Which Ending Was Your Favorite? *SPOILERS AHEAD*

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Which Ending Was Your Favorite? *SPOILERS AHEAD*

Post by Oddish »

Yeah. I giot it first time because I didn't really think Anne would be stupid enough to get within hammer range of me, so I tried to get out of the prison instead. By the time I realized there was no escape, she had finally put enough bullets in me to kill me.

I rented the game rather than buying it (and I'm glad, because the combat system was pretty lousy), so the only endings I was able to get were that one and A, which I really consider the only real ending.

However, I have to choose the Surprise ending. It's the kind of thing I would have had in one of my "Rejected Endings" topics. Matter of fact, it's the kind of thing I DID have in one of my "Rejected Endings" topics. Click the link in my siggy and go to Page 2, find the "Party" ending, which I did about four years before SHD came out.

There's enough differences to leave some doubt, but we do know that some of SHD's creators were in this forum; this site's on their "Special Thanks" list. So who knows? Maybe one of them found my topic and said, "Y'know, that's not half-bad."

No, none of it was copyrighted, it was all fair game. No, I'm not asking for money. And no, I'm not accusing anyone of wrongdoing. I just think it's cool that I may (emphasis on MAY) have unwittingly contributed to a game that was internationally released.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The Surprise Ending was the best joke ending in the series, IMO.

Ending B was my favorite out of them all though.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

leftshoe18 wrote:The Surprise Ending was the best joke ending in the series, IMO.

Ending B was my favorite out of them all though.
I agree. I certainly WAS surprised. "Awww, you guys." Now that is one Pyramid Head cameo I enjoy.

Originally I got the good ending. I think it was called Forgiveness? It was rather satisfying.

I liked the Full Circle ending the best though. It's distressing, and is a good visual description of Silent Hill when you don't fully realize what you were supposed to. There are a lot of "stuck in limbo" endings to these games, but this one was real, real, good. And those wondering what happened to DJ Ricks? He got this ending.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

surprise was the best. I was hoping for an UFO ending, and i really wasn't expecting to see pyramid head slicing a cake. with the serious endings, truth and justice (the good + ending where anne kills the guy that i can't remember the name) was the best
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Nightmareish Waltzer
Just Passing Through

Post by Nightmareish Waltzer »

"Truth and Justice" was undoubtedly my favorite ending, primarily because it shifts the focus on Anne and confronting Sewell. I'm just disappointed they left it hanging like they did.
There's a hole in the wall. Naturally, the smart and sane thing to do would be to stick your hand inside it or crawl through it.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I actually really like that it's up to my imagination.

If I want Anne to blow the sumbitch away, that's entirely viable as an ending. If I'm a sucker for tragedy and hope that confrontation ends in a murder-suicide, or Sewell kills Anne in self-defence, I could get my wish. If I want everyone to live and Sewell's crimes brought to light, I can easily imagine that Anne forced him to write a confession and Sewell spent the rest of his life in prison until the day he got shanked in the showers. Leaving the ending open like this allows room for a lot of people to like the ending. More so than if it specifically pointed to one final conclusion.

So, yay ambiguity!
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I also enjoyed this ambiguity. That's what made it one of the better endings to me. I just wish there was somehow the hint of justice being brought on to Sewell in the "happiest" ending (A I think?), where Anne doesn't confront Sewell. Either way, that one is still my favorite, with the sunset/sunrise over the lake.

Up until that ending, the presence of water had been all but placid, so seeing the calm lake water and the light of the sun over it really gave a new meaning to the theme of water. Like, it's become calmed and serene, versus gushing and intrusive, or just plain unsettling, as it's often seen throughout the game, reflecting how Murphy and Anne have found some kind of peace after their crisis.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Truth and Justice is my favorite, even more so if you take into account that Murphy did kill Napier in that ending. Not because I'm one of those fans who feels like "you must be guilty of SOMETHING in order to 'belong' in Silent Hill", but because it feels right for Murphy's state of mind. And also all of the in-game hints seem to point more strongly towards Murphy being the one to kill Napier, not Sewell. For this reason, and a variety of others, I'm fairly positive that Truth and Justice is the "true" ending for Downpour.

That said, I'd have appreciated Forgiveness more if they had some closure with Anne and Sewell, like Truth and Justice did. Even if it was just a short scene in which Anne takes a more lawful approach by having Sewell force a confession to have him convicted or something, I'd have been satisfied with that ending. Anne would have been getting justice while at the same time doing it the way her father would have wanted it. As it was, it left me hanging.

Not to mention I just prefer the interaction between Murphy and Anne at the ending of Truth and Justice. They feel a bit more amiable with each other, ironically enough.

