Is Silent Hill 2 Really as Bad as They Say?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

captaincrowbar
Just Passing Through

Is Silent Hill 2 Really as Bad as They Say?

Post by captaincrowbar »

I know it catches a lot of flak, but does it really deserve so much disdain?

I personally thought it was a pretty good game, not as good as Homecoming, but still not bad. Then some people go and bash it all the time and that's sad. :cry:

colgatetoothpasteyum
Just Passing Through

Re: Is Silent Hill 2 Really as Bad as They Say?

Post by colgatetoothpasteyum »

Old dumb post where I say dumb things, ignore this if you come across it.

-3/8/22
Last edited by colgatetoothpasteyum on 08 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

I deserves all the flak it gets, it's fucking awful.
Who's the man? Me!!
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Wait. Hold up. There's a second one?

shit gotta go
Postcode
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Postcode »

I heard it wasn't meant to be a Silent Hill game anyway.
For anyone that might be interested in such things, some links to my music, of the alternative rock kind -
http://postcode.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/zebracore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Can't believe some people want "Team Silent" back after SH2's fiasco.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Postcode wrote:I heard it wasn't meant to be a Silent Hill game anyway.
That's true, it was something like Doki Doki something but they decided to put the Silent Hill name in the end in order to get sales...
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

I seem to remember some people caught the Ebola virus just by sniffing the manual it's so bad. Some old gypsy hag came over to me and started spewing all kinds of crap when she seen me approaching the game in Woolworths, I was forced to fuck her up in all kinds of ways, but that's not the point.
Who's the man? Me!!
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Why is everything not rusty? Why isn't there snow in the air? Where is the mandolin? What is this garbage?
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I don't like how the Bogeyman is everywhere; especially considering he's a product of Alex from Homecoming.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

WTF is this a joke post??? How can Boogeyman be a product of Alex's?? His name in SH2 is Pyramid Head. And in SH2 he wasn't designed by committee as a poor misguided attempt at fan service (the design is ripped straight from the movie - a movie he had no business being in IMHO)

I really don't see how Homecoming can be better than SH2??

Homecoming is OK but SH2 is amazing.

Silent Hill 2 is not just one of the best games in the series, it's not just one of the best games of it's generation, it's actually one of the best pieces of any media of any kind to have ever been created, this isn't just my opinion, this is widely considered to be the case.

And Typophenia I am unsure as to whether or not you are employing the use of sarcasm? You must know why theses things are not in SH2, right?

And Seal Of Megatron, you are the Ebola virus :wink: :D

NOBODY BREATHE!!!!!!
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

thy_butcher wrote:I don't like how the Bogeyman is everywhere; especially considering he's a product of Alex from Homecoming.
I NOU, RITE?

Not to mention the awful plot holes. How can they have vacations in Silent Hill, since everyone knows the town has been evacuated when Alessa set fire to the underground mines? After all, HOW CAN A DEAD PERSON WRITE A LETTER?

Also, they tried too hard to sell the game with sex all the time, gee, the developers must have 13-year old boys.

And the plot twist in the end, so freaking obvious. "It's all a dream", NO SHIT SHERLOCK!
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

What's up with Eddie anyway? I'm surprised nobody mentioned that awful character. He's just a gutless fatso!
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

OK then here's one...... Silent Hill 2's mama is so fat she tried to sue an Xbox for guessing her weight.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

There are some things I'd change about SH2. For one thing, its combat system is pretty awful, which can break immersion. I'd love to see it remade with more fluid and natural combat, and of course more threatening monsters to compensate. The only thing scarier than a slow, lumbering, unstoppable Pyramid Head would be a quick, limber, and agile (and equally unstoppable) Pyramid head.

On the other hand, it has an amazing plot, one that gobsmacked me with the hotel room revelation. It has characters I feel for and care about. I feel sorry for Eddie and I am sickened and saddened at what Angela (the least deserving of all) does to herself. And I am sad for James, and Laura, and Mary: both for their individual plights and for the family that they might have been in a less cruel world. It has grotesque and disturbing monsters, and Pyramid Head is one of the scariest villains ever. And its environments are brilliant in both visual and auditory design; after countless playthroughs it still creeps me out. Few games allow you to feel like your character is simultaneously courting gruesome death, insanity, and damnation; SH2 achieves this without effort. Perhaps the most telling thing about it is that the game is 13 years old, and I still play it.

It is not a game for everybody. But it is an amazing game, in my opinion. If you disagree, then feel free to play something different.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Oddish wrote:There are some things I'd change about SH2. For one thing, its combat system is pretty awful, which can break immersion. I'd love to see it remade with more fluid and natural combat, and of course more threatening monsters to compensate. The only thing scarier than a slow, lumbering, unstoppable Pyramid Head would be a quick, limber, and agile (and equally unstoppable) Pyramid head.
Well given the HD remaster on PS3 I don't believe we will see a full remake, if somebody remade it with new controls, an "agile" PH then | don't think most of the fan base would be on board as it would be too different.

Look at the movie PH, he was all duded up and I don't think he was as creepy as original.

Faster, more amped up enemies would not necessarily make the game scarier either, Resident Evil is evidence of this.

Jason and Michael don't run, why should PH exert himself? :D

Condemned 2 is an underrated game that has the kind of enemies you are after, fast, aggressive and plentiful, also I've said this to people before but Dead Space, awesome games all 3 of them. If you haven't tried either of these I would seriously recommend them.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I'm not saying PH has to be doing handsprings or anything. However, in the game, James moves like a pregnant walrus with a broken flipper, so PH can be slow and clunky, no problem. If James is made more agile, PH needs to be quicker to compensate. If Jason were not capable of reasonably fast movement, his teenage victims would be able to escape him without effort.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Oddish wrote:I'm not saying PH has to be doing handsprings or anything. However, in the game, James moves like a pregnant walrus with a broken flipper, so PH can be slow and clunky, no problem. If James is made more agile, PH needs to be quicker to compensate. If Jason were not capable of reasonably fast movement, his teenage victims would be able to escape him without effort.
HA good point.

There is no game ever that I would like to see remade more than this, faithfully of course.

But if they did I have a feeling it would suck if not done properly which it most likely wouldn't, even the new voices on the HD remaster were awfull.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Imagine a modern version of SH2 that had a gruesome, visceral, "up close and personal" combat system.

Description of a typical fight: James, wooden plank in hand, encounters a straitjacket monster, which staggers rapidly toward him. James does not want a fight with this thing, so he turns and runs. SJ monsters can shuffle fast, but he can outrun them with effort. As he flees, he runs right into the arms of a mannequin, which plunges from the fog, kicking at him. Blood flies as its top feet strike home. James, unable to run, whales away with