthill23 »

Homecoming was a great game imo! It had one of my favorite Otherworld designs and bosses/monster designs too. It was disturbing too haha, sure it isn't the best but It is a good game.

I don't really get the haters. It is best if you don't compare recent SH's to the earlier SH's. That way, I think, people would enjoy them more.
"If I could b anything, I'd b the water in your bath darling." - Prince
Shepherdsglen555666
Just Passing Through

Post by Shepherdsglen555666 »

So better controls then previous games, nice and solid game play thou difficulty kinda sets in at times.
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

The graphics were decent in some areas, Alex's character model was kinda nice graphically, some of the music was ok, I liked some of the otherworld designs, the plot that had nothing to do with Josh's fate was decent, great bosses, and most of the regular monster designs were pretty good.

There is nothing truly praise worthy about the game (besides some of the bosses, like Scarlet), but it has a lot of decent things about it. I would praise the combat if it wasn't for it being built as an easy rhythm type of system. With some tweaks to it I could see it being pretty fun and challenging.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Save for Book of Memories, Homecoming is the last one I've experienced. I started with SH3. I actually really enjoy it (I'm at the final boss)--while I know the storyline thanks to reading the Wiki, the way it's presented it's not too predictable, and I love the monster designs. I think it's a decent game that could have been a lot more polished.
EvertonFC
Just Passing Through

Post by EvertonFC »

Having played all the silent hill games I have too say whilst not as good a development as the earlier ones from Team Silent, homecoming has for me the best storyline with the founding family child sacrifices. What I would say is though the producers could have made the ending more deep with Alex and Josh's corpse after Amnion's defeat. It was clear throughout the game how much Alex loved Josh despite the envy that he obviously felt from his "favouritism" with his parents.

I think Alex being more distraught/holding onto josh's hand would of made the ending that much more emotional and also meaningful as once or twice during the game the pair look to connect/interact only to be again separated (in the hospital Alex holding the bunny rabbit out to josh for him to reach and subsequently run away) and in the hotel when Alex tries to get josh to help him up but to only fall again showing that missing connection.
DawnBraz
Just Passing Through

Post by DawnBraz »

I really liked the boss battles. The monsters look great and fit in well with the SH universe. Scarlet is probably one of my all time favorite boss fights. She has such cool and creepy design, even the way she moves around is eerie.

I also enjoyed the music as well. I find myself listening to the soundtrack quite a bit. I especially tracks like "Witchcraft" and "One More Soul to the Call".
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

The characters, Alex is a really likeable main character, and so Elle, i kinda like how game showed they had a thing, don´t know if was the first time SH had something like a "couple" but i liked it.

The monsters, including bosses, were well designed imo. Including the sexy nurses (sorry for objectifying women) tho they have a reason for being so.

The combat, people can´t complain about bad controls on a horror game, but this one had actually good controls imo.

The symbols, some of them are pure brilliance, as much as people bash this game for a few flaws, i simply love coming here and discovering new stuff about homecoming.

Whole exploring and dark theme, fog, it´s one of the more dark SH imo, i really like it.
DinoNerd89
Just Passing Through

Post by DinoNerd89 »

Its an unpopular opinion, but i liked the free aim. As someone who knows how to use a firearm, It always annoyed the shit out of me, when a character misses a shot that should of been a dead on hit.