Silent Hill 2 too easy?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Silent Hill 2 too easy?

Post by clips »

BlackRose wrote:I guess it was "easy", especially compared to homecoming (which i hated) but then again SH2 wasn't really about combat. Some of the puzzles on a harder setting were tricky.

I've never played it on "hard" but that's because i didn't really play it for the combat side of things. SH2 was all about the atmosphere, puzzles and story, for me.

Same here...i always play on normal difficulty...playing on the hard and extreme modes end up being more of a journey of frustration than enjoyment. I'd say the game is fairly easy tho, when set on normal difficulties...
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Though I generally play on Normal for the atmospere and such, I've beaten the first three Silent Hills at least once on Hard, because it feels nice and somehow complete having done so. I've also beaten SH3 on Exteme but I'm not sure how much higher I can go lol.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Yeah. SH2 is the only one I have completed on Hard. And the only difficult part is up through the first Pyramid Head battle. After that, it's almost the same as normal. But the apartments are harder than normal before you get the gun.

I have to play SH3 on Hard one of these days. I want to play it through once on an easier level and then I'll switch after that.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

I think if you're playing silent hill for the combat then you're playing the wrong type of game. In my opinion the combat isn't really relevant, maybe with Homecoming because to me that was more a combat focused game and the story sort of took a back seat which i found really disappointing.

The controls in silent hill 2 were pretty clunky and awkward at times but that didn't take the enjoyment away from me. Silent hill 2 was by far my favourite game in the series and a one off.

Homecoming was a real let down for me because i had high hopes for it. Then when i started playing it i found some of the combat to be frustratingly hard and having to restart everytime i failed was not fun. The story didn't seem very original and i could see the ending a mile off. The story felt rushed and seemed more about the graphics and combat then atmosphere.

Once i'd played it it didn't stay with me and i found the characters really annoying and stereotypical. I don't think they'll ever make a silent hill game with the same atmosphere and creepiness as SH2.
Last edited by BlackRose on 27 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

It's kinda fun to mess around with the differntly difficultly levels in Silent Hill 3. By using or not using the extra weapons and bullet adjust and deciding whether or not to run away from most of the enemies you can decide just how difficult to make the game for yourself. In a way, 3 has the most customation difficulty wise. I like Origins but only having one difficultly for a survival horror game suck-didally-ucks.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:It's kinda fun to mess around with the differntly difficultly levels in Silent Hill 3. By using or not using the extra weapons and bullet adjust and deciding whether or not to run away from most of the enemies you can decide just how difficult to make the game for yourself. In a way, 3 has the most customation difficulty wise. I like Origins but only having one difficultly for a survival horror game suck-didally-ucks.
I agree that it's good that you can adjust the difficulty settings. I just always play it on easy. I sometimes make the puzzles harder but not the combat.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Funny thing, I thoughs that the puzzles were harder in the normal setting than the hard setting...
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

KageReneko wrote:Funny thing, I thoughs that the puzzles were harder in the normal setting than the hard setting...
I haven't played SH2 in a while so i can't really remember. I would, personally, rather have tricky puzzles and easier combat than frustratingly hard combat and piss easy puzzles.
Stephen King
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ You know, I'd like em that an equal level. Personally, I think that the next game should combine the action and riddle modes. If you pick Easy, you've got easy action and puzzles. Hard, hard action and puzzles. That way, anyone who's in it just for the action will have to think as well. No pain, no gain.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:^ You know, I'd like em that an equal level. Personally, I think that the next game should combine the action and riddle modes. If you pick Easy, you've got easy action and puzzles. Hard, hard action and puzzles. That way, anyone who's in it just for the action will have to think as well. No pain, no gain.
I think it's nice to be able to choose the difficulty settings for combat and the puzzles because some people like me enjoy the puzzle/story more where as others prefer combat. If it was jumped lumped into one "easy" or "hard" mode i think that wouldn't be as enjoyable for some people.

Most games just have either "normal" or "hard" and that's it. It's nice to feel like you have more of a choice, i think. I would get bored if it meant having easy puzzles as well as combat because i enjoy working out all the riddles.
Stephen King
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ I guess I just like games that change as much based on the difficuly as possible. Hell, I'd love to see a boss monster that you only have to fight on Hard, sortof like how in 3 you didn't even have to do some puzzles on easy riddle mode.
Zaneゼイン
Just Passing Through

Post by Zaneゼイン »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:^ I guess I just like games that change as much based on the difficuly as possible. Hell, I'd love to see a boss monster that you only have to fight on Hard, sortof like how in 3 you didn't even have to do some puzzles on easy riddle mode.
I think that the 3rd was the easiest of them in riddles. During many time you just need to find keys and that´s just basically go to every room and it´s cool, you find it. When it actually had puzzles I just figured them out sooner and easier comparing to the first one and the second.
芸術家ー「闇心空中夢霊」
GioGio
Historical Society Historian

Post by GioGio »

So why don't you play om hard mode.
I've always found SH games to be easy, especially the bosses
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ I find 3 and Homecoming kinda difficult. Otherwise, pretty easy. I'd like to see one that does a good job slowly escalating the difficulty.
Margatroid
Just Passing Through

Post by Margatroid »

I know this is an old thread, but I'm bumping it because I have a relevant question:

I'm playing SH2 on PC and I just got to Brookhaven. My game is on Hard and it hasn't been too bad so far (other than PH taking 50-60 bullets to kill), but the Nurses seem INSANE. Like each one of them requires 20-30 bullets to take down, and if I try to fight them with the pipe it seems to take over a minute to kill each one. Also they hit pretty hard. The narrow hallway full of the medical rooms, some of which have Nurses inside, is a literal nightmare. Especially because I have to keep Maria alive.

Is the rest of the game this bad? Honestly the nurses are so tedious to kill that it takes the fear factor out and just seems like an irritating chore. I'm thinking maybe I should just restart on Normal, although I remember it felt pretty easy to me when I played it back in the day, which is why I put this game on Hard. It seems like they just went too far with the enemy HP though. Opinions appreciated!
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

My problem was with the Dual PH's. I got seriously lunched by those guys, playing SH2 on Hard. Never did manage to get past them. Is there a trick to it?
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Margatroid
Just Passing Through

Post by Margatroid »

I kept playing for a bit and realized that it's best to just run past the nurses every time it's possible, and not to go into the optional room where there's two of them. The ones I did have to deal with I used the shotgun on.

The miniboss room with the ceiling guys was super tedious though. I still had a decent amount of ammo left over after it, but it took me at least 40 seconds each of shooting those damn things to kill them, and none of them hit me even a single time. It seems less "hard" and more "tedious."

It sounds like the dual PHs will be a problem, considering how much health everything has so far.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

I've never thought that SH2 was supposed to be "physically" hard. As people have said the riddles are what make the game challenging.

I dont want to have to shoot every Lying figure or Mannequin 50-100 times before they perish, it would be more boring than challenging.

With the controls being limited the combat being too hard will damage the experience. Resident evil sometimes suffered from this, It creates other problems too, anyone play code veronica x?
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Got on to the plane where you encounter Tyrant, (was unaware he would be there)
saved it on the plane after take off, Tyrant appears, I have nowhere near enough ammo to kill him, could not go back as did not have an earlier game, absolutely nothing I could do, this was genuinely game breaking and I was not willing to restart the game again as it wasn't all that good anyway.
Put the riddle level on hard if you want the challenge the devs intended.

As for physical challenge the hardest IMHO is Homecoming. Combat could be quite frustrating in that, and to me it "feels" more like SH than Downpour.
colgatetoothpasteyum
Just Passing Through

Post by colgatetoothpasteyum »

Old dumb post where I say dumb things, ignore this if you come across it.

-3/8/22
Last edited by colgatetoothpasteyum on 08 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

yeah but it's as boring and repetitive as it is challenging and can become frustrating. SH is not really about combat. SM has NONE at all.