I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, too!)

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Did You Enjoy It?

Yes
23%
It Had It's Good and Bad Points
35%
No
42%

Total votes: 144

SenorKaffee
Just Passing Through

Re: I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, t

Post by SenorKaffee »

I rewatched the movie together with friends last night on BluRay and good god - that must be one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. This doesn't even have to do with being a SIlent Hill fan, it is just a badly written movie.

The characters are always explaining, always talking about what is going on as if the Paradox machine that is supposed to hold the Game universe and the Movie universe together would blow up the minute they start talking like real people would do. I can't believe the amount of exposition in Revelations.

The plot breaks apart as soon as you start to think about it. Don't you guys have sports classes in the US? Vincent would have a lot of fun explaining his horrendous cult scars.

If your production is low on money, don't waste your budget on spider puppet monster segments that add nothing to the story except of tits. Don't add meaningless fanservice like red shoes in the background or open connections to three (!) other Silent Hill storylines. Kill Sean Bean. He must die in everything he is in.

Best part: Giving Adelaide Clemens pigtails to make her look younger. This must be some kind of Hollywood in-joke. Or is the Silent Hill Bronx with burning trash cans the best part? I can't decide...
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

You know, I was one of the first reviews in this thread, and I cannot believe I gave this a 6. I guess my wanting of so much from it as an SH fan blinded me a bit, but honestly, it's probably a 4 now. It has one or two things I like, specifically I do enjoy the mannequin monster even though it is not only pointless, but stupid if all it does is trap victims and take their heads, since Silent Hill through the games has usually been about people learning something or paying for their sins.
There's a few other things I like, the sets look nice, but you never get to take them in because the studio only paid for a 90 minute film and they had to get everything moving as fast as possible. I'm glad they still spent a decent amount of time using make-up and practical effects on the monsters.
Everything else is just awful. The acting has its highs and lows, the plot in nonsensical, and instead of just going with another cult, an other side of the coin so to speak, they tried to shoehorn the plot of SH3 into the Christian cult of the first film. And then they try to throw in little easter eggs like Travis and the prison bus for fans, but completely butchered the actual lore we wanted justice done to. I never thought I'd do it with anything SH, even the worst of the games, but this is one of those "sit around and drink and make fun of how bad it was" movies.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger
adm1r
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by adm1r »

I watched this movie when it came to cinemas aand when i came home i logged in on imdb and gave it a 1.i was amazed how they ended up to make something so dark and disturbing to look so cheezy.ok, the effects are good but the story was blaaah.recently i'm having a desire to watch it again to see if my opinion will change since everything deserves second chance.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Looking back, I still like it. I mean I have my problems with it these days and can see why people got mad, but it was still pretty fun and delivered on a lot of stuff the first movie failed to. Problem is it was so cheesy, and the exposition and retconning was on level with the worst of comic books.

I still liked stuff about it though. The spider creature was epic, Pyramid Head battling at the end was wicked fun - I like that if we're going to have to keep putting him in stuff, that they have fun with him and do stuff that's different - and I love the carousel scene. It's just a bit... It feels cheap and cheesy, very B-horror. I don't mind that since it's based on Silent Hill 3, which I believe to be one of the more cheesy of the series anyways, but the brand has become a lot more than this.

For Michael J. Bassett, I'm genuinely surprised by how cheesy it was, he's normally awesome.

I do hope it does become a franchise someday, and they can go all out with it like they did with the game series, try new stories etc., and this one can sit in the boxset as the "Freddy's Revenge" one. Honestly, I hope Konami make the most of their teamup with Del Toro and get him to do a movie. That would be something special.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

The only thing I can remember about this movie now,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
is a part at the burger place where a butcher is cutting a piece of meat of a living person on a meet hook who has his head in a plastic bag. The Butcher grinning as he cut.
Sick as this might be on it's own, it felt so out of tone that I laughed out loud.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

The only thing I remember is trying to decide if SHR or Mortal Kombat Annihilation was worse. I think that honor goes to SHR because they had 6 years whereas MKA was obviously a very rushed money grab.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

I saw the movie yesterday for the first time (on television). Can't even remember the last time I went to a movie theather... Anyway, I'll be quick. Let's start with the good:

The environments, the atmosphere and the outfits were pretty well done. They were pretty much the same as the game.

Now the bad: This movie, like the first one, isn't scary at all. It's not horror, it's more like dark fantasy than anything else. Second: the monster designs were pretty generic (apart from the mannequin spider which was AWESOME)! Third: the relationship with Vincent and Heather? WTF! :lol:

Not to mention the fact that Claudia was Vincent's mother.... And no Valtiel! C'mon!

But regardless, it was a good movie. I'd give it a 7-7.5.

One thing that bothers me though: Why Pyramid fought against Missionary Claudia at the end? it felt like he was trying to prevent the birth of God and help the others escape...
Ronan Mae
Just Passing Through

Post by Ronan Mae »

:D Glad to know I'm not the only one who found the movie awful! I was an instant fan of the first one so when I learned there's going to be a sequel I was very very excited. I felt like a deflated balloon when I watched it. I loved the look of the nurses though, definitely cosplay resource material.

I'm not too familiar with the game beyond SH1, but is Pyramid really supposed to turn into a protector...? He was one of the thrills of the first movie: immensely terrifying and seemingly unbeatable! I was almost disappointed that he turned out to be Heather's protector :p he kind of lost his edge.
Ronan Mae
Just Passing Through

Post by Ronan Mae »

Redklok wrote:The only thing I can remember about this movie now,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
is a part at the burger place where a butcher is cutting a piece of meat of a living person on a meet hook who has his head in a plastic bag. The Butcher grinning as he cut.
Sick as this might be on it's own, it felt so out of tone that I laughed out loud.
A lot of scenes in the movie do feel like random, separate segments. They're awesome as is, but if you talk about contributing to the story, they were just... **shrugs**
Postcode
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Postcode »

Ronan Mae wrote:I'm not too familiar with the game beyond SH1, but is Pyramid really supposed to turn into a protector...?
No, but then the games and films are completely separate. Pyramid Head didn't feature in the Alessa storyline in the games at all ( a lot of people were angry that he featured in the movie because he is "exclusive to James", despite the fact that there is no James in the movie universe). He protected Heather in Revelations because he 'served' Alessa and Heather is Alessa, at least that was my understanding of it.
For anyone that might be interested in such things, some links to my music, of the alternative rock kind -
http://postcode.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/zebracore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Theory: Pyramid head wasn't a necessary part of 1SH, the first film because he is not in the final scene.

He could have been necessary if they made a logical symbol of Colin-rape-PH-revenge but on screen Colin becomes a crawling man who does nothing.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

I liked Travis and Murphy's convoy at the end of the movie, too. Forgot to add.
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

tbonesays wrote:Theory: Pyramid head wasn't a necessary part of 1SH, the first film because he is not in the final scene.

He could have been necessary if they made a logical symbol of Colin-rape-PH-revenge but on screen Colin becomes a crawling man who does nothing.
The Colin mosnter we see is there because he's being punished. Red Pyramid represents rape (and Alessa's father, according to Gans).
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Maybe the ONLY way that SHR was better than 1SH was that PH actually was integral to the plot.
Pastucci
Just Passing Through

Post by Pastucci »

I'm gonna be Miss Pessimistic here :

I personally own this movie, and I felt like it was rushed. I mean, reaaally rushed.
For example, they didn't bother modeling the Lakeside Amusement Park, or Brookhaven after the real Silent Hill locations (in the game, not in reality haha).
The Amusement Park literally seemed like a ghetto Halloween mish mash, while Brookhaven looked really nothing like how it does in-game.
Plus, if you notice the signs for these places, they are made of the same material, it's not even unique.
I felt that the storyline went too far away from the original idea in the game, and Claudia and Leonard Wolf seemed too Halloweenish and weird...it took away from the vibe.

Don't get me started about the whole Red Pyramid Thing/nurse get up.. I mean, they were fine for the first Silent Hill movie, but come on.

While the "duality of good and evil" metaphor between both Heather and Alessa ( or more to the fact, the two sides of Alessa) was kinda spot on in accordance to Silent Hill 3, I just didn't enjoy it, I always felt like Alessa's split was simply her departing a part of her spirit, not a personality schism....

I did however, like the actors that played heather and Vincent, and of course Harry. I felt they were authentic enough, and I really enjoyed the first half of the movie, the settings being the School and the Mall, and Jack's Inn when they enter Silent Hill.

I also like how they modernized the film ( for example when Vincent says to Heather " So, do you Facebook?" which she says "fuck Facebook", implying that the film takes place at least around 2006)..I felt like that part of the movie was well done, oddly enough.

That's my honest review
Heaven's Night
<3