As for ambiguity - I prefer that, too. It's probably why I also like the mystery of what Murphy meant by "There's someplace I gotta be." Which, of course, echoed JP's words before he killed himself.

For some reason, I like Full Circle a lot. I don't even know why. Just the idea of someone being "stuck" in Silent Hill, forced to relive a horrible cycle over and over again hits my sadist bone, especially when you realize Murphy is legitimately supposed to be a GOOD GUY in this ending.

Reversal was pretty good as a concept, which I imagine is kind of like Murphy's Full Circle ending for Anne. Unfortunately it felt a bit short, but... At least we got to see Anne in an inmate jumpsuit and Murphy in a police uniform? Haha.

Surprise! was also really cute, and probably my favorite joke ending of the newer Silent Hill games. I also like to think that it's a legitimate ending where Murphy just lost his mind and is hallucinating the entire party scene, considering everyone's dead eyes and that vacant smile of his at the end.

And lastly Execution... oh Execution... No matter how many times I have played the game while trying to find some kind of loophole that could possibly justify this ending, I can't find it. It's dumb, and the idea of them just turning Murphy into a child killer simply for shock value left a bad taste in my mouth. But hey, at least I can pretty much say that there's no way it's canon.

So yeah, tl;dr Truth and Justice wins out for me. I love it.
DawnBraz
Just Passing Through

Post by DawnBraz »

I like "Truth and Justice" the best. "Forgiveness" is also good, but I thought it ended the game on too much of a happy note, considering how dark the story is.

I got "Reversal" the first time I played. It was a cool mind fuck, but I was a little disappointed that it was the first ending I ever got.

And the "Surprise" ending just makes me happy! :D
Dr. Robotnik
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Rev wrote: For some reason, I like Full Circle a lot. I don't even know why. Just the idea of someone being "stuck" in Silent Hill, forced to relive a horrible cycle over and over again hits my sadist bone, especially when you realize Murphy is legitimately supposed to be a GOOD GUY in this ending.
He is? I mean yeah, except for killing Anne, you get it by choosing the "positive" actions, but considering in that ending he actually goes through with killing Coleridge, the most charitable interpretation I can think of is "vaguely well-meaning coward".

Oddly enough, JP Sater's line if you choose to taunt him ("Nothing easy about being a coward, Murphy. You oughta know that. Enjoy your stay.") seems to hint towards this ending, since otherwise the "coward" descriptor doesn't make much sense. Problem is, this is a "negative" option, which pushes you towards Ending B or D, not A or C.
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

My favorite ending and which ending I thought was best are two different things...and ontop of that I was surprised by how much I liked most of the endings! The only one I think I really disliked was Ending D, but that's not the topic of this thread is it?

My favorite...was probably Full Circle. Part of what I liked about Downpour is how they played with that idea of people being stuck in limbo within Silent Hill for never having faced their sins. (like howard for instance) and this ending sort of followed through with those earlier forshadowings and was the most "horrific" of the endings so to speak. n_n

Surprise is a super close second though, seriously one of my favorite joke endings of the series.
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Ending D seems widely disliked, if for no other reason than that it's a complete and presumably unnecessary alteration of Murphy's character.

I agree that it was an unfortunate error in Ending B that they didn't have Murphy kill King Scumbag in that one. I'm surprised that such a royal screwup got through the game's quality control, especially since it's associated with Murphy being a brutal killer (smashing up monsters and such). So maybe, to summarize:

Forgiveness: Makes sense.
Truth/Justice: In its intended form makes some sense. Murphy is a worse man in this one, and while Anne doesn't capture him, she doesn't help him either. So it's intermediate between Forgiveness and the worse endings. Question is, do we want to give it credit for how it should have been, or hold it accountable to how it was?
Full Circle: Makes sense, in a creepy-horrible way. Murphy is salvageable, but he still has a lot to deal with, and therefore cannot escape.
Execution: Makes no sense at all.
Reversal: Hard to figure out this one. Confusing, mind-bending, turns the whole game on its ear. In other words, a twist worthy of Silent Hill.
Surprise: Joke ending, and they have their own rules.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

Oddish wrote:QUOTE: How is B a more-violent Murphy? He doesn't kill Anne, nor anyone else, that I can remember.

I've heard two sources about how a player secures Ending B. One stated that it was the result of good moral choices (trying to save Anne, consoling the tour guide) but killing an excessive number of monsters (like in "Origins"). The other stated that uit was the result of evil moral choices, but not killing Anne at the end.
I got B, and did kill several monsters, but I also didn't console the tour guide. so not sure how that worked out.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger