Pros! What the teaser has done right! ಥ⌣ಥ

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Pros! What the teaser has done right! ಥ⌣ಥ

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

It makes Silent Hill relevant to the general audience again.

It has an incredible atmosphere.

Dream team which means a real AAA game.

Stunning graphics.

The story seems really promising.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Reverend wrote:

The Silent Hills demo takes the series in a direction I've always thought it should go next. Yes, I do want a first person Silent Hill. And I believe the game will be.like the teaser. Why develop such a groundbreaking first person experience and show it to the world if you're going to go back to the old tank controls? The graphics are finally good enough that you can sell this kind of immersive experience.
Preaching to the choir.. I also hoped that the final game would be done in first person, but I think there's already been a confirmation that it'll be third person.

The things I really liked were playing in first person, and how it reminded me of playing "nowhere" from SH, and the "labyrinth" area of SH2.

Anyway, I liked pretty much everything about P.T.. After having played it, I can see how the game can be improved upon graphically (in response to Kojima's claim that the graphics were toned down). There's a little more that can be done in regard to the textures/aliasing, but I think it's still pretty sweet looking.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Leo Ho Tep wrote:It makes Silent Hill relevant to the general audience again.

Stunning graphics.

My post of the day; well said.
RIP Silent Hills
Reverend
Just Passing Through

Post by Reverend »

Matt S wrote:

Stunning graphics.

My post of the day; well said.

Agreed, that's one of the best things about this. People are talking about Silent Hill again, and it's scaring the hell out of people. Reminds me of hearing urban legends about people going insane playing silent hill 2. This game is serious and not messing around, and it shows with the return to photorealistic graphics, which brings a wow factor of its own, like the PS2 era when the games were pushing the console to its limits. The series is coming out of its silly phase and is back on track.
Catch23
Just Passing Through

Post by Catch23 »

Agree 100 percent with the last handful of posters. PTs biggest achievement is bringing Silent Hill back into the spotlight. I remember Downour gameplay videos would have like 8000 views at their peak, and a ton of dislikes. Now we're seeing PT videos with 500,000 views, and mostly likes. Big name Let's Players like the gamegrumps are even on board.

I know Youtube popularity isn't everything, but it is indicative of general public opinion, especially in the video game realm. It's very, very exciting!
The jabronie formerly known as "Catch22".
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

The atmosphere.
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Stunning graphics.

I thought the final product won´t be anything like PT demo ? It just looked a steam game for publicity stunt, the final product probably will be way different.
Reverend
Just Passing Through

Post by Reverend »

I wouldn't count on that. You are Norman Reedus in this game, which is very much like a silent hill game, and it flows right into the streets of Silent Hill for the "teaser" ending. There is no breaking point between PT and Silent Hills. It says "this game is a teaser. It has no direct relation to the main title" . You could almost say the same thing about Metal Gear Ground Zeroes. Teasers are made to give you a taste of what's to come. Why tease a game you're not going to work on. The ending is not the teaser, the whole game is. Hence "playable teaser"
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Hmm can be. Makes you wonder if there´s gonna be combat or if it´s gonna be like shattered memories :)
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Reverend wrote:I wouldn't count on that. You are Norman Reedus in this game, which is very much like a silent hill game, and it flows right into the streets of Silent Hill for the "teaser" ending. There is no breaking point between PT and Silent Hills. It says "this game is a teaser. It has no direct relation to the main title" . You could almost say the same thing about Metal Gear Ground Zeroes. Teasers are made to give you a taste of what's to come. Why tease a game you're not going to work on. The ending is not the teaser, the whole game is. Hence "playable teaser"
Pretty sure Kojima has at least said that the gameplay and visuals of the teaser are not what the final product will be like. As for the other bits, the story, the atmosphere, the location, etc... that's all up in the air. It's up to you how to interpret the "no relation" disclaimer. Personally, given that we know the gameplay and visuals are unrelated to the final product and the whole point of this playable teaser emulating an indie horror title was to mislead people away from it being SH, I'm assuming the story and atmosphere are also unrelated to the real game until otherwise proven wrong.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

I read an article where Kojima said Silent Hills would employ 3rd person and 1st person views.

I hope there is some combat (melee and firearms with limited ammo (ie. gun, shotgun)). It worked for the early Silent Hill games. I wasn't crazy about the encounters with enemies in Shattered Memories. The monsters chasing you around got repetitive. IMO, there should be more to it than just running and hiding. I think combat in the right moments can be tense and scary. Just have limited supplies.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

No *direct* relation.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Alexius Corvinus wrote:I read an article where Kojima said Silent Hills would employ 3rd person and 1st person views.
They haven't decided how it's going to work yet. He's so far suggested it might allow you to switch between them yourself or they might use both. Nothing is set in stone yet as the game clearly hasn't entered active development yet. Anything could happen.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Okay.

