Jim Sterling praises Revelation as an unintentional comedy

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Jim Sterling praises Revelation as an unintentional come

Post by Drainage64 »

I'm usually the type who finds "so bad it's good" stuff fantastic. I mean I bought the trainwreck that was Duke Nukem Forever based on that fact alone (and regretted it), I also have the infamous Sonic 06 coming in the mail as we speak.

That being said, Revelations was one of the few bad movies that managed to actually frustrate me. Even if you remove all the problems it has from claiming to be about "Silent Hill" and even if you ignore all the dumb retcons of the first movie's plot line..It's just a bad horror movie, not in the fun Evil Dead or Plan 9 from Outerspace way, but just plain awful.

I will say though, the part where
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Heather hugs Alessa to death
did kind of make me laugh my ass off. I completely forgot about it while watching the film a second time, so it really caught me off gaurd and made me crack up..Still though, I can't say I really enjoyed much of the rest of the movie at all..
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

Yeah, It was kinda of embarrassing. I mean, I don't think I can understand how a movie with great people like Carrie-Anne Moss, Malcolm McDowell, Sean Bean and Kit Harrington could be so awful (Can't say much about Adelaide Clemens, since I'm not really familiar with her).
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

How do you misuse Malcolm McDowell?

Seriously, the man has been playing Mick Travis (or Alex DeLarge, if you will) for almost fifty years. That's literally all he does. Everyone else gets it, so why can't this movie?
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

It's so bad that I sometimes choose to forget it even exists. It's definitely not SBIG.. It really just made me appreciate the first film even more.

I had high hopes for it, but boy were they crushed after viewing. There are some hilarious scenes merely due to the fact that they're so bad, and dumb. Hollywood is all about quick reboots nowadays, so I hope SH gets the reboot treatment as well (along with Avatar the Last Airbender).
J. Quinzelle
Just Passing Through

Post by J. Quinzelle »

Ryantology wrote:I got high and watched it in 3D, so that was something.
The only way to enjoy this gameplay-less video game. It's Point A to B to C with no side quest or trophies. Super Mario Bros. The Movie had a more diverse plot.
"Dance
Dance like butterflies
Shadows appear right before my eyes
Sounds echo the absurd
Hard to explain something that I heard"

http://www.shyofinterruption.com
PSN: Interrupted
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

JayQuinzel wrote:
Ryantology wrote:I got high and watched it in 3D, so that was something.
The only way to enjoy this gameplay-less video game. It's Point A to B to C with no side quest or trophies. Super Mario Bros. The Movie had a more diverse plot.
SMB: the Movie was 100 times better than Revelation. So many people say Mario Bros. was bad, but honestly, looking at it as an 80's product of cinema, I think it was pretty damn ambitious. I mean honestly, look at what they had to work with at the time.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

The movie is terrible, but you don't need an idiot like Jim "I don't know how to use a mini-map" Sterling to tell you that.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

I don't like how it gives people who don't play the game the wrong idea about SH fans, (were not thick!!!! We do have good taste....honestly!!) so I always have to state that I do NOT like the movies, esp #2.

You just don't get how awful it is if you don't play the games.

Someone was flabbergasted when I told them I like Resident Evil games but not the movies as they are an abomination (still not as bad as SHR though).

He just looked at me disbelieving and said "Sooooo you play the games but you don't watch the movies" in a very condescending tone,(he watches the movies but doesn't play the games) I just said to him "you don't get it mate"

This is what I hate the most about it.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

SHR makes it's basic cable debut this weekend on the SighFy network. Maybe people will have a good laugh.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
no hands up if you're watching it anyway.
I, Rabbit
Just Passing Through

Post by I, Rabbit »

Its Gone Now wrote:I don't like how it gives people who don't play the game the wrong idea about SH fans, (were not thick!!!! We do have good taste....honestly!!) so I always have to state that I do NOT like the movies, esp #2.

You just don't get how awful it is if you don't play the games.

Someone was flabbergasted when I told them I like Resident Evil games but not the movies as they are an abomination (still not as bad as SHR though).

He just looked at me disbelieving and said "Sooooo you play the games but you don't watch the movies" in a very condescending tone,(he watches the movies but doesn't play the games) I just said to him "you don't get it mate"

This is what I hate the most about it.
Often I have to reiterate when I say I like silent hill, I don't mean the movies. Which then of course, people are more inclined too talk about, because everybody and their mother went to the cinema to see it and didn't you like the part where the triangle man fought the woman?!!?!!!?!!1
I want to see how far I can go before I'm forced to stop.
Renacimiento
Just Passing Through

Post by Renacimiento »

I never saw this second film. At first I was very excited to see it but in the end I decided not to, I have heard and read so many terrible things about the movie that I refuse to see it. Do not want to see one of my favorite games to be shattered by the movie.

