Problems with Silent Hill on PS3

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Re: Problems with Silent Hill on PS3

Post by tbonesays »

BUMP

So what's the easiest way to get to Silent Hill starting from scratch? Should I walk into a game store at the mall and ask to buy a PS1, and maybe they'd have the orginal disc? I presume there's a memory card involved. Or should I jump up to PS3 and buy some sort of modern version that changed only a bit.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

As far as I know, copies of SH one are still ridiculously pricey your side of the pond (like over $100), probably not as easy as walking into your local game store like that - especially if you don't already have a PS1.

Unless you have money and time to burn tracking it down, I'd probably go for the PSN version. The PS3 plays PS1 games anyway if you ever manage to find an original disc!
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

fudgestix wrote:As far as I know, copies of SH one are still ridiculously pricey your side of the pond (like over $100), probably not as easy as walking into your local game store like that - especially if you don't already have a PS1.

Unless you have money and time to burn tracking it down, I'd probably go for the PSN version. The PS3 plays PS1 games anyway if you ever manage to find an original disc!
This PSN [just wiki'd it] version, is it the same game as the original (as far as you're concerned)? And do you need a consistent internet connection to play it?

and you're right about the cost, just checked amazon and WTF? But there's an amazing deal for Origins.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

The game should be identical to the original disc version (it's not a HD update). You'd need internet to download it, but after that I don't think you should need it. It's not like steam where it saves your games online.
Scarlet
Historical Society Historian

Post by Scarlet »

tbonesays wrote:BUMP

So what's the easiest way to get to Silent Hill starting from scratch? Should I walk into a game store at the mall and ask to buy a PS1, and maybe they'd have the orginal disc? I presume there's a memory card involved. Or should I jump up to PS3 and buy some sort of modern version that changed only a bit.
I bought SH1 from the online store. I couldn't risk to have my original game damaged so I had to have a backup (I'm a freak about my SH1). It works like a charm on PS3.
You just need internet connection to download the game and that's it. :)
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Thx, one more. Can the PS2 download games from PSN?

I happen to be outside of a mall Gamestop exactly, now. They seem to have two very different PS3s in their store window. A 12 gb and a 250 gb. Quite a price different as well. Is that something only hardcore gamers should bother with?

------------

Actually one more. Blue haired clerk said they rereleased the games with new voice-overs. So does the downloaded version sound different?
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

tbonesays wrote:Thx, one more. Can the PS2 download games from PSN?

I happen to be outside of a mall Gamestop exactly, now. They seem to have two very different PS3s in their store window. A 12 gb and a 250 gb. Quite a price different as well. Is that something only hardcore gamers should bother with?
I'm not quite sure if you are actually asking if the ps2 can download games from the PSN or that the PSN has PS2 that can be downloaded so in those cases: PSN started from the PS3 (the ps2) never had the capability to do that) but you can download PS2 games from the PSN.

In regards to the 12gb vs 250gb, the only reason to get the 12gb version is if you don't download or play the PS3 a lot. If you are the type of person who downloads games, music, videos etc. it fills up quite fast. Even retail games (disc) require some sort of installments. I say just go with the 250gb

I see your post disappeared (probably because it was double posted) where the clerk told you about the change in voice overs...she probably assumed you were talking about the Silent hill HD collection where they did change the voice overs in SH2 & 3. Nothing is changed from the digital download of SH1
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

No, the PSN is a feature is only on modern Sony consoles, like PS3, Vita, PSP

The 12gb is meant for lighter use, but you wouldn't get many games on there without using external memory. Probably easier to get the 250gb.

And they released a HD collection, but only Silent Hill 2 and 3 were included. Silent Hill 1 has no HD remake, so there is only the original ps1 disc version or the PSN version.
SilentMadness wrote:
I see your post disappeared (probably because it was double posted) where the clerk told you about the change in voice overs...she probably assumed you were talking about the Silent hill HD collection where they did change the voice overs in SH2 & 3. Nothing is changed from the digital download of SH1
It didn't disappear, it's part of their first post now :)
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

fudgestix wrote:As far as I know, copies of SH one are still ridiculously pricey your side of the pond (like over $100), probably not as easy as walking into your local game store like that - especially if you don't already have a PS1.

Nah I got mine for around 35 dollars with case and Manual from ebay.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

peronmls wrote: Nah I got mine for around 35 dollars with case and Manual from ebay.
You can call yourself lucky. ;)
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I'm currently playing it again on my ps vita, and it's really effective on a handled system.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Can anyone play Silent HIll on a laptop?
PaulSilentin
Just Passing Through

Post by PaulSilentin »

tbonesays wrote:Can anyone play Silent HIll on a laptop?
why not? any playstation emulator can work on any kind of PC/laptop on Mac OS, Linux or on Windows, even DOS lol.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

PaulSilentin wrote:
tbonesays wrote:Can anyone play Silent HIll on a laptop?
why not? any playstation emulator can work on any kind of PC/laptop on Mac OS, Linux or on Windows, even DOS lol.
I dunno, my newfangled windows 8 machine cannot play CIV 2 right off the cd.
PaulSilentin
Just Passing Through

Post by PaulSilentin »

tbonesays wrote:CIV 2
What is this? Emulator or Civilization II video game? Anyway PlayStation emulator will work on almost any platform, that can run windows 7/8.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ I think Tbone meant the Civilization 2 game. Which kinda sucks :P

But yeah, emulators are a wonder. I don't know if the forum allows giving out their names, but the best PS1 emulator for Windows (personal experience) is one called ePSXe. Go check it out.
PaulSilentin
Just Passing Through

Post by PaulSilentin »

Mephisto wrote:best PS1 emulator for Windows (personal experience) is one called ePSXe
No, PCSXR is much better. It can use the same plugins as ePSXe, but with widescreen hack! looks amazing on 1080p.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Does anyone have an opinion on buying [used] a classic PS2 versus the slim version?
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Well, a hell of a lot of the older design ps2's had dodgy disc readers in them. It's a relatively easy thing to fix, if you're okay with that kind of thing, and as long as the laser is fine. The slim is far better designed however, and will probably last you a lot longer. Better looking too.
Who's the man? Me!!
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I just recently purchased a slim PS2 after years of problems with my regular one and haven't had a single problem with it yet. If you can find it for a good price, I would go with the slim. The one I bought was $45, but they knocked off about $10 because I didn't need controllers or hook ups.