Real final? and in water question (SPOILER ALERT)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Truegosu
Just Passing Through

Real final? and in water question (SPOILER ALERT)

Post by Truegosu »

I want to know, which one is the real ending of silent hill 2?? and in the "in water" ending... did he really drive his car into the lake? or he just ran away with his dead wife???!! Because i never heard the sound of the car crashing into the water.

Thanks.
>Silent hill<
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It's the rebirth ending! LOL, I wish. :lol: I think it goes by "in water".
(And the reason for the absence of sound and otherwise affects is thanks to the strict ratings board) :roll:
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>It's the rebirth ending! LOL
What's so funny?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

St. Thomas wrote:>It's the rebirth ending! LOL
What's so funny?
to me if the game's go by that ending it'd seem obscure.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

See, I find that funny: You do realize how obfuscated the truth in these games normally are, right?...
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SilentGil
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentGil »

If they don't make a sequel that clears this question out, I think that you have to choose which of those you think is more reliable.

For me is "In Water".
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9457/silentgilfirma022tr.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Well, here's why many feel otherwise--that the In Water ending is an impossibility.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

There are other places he could drive into the lake. James, in the Maria/Leave endings, seems to make it back to his car easily. Once the truth has been revealed and his mind is made up on how to deal with it, I imagine the roadblocks and chasms would disappear. James could then drive into town and drive into the lake directly from there. We know the chasms come and go, because later in SH3 Heather heads to Lakeside via Nathan avenue, which is cut off in SH2. The town shapes itself and changes its structure to suit the situation.

All of the endings exist because they're a possibility. They wouldn't exist if they were impossible. Which ones are ruled out are to be revealed potentially in future games like SH3 did with SH1.

Besides, isn't it a little silly to debate possibility in a game that takes place in an alternate reality, with monsters? I mean, James got through the Historical Society into the Prison and to the dock through a location that doesn't even exist (the Labyrinth).

I've written extensively on this subject before the crash. Thematically, In Water makes the most sense to me. That, coupled with the fact that James never returns from Silent Hill, seems to imply his death.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>There are other places he could drive into the lake.
Not from there, there isn't. He gets in the car, turns it on, floors it. He doesn't get in the car, turn it on, drive around for awhile, parks, kills the ignition, steps out of the car, gets back in the car, turns it on, and then finally floors it.

>the fact that James never returns from Silent Hill, seems to imply his death.
Or that he never left.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

The amount of time that it takes him to drive into the lake is probably just to get the point of the ending across faster. Who would want to sit there for five minutes listening to the car before he hits the lake?

The end of Silent Hill 2 is, ultimately, up for us to decide. Even if James left with Laura or Maria, he may have disappeared forever as well. We can analyze it to death if we want, but the truth will never be definite unless Konami comes right out and says so.
Lives in the mirror"
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I always think the "True ending" is what you got in the first game play.
Your life happens only once.
That's how I approach any "story game".
I can't complain any endings I get (unless it's a death by a minor fight).
Of cource it's not that I preach it to everyone, but this law fit quite good in this game for myself.
Jedah
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jedah »

SilentGil wrote: For me is "In Water".
Same as me. Then again we better keep quiet since we don't want to ruined certain someone 15 mins of fame do we? Then again as I said it once I'll say it again SH2 Ending "Is what you want to make it to be". Don't believe these so called expert "I know it all, this is the truth, because I say so" type, since like I said before , SH2 as multiple endings for a reason, its up to you, the player to decide which one is real, until a future SH installment proves otherwise.
[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/jedahpr/banner7v2.jpg[/img]
"The Monster inside of me as grown this big"
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I love when people are bitter because they lack the capacity to win an intellectual dick-measuring contest. It's cute. And pathetic. Patheticute.

In-Water is a shit ending, full of holes and lacking any kind of redemptive value. The over-glorified GAME OVER ending. Makes no sense no matter how it's examined.

--------

James: Well, I want to drive my car into the lake and die a painful, suffocating death. Unfortunately, I can't do it here where I parked, because there's a wall and fifty feet of trees between me and the lake. Guess I'll have to find another point.