A couple of years ago, I think in 2011, I began to participate in the official website that MIchael Basset had (the director) at that time he had been confirmed as director and just started work on the project. His official website had for such reason a great participation of Silent Hill fans, among whom I was.

Anyway, I was there for some time trying to follow all the progress that was made and occasionally Michael Basset spoke with us and answered all comments and questions, etc. And I remember that he always remarked that he had played the game, that he knew the game well, that he would respect what Silent Hill means, etc, etc. Anyway, a lot of promises that only were aimed to calm the fans, the story was totally different once the film was released and criticisms were swift in his own page, I think this was the reason which he decided to close his personal page.

I still wonder if I should see the movie, but there is always something or someone who tells me not to.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Renacimiento wrote:I never saw this second film. At first I was very excited to see it but in the end I decided not to, I have heard and read so many terrible things about the movie that I refuse to see it. Do not want to see one of my favorite games to be shattered by the movie.

A couple of years ago, I think in 2011, I began to participate in the official website that MIchael Basset had (the director) at that time he had been confirmed as director and just started work on the project. His official website had for such reason a great participation of Silent Hill fans, among whom I was.

Anyway, I was there for some time trying to follow all the progress that was made and occasionally Michael Basset spoke with us and answered all comments and questions, etc. And I remember that he always remarked that he had played the game, that he knew the game well, that he would respect what Silent Hill means, etc, etc. Anyway, a lot of promises that only were aimed to calm the fans, the story was totally different once the film was released and criticisms were swift in his own page, I think this was the reason which he decided to close his personal page.

I still wonder if I should see the movie, but there is always something or someone who tells me not to.
Here are reasons to watch.

- Train wrecks are compelling in their own way.

- For example Kenji asked, "How do you misuse Malcolm McDowell?" I ask and how do you misuse the other five B+/A- actors?

- The usual horror movie is so bad that the a bad Silent Hill flic is still above average.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

tbonesays wrote:Here are reasons to watch.

- Train wrecks are compelling in their own way.
Funny, could have left it there :)
Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Loonwolf »

Amazing. Some fool watches a masterpiece, doesn't appreciate its greatness. Doesn't even see at all.
Then the supposed fans watch the masterpiece. Same result.
Sigh!
"In the end it's only round and round, and round."

LOOnwOlf
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

The Movie doesn't even follow the mythology and lore of the Town properly.

If it were a masterpiece I would be compelled to watch it again, I am not, likely never will.

I've literally never heard it called a masterpiece before as it was a massive let down.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

It somehow gets worse every time I glance at it.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Jim Sterling praises Revelation as an unintentional comedy

Post by The Adversary »

I almost watched this last night when it showed up as I was scrolling through HBOMax or Hulu or whichever. I've seen it twice (once in the theater upon release and another sometime afterward). The second time, I'd honestly completely spaced on the whole Valtiel thing at the end, and I honestly still don't remember anything that happens after the stupid clown scene in the mall.

I also still couldn't pull the trigger to watch it a third time. The only thing I really recall about it is that it was fucking terrible in every capacity. Maybe I'll try again, I just . . . I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it. Like was said earlier: It's embarrassing as a Silent Hill fan. And I love shitty movies.

I cannot stress that enough. I. Love. Them. Things like Maximum Overdrive, A Talking Cat!?!?, R.O.T.O.R.—I will watch just about any Rifftrax or Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode.

This, though. . . . This is practically unwatchable.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

It is legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen, video game-based or otherwise. It's just spectacularly awful without any redeeming qualities at all, be them comical or otherwise.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Vixx wrote: 21 Jan 2023 It is legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen, video game-based or otherwise. It's just spectacularly awful without any redeeming qualities at all, be them comical or otherwise.
Not even the Pop-Tart jump scare?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Droo wrote: 22 Jan 2023
Vixx wrote: 21 Jan 2023 It is legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen, video game-based or otherwise. It's just spectacularly awful without any redeeming qualities at all, be them comical or otherwise.
Not even the Pop-Tart jump scare?
Mirror on the wall and asylum nurses were cool moments that made it worse IMO. Without them we would simply say Basset is incompetent. But instead we know he is capable but he just mucked up SHR.