Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 17 Aug 2018

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Don Carmody: Third SH film installment being discussed

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
This was apparently received in an email response from producer Don Carmody's official website email. If this is true (and the title matches the title of emails I've received after contacting Don through his official site), I'm not sure whether to be happy or scared. NO BASSETT PLEASE!!!!

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Don Carmody: Third SH film installment being discussed

Missing since: 30 Sep 2009
Notes left: 563
Last seen at: Centennial Building
He's just the producer, he shouldn't have too much of a hand in it. I just hope decent writing for a change and better acting (wasn't too shabby before). The only thing Basset did good last time was making a pavement for more unrelated stories to take off. Even with retconning a bunch.
I still prefer a 'restart' on the silent hill movie series. Even without an Alessa prestory. Just an odd creepy town with strange powers like Silent Hill 2. Biggest problem with that is the retconning and overal displeasure (or pleasure) of having to forget that the last 2 movies; as if they never happened.

"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton

Gravedigger

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 548
Last seen at: Phoenix
I took it to mean they were satisfied with SHR, someone please cure my pessimism.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
I'm afraid it's terminal.

There's no way Silent Hill is enough of a thing for the games to justify more movies, by their own virtues, at this point.

Personally, I hope they find it costs too much to bother with. Between my non-viewing of Revelation and my non-buying of the HD Collection and Book of Memories (and my not finishing Downpour), I've turned into the picture of a lapsed Silent Hill fan.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 29 Oct 2009
Notes left: 187
If they do another one, I think I'm with ashatteredmemory--they should reboot it. Find a writer who understands character better than Bassett, and won't get so wrapped up in trying to explain the mechanics of how the town works. (DREAM LOGIC! It's what's for dinner!)

tbonesays, this is complete conjecture, but part of me wonders if the only reason Don Carmody's considering making another one is so that they can retain the movie rights, sort of similar to how Fox pumps out another X-Men movie every other year so they don't have to give it back to Marvel. Which is why I kind of hope Carmody follows the example of Sony's big Marvel property, Spider-Man, which they rebooted basically so they could hold onto those rights, and that turned out fairly well.

Odds are they're not going to reboot it, though. Ah, well. As long as they keep swinging, they're bound to hit the ball out of the park at some point, right? ...Right?

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 565
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
I, myself, had always wondered if a reboot was neccessary for a fresh start. I guess one could pull it off in the same universe, by ditching of course the previous Alessa storylines and Bassett's 'subtle' final hints for potential sequels. I mean, the storyline of the two movies is dumb as hell and poorly executed, but it leaves the Otherworld mechanics intact (most of the part).

That is, one could use this universe's Otherworld to create this time something that makes some sense and something that's called 'logical coherence', obviously if the new producer don't mind the past stain the movie production left. Yet if I were producing it, I don't know if I could just go over it.

Gravedigger

CrypticIdentity wrote:
Ah, well. As long as they keep swinging, they're bound to hit the ball out of the park at some point, right? ...Right?

Or whack themselves in the head.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I'm still of the optimistic mindset that more Silent Hill content is good, even if it's bad. Here's hoping for the best.

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
I'd love to see another one, preferably original rather than based on the games. I found the second film to be a lot of fun, if not necessarily "good".

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I'm not really sure I care anymore. The series doesn't need to die, but I feel as though the vocally-conservative bunch who wants every game to be 1, 2, or 3 over and over have made the prospect of innovation unpalatable in terms of investment.

Gravedigger

Ryantology wrote:
I'm not really sure I care anymore. The series doesn't need to die, but I feel as though the vocally-conservative bunch who wants every game to be 1, 2, or 3 over and over have made the prospect of innovation unpalatable in terms of investment.

Well by elimination they can still film the 2nd game where Sean Bean goes in search of Rahda Mitchell and Deborah K Unger has 3 minute cameo forcing it all into the vg's plot. Somewhere MJB is beaming.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3227
I think at this point no matter what the Silent Hill franchise does there is going to be a legion of people ranting and raving how terrible it is and how the franchise needs to die. So, honestly, whatever. I mean I hated the first two movies but there are people who liked them. If a third movie comes out, I hope some people like it. If they do, then it's justified it's existence. After the second movie, I won't be going to see any more. But that's just me.

I'm waiting to see what happens with the next game, personally. I'm still upset Tomm is gone, but I'll always be looking forward to the next Silent Hill.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 06 Nov 2011
Notes left: 402
Not surprising, considering the critical acclaim Revelations received.

Of course I'm looking forward to anything that comes out. I just hope this film has a good plot this time, with better character development and atmosphere.

Sad to see that they're considering Kickstarter. That sounds like such a downgrade.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
From the wording used, it looks more like whoever emailed Carmody suggested Kick Starter, but Carmody said they wouldn't do it like that.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 30 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Overlook Hotel
They need to give up. I don't understand why they bother making SH movies if they don't put any effort into them. The last one was so bad I didn't last 10 minutes into it. lol

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 08 Aug 2011
Notes left: 919
Last seen at: Ohio
I know these werent the worst game to movie or cartoon to movie films. I like to see another maybe it could get better. Im down for a 4 or 2. Dont want to see a Downpour and i hope akira comes back and maybe ito can have another chance to work on this.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
silenthell88 wrote:
They need to give up. I don't understand why they bother making SH movies if they don't put any effort into them. The last one was so bad I didn't last 10 minutes into it. lol

Badmouthing a movie you didn't even stay to finish watching. Classy.

Quote:
I'm waiting to see what happens with the next game, personally. I'm still upset Tomm is gone, but I'll always be looking forward to the next Silent Hill.

Ditto. And let it go on the record that I consider Tomm leaving as big a tragedy as losing Team Silent and Akira Yamaoka. :(

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3227
silenthell88 wrote:

I don't think it's even possible to make a movie without putting effort into them. Making a decently-budgeted movie is a huge ordeal that costs money, has hundreds of crew that spend every day for months filming and then another crew that spends every day for months editing the film. It takes effort.

I think your actual complaint is that they put the effort into the wrong things. Now, I'd agree with you there, but that's entirely subjective and we really don't have the right to force our opinions on others. People liked the movies, let them. That's my philosophy, at least. I'd love to see a Silent Hill movie I enjoyed, but so long as someone enjoys it, then I have no real right to complain. I love many things that a lot of people hated and it annoys me when they go on about how it shouldn't exist or it should stop because they don't like it.

Entertainment should never be limited to one taste.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
I think these directors just have the mindset.."we're making a movie based on a videogame"...and it's all downhill from there...insert cliche's and monsters from the game in a very cheesy way and add characters from the game to show that "look it's in the game and it's in our movie" vibe...and you have the SH movies in a nutshell.

Yes you have to base it off the game, but SH's premise is simple....a small resort town where crazy, wierd and obscure events takes place for unknown reasons. Do not create a movie based on SH2,3 or 4...make a completely new storyline with characters not seen before in the series and be creative with your monsters (it does not need nurses or PH)..start off creating the horror movie first, then add the SH elements.

It can be just as simple as folks traveling thru SH and their car breaks down...fog comes thru and the town starts to expose some or one of the characters dark past or just have the town start them on their bizarre journey...it starts to fall apart when directors try to follow certain storylines from past games and that is where the movies start to look cheesy and feel cheap...

Gravedigger

Missing since: 13 Aug 2006
Notes left: 588
Last seen at: I can't remember.
Oh the whole, "it's being discussed," schtick. Well I guess we can expect a sequel in about six years or so.

Anyway, being the avid fan of the series that I am I always welcome the prospect of another game/movie. Sure the first two weren't great but I still enjoyed them at least. I don't think they need to reboot the series since there's still a lot of stuff/characters left to elaborate on. Besides, a reboot never guarantees improvement.

Personally I feel like a third movie should focus on the Chris/Rose situation and finish the trilogy and wrap the Alyssa arc up. That's just my humble opinion though.