Anyway.

Pros:

The atmosphere

It seems to have a few unsettling scares that leave you thinking, "Is it going to happen?" and in some cases, the scare does or doesn't manifest. Haven't really seen much of this kind of scare since the earlier Silent Hill games.

Music and sound. Reminded me of SH 1-4 and Akira Yamaoka.

The increasingly disturbing and terrifying loops.

The design of the baby.

The story.

The jump scares weren't at the worst places, even if the ghost lady was a bit generic.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

One of my favorite things about P.T. is how there wasn't a "transformation effect" to go along with the decay/change of the hallway. It would just suddenly be different. More effective than the elaborate Otherworld shifts from the movies and recent games, and I hope they stick with that for the full release.

I loved how looking at things could alter them. The door shutting, the transfer of "HELLO" to "HELL" and stuff like that. This is a mechanic that hasn't been really explored apart from the "sanity meter" nonsense in Amnesia. It would be interesting to have it so that monsters would behave differently depending on whether you were looking at them for long enough, or certain events would only happen if they were outside of your field of view. It would only really work in first person, of course.

The scale of the demo was perfect: constrained to just a few rooms, plenty of darkness, not a lot going on other than the subtle shifts that happen with each loop. It actually reminded me a little bit of Nowhere from the first game, or the part of the Hotel in SH2 where one door brought you back to the beginning of the hallway. Only instead of the screen going black and loading the new area, it's seamless.

It makes me hopeful that all the rooms and buildings will stream in real-time in Silent Hills. In SH4, they tried to remove the security blanket of loading a new area to escape a monster by introducing enemies that could pass through walls. It worked to a certain extent, but actually hearing them roaming around in the hallway and banging at the doors, or trying to get in from outside through the windows, would be really neat.
Reverend
Just Passing Through

Post by Reverend »

Those SH4 ghosts were frustrating as all hell, but damn they were horrifying.
(Edit: actually that sums up the first four games pretty well)

That's a good thought. Imagine how scary sh2 would be if I'm the blue creek apartment rooms, you would still hear the things walking in the hallway through the door.... Eeek
stitchedlamb
Just Passing Through

Post by stitchedlamb »

I absolutely loved some of the sound effects. One reviewer referred to them as "nauseating", there's nothing better than horror that can build tension through sound. They tended to repeat too much, thus losing some effectiveness, but it still gives me hope. It's been a long time since a Silent Hill game unsettled me via my ears :D
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

Is it ok to post a follow-up impressions? I only just got the chance to play it for myself a couple of days ago.

First off, seeing the graphics in person, holy shit. My first thought was "this is definetly a ps4 game". The lighting was steller. Atmosphere was top-notch. I was very impressed!

..I was also scared to death, my boyfriend ended up taking over for me for the later half of the game. I was shaking! Usually jump-scares aren't that effective on me. I think the way they handled-that was in the right direction.

The puzzles were also very cool and inventive! Until...near end, those were sort of frustrating but I understand the reason for that too so it's ok (Wanting it to be super obscure on purpose so lots of people had to work together to figure it out, that sort of thing)

We figured out most of it together except for the eye-puzzle and the phone puzzle, we both really enjoyed it. I was personally really impressed by the sound-design too. Playing it really made me feel at peace with the idea of the next game having some first-person sections. Maybe outside 3rd inside first? Iuno, as long as there were scares and danger in both and not another "safe real world, dangerous ice world" scenerio!
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
demon child 7
Just Passing Through

Post by demon child 7 »

So where to start? I think that the things I liked the most were the scares there were some definite moments where I was actually startled and scared by what happened. The ghost was frightening to see, when I saw her come on screen for the first time I felt genuine dread and fear. The sounds were really creepy and added to the atmosphere. When she got hold of me, well I really did freak out.

The graphics looked really nice I thought there was room for improvement there but it looked really solid. Some of the puzzle pieces were cool and some of the reveals and changes were really interesting.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
There was the note about something calling from hell. Then there was the hanging refrigerator these things really caught my attention.
So I would recommend this to people to play. I am super excited to know that there is another SH in the works.
Coercion
Just Passing Through

Post by Coercion »

-Finally, the atmosphere has returned.

-Legitimately building tension and occasionally misinforming the player as to when to expect the climax of that tension as the demo progressed.

-"Outside the box" puzzle solving.

-Great use of sound.
[color=green]We fall from womb to tomb, from one blackness and into another, knowing little of one and nothing of the other.[/color]