BoM gets patch, DLC incoming

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

BoM gets patch, DLC incoming

Post by thy_butcher »

Rely on Horror shared a link on facebook that detailed the arrival of a patch/update as well as to-be-released DLC. Considering it's Tuesday, the DLC may release today.

The details are in the link - http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news ... -incoming/

My favorite bit of news? New enemies!
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Re: BoM gets patch, DLC incoming

Post by Yuki »

Wow, I didn't expect it to get updated at all.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I downloaded the patch. I want to also add that ontop of what that article claims, Tomm Hulett claims on his blog that you can also unlock playable James and Heather!
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Wooooooah yes good.

I'm also surprised there was an update at all but I just got the game two weeks ago and this is pretty sweet to find so early on in my owning of it.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Oh, did the DLC ever come out? If it's cheap I might get it, but I can't really justify spending more than like $5 on just outfits and weapons.
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

...and monsters, and notes, and scare rooms, and trophies. :)

And rebalanced difficulty.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I thought the rebalanced difficulty came with a free patch, or is it part of the DLC?

Well, I checked PSN and there it is, and it's $5. I'll definitely pick it up if it's got all of that and is only $5. I'm curious, though, where do the new monsters and notes show up? Are they randomly scattered throughout the game or are there specific places one has to go to see them? From what I understand this Expansion Pack isn't adding any new levels.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Will I have to start a new character in order to use the DLC, or will it seamlessly merge with my existing character after I purchase, download & install it?
Does anybody know? (Ahem, PyramidFace) :)
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, the Expansion Pack pretty much remakes the game by scattering material through it. I'm not sure if you have to start a new character; I pretty much did one since I was giddy to play as JAMES AND HEATHER.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

It's scattered throughout. I think the frequency increases after zone 21.

You don't need to start a new character--the DLC actually comes with several Identity Stones, so you can fool around with new classes commitment free.

BTW guys, there's currently a live tweet event at #BOMQA for 90 more minutes where you can ask the director questions.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I finally was able to download the DLC and head back into Book of Memories.

I went ahead and made my character the Cosplay one and the dialogue is simply hilarious. My friend and I were literally cracking up. Worth the $5 right there, amazing. Perfect.

Also, is that Laura Bailey? That sounds like Laura Bailey. I'm pretty sure that's Laura Bailey. I love Laura Bailey. :D
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

So I bought the patch today and I haven't been able to find an answer to this. I tried to jump right in with a new character but the same amount of classes were available as standard. I instead loaded up the file I'd gotten my first ending in (haven't gotten farther than that) and couldn't access any identity stones the DLC supposedly gave, nor was I able to access the other new classes once I backtracked and bought a separate stone myself. Is there something I'm missing? I don't think it prompted me for the patch, either, so I don't know if it's glitching or what.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

You can download the patch manually, there should be an option for it on the page for the game (like if you have the game on, press the PS button and when all the info pops up that take you out of the game, there should be an option to download the patch there). Also make sure you install both the patch and the DLC you bought. Just downloading it isn't enough, check your activity bubble and see if it has stuff waiting to be installed. Sorry this isn't worded better, but hopefully you get what I mean.

I can confirm that the DLC does add the stuff to your existing characters, so you don't need to make a new one or anything. It should give you 4 or 5 Identity Stones, which is how you know it worked.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Oh, thanks for the help! I'm sorry if this is going to sound weird or convoluted also, I'm still learning the system myself.

Here's the basic run down of what happened so far: I downloaded the DLC, saw that it was waiting to be installed so I went into the game and it applied the DLC (had the installation bar and everything), then told me the installation was complete. This was where I started trying to access the DLC but it wasn't working. From what you suggested I gave a clean restart to the system because I had a lot of extra crap in the PS button's dash and I started out there with just Book of Memories. I pressed the PS button, it took me to the foldered menu but I'm not seeing anything for a DLC or patch, just the home, BoM, empty slots, and three unrelated advertisements at the bottom. Is there a specific icon I'm overlooking or...?

Edit: I've located the manual patch/update button! I'll update again if I get the DLC to work.

Edit2: YEP! Okay, for anyone who has my problem, just make sure you install the patch or else the DLC won't work because it's running on the patch+ software. If you're confused like I was, when you first press the game button and it takes you to the title screen where it asks you to "start" the game, there should be a small yellow circle in the top section beside a few other icons including a book; that's the patch button, just tap it and it'll ask you to install the most recent patch.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna go play the hell out of this now.
mikezilla2
Just Passing Through

Post by mikezilla2 »

so is there any real story in the game ?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

There is, but it's not told in the same way as other Silent Hill stories. It's left open-ended and vague because of the fact that you're basically customizing your character, but they do experience personality development of a sort.
mikezilla2
Just Passing Through

Post by mikezilla2 »

sweet so what might i like about this that i enjoyed in every other silent hill ? have yet to finsh origins and still have to play shatterd memoreis but other wise im up to date , are there cinematics ? and whats the cheapest one could exspect to pay for the pal version ? looking to import im thinking .....
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

There's a couple of cinematics in the beginning, and for the endings, but the story is mostly told in diary pages and audio clips, simply because the alternative would negatively impact multi-player.

It's hard to describe what one would like about it without ruining the experience. It's very much a different type of game in almost every respect, but I still feel the touch of Silent Hill there. Story-wise, the character is essentially meant to be 'you', and the things they think and talk about would be something anyone can do.

It's mostly a combat-based game, being a spinoff, but they make it work. It's basically everything you love thrown together in a stew with no regards for canon, like going to a themed amusement park. Enjoy it for what it is, and you'll be fine.
mikezilla2
Just Passing Through

Post by mikezilla2 »

cheers thats what i throught , also damn might make a separate thread but has anyone found a way to play the silent hill arcade game besides going to japan ?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Some arcades across the US and the UK have it. It's not common, I don't think.