*five minutes later*

James: Doo dee doo... nope, this point simply won't do, won't be airborne long enough.

*five minutes later*

James: Crap, this won't work either. Too many trees.

*ten minutes later*

James: Nope. I'll hit mud and I won't submerge.

*fifteen minutes later*

James: Ahh, the perfect place from which to leap to my drowning death! The emo kids shall be satisfied! Vroom! NEEERRR KER-SPLASH! I'm comin', Mary! This is the big one!

-----------

Ridiculous. It's a joke ending without any humor.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

it'd seem obscure.
As opposed to a man getting a letter from his dead wife, being attacked by all kinds of monsters and staked by an executioner from civil war times...?

Yes, James' father says he and his wife vanished, but cunningly, that can be applied to ALL the endings, not just In Water. Every action James takes is that of a man who doesn't give up. Going to Silent Hill in the first place was a leap of faith. I personally find it hard to believe he'd take that leap, go through hell, find absolution, and go top himself.

In a game where logic is redundant, it’s pretty hard to discredit the Rebirth Ending.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Then again we better keep quiet since we don't want to ruined certain someone 15 mins of fame do we?
These fifteen minutes have been going on for years, it seems. It's a shame Ryan's right: I love when people are bitter because they lack the capacity to win an intellectual dick-measuring contest. It's cute. And pathetic. Patheticute.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Faded.Memories
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded.Memories »

I read St. Thomas' thory on "Rebirth". And I read all the comments on "In the Water" [and BOY do I have a fucking headache now!].

Before, I always thought that "In the Water" was the true ending because:

a) Frank said that James 'disappeared' with his wife in Silent Hill.
b) If James left Silent Hill with Laura, he would more than likely have contacted Frank in some way. Plus, adopting an orphan= loads of paperwork.
c) Maria isn't real. And Silent Hill + James' guilt mind was the reason for her 'existence'.
d) I didn't know there WAS a rebirth ending until a few weeks ago.

But after reading St. Thomas' theory, it seems to be the mose plausible and logical. James regretted killing Mary so much, he made himself forget it, and went through the hell of Silent Hill to get her back. And given all the unusual and 'impossible' things in Silent Hill, who is to say that resurrection is impossible?
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/sephorasagredo/faded.gif[/img]

[i] ...are my screams just a whisper? [/i]
Droo

Post by Droo »

I must point out, however, that Silent Hill 2 is the one SH game that doesn't seem to focus obsessively on the supernatural. Yes, it certainly is supernatural, but in the end it is a very human story. I feel that hauling in The Order and their rituals undermines what SH2 is really about. For that reason, Rebirth is the one ending that I truly rule out in my analyses.
Lives in the mirror"
Truegosu
Just Passing Through

Post by Truegosu »

thats not the point... the thing is that i never heard the car crushing into the water... he could just ran away with the dead body of Mary ...

and by the way
But after reading St. Thomas' theory, it seems to be the mose plausible and logical. James regretted killing Mary so much, he made himself forget it, and went through the hell of Silent Hill to get her back. And given all the unusual and 'impossible' things in Silent Hill, who is to say that resurrection is impossible?

I think he came back to sillent hill because he knows that he killed his wife and he recive a letter of her telling him that she was "waiting for him in silent hill" .... dead wife writing you after you killed her.... i should go there and check it out an finish the job if I have to.
>Silent hill<
valentinecliche
Just Passing Through

Post by valentinecliche »

i think the rebirth.
james seems selfish that way.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

The Rebirth ceremony may not be a ritual of The Order. It is never said to be.

I for one, even though I don't necessarily view Rebirth as the true ending, think it is quite plausible, given the settings. It's not about The Order, it's about the town, and the very strange things that are possible. Which, I might add, predates the Order. The natives held ceremonies of the sort in the area before all the honkies came by.

Plus, you know, there was that little Maria sidequest, in which the factors that make up the Rebirth ending take center stage, so that does have to count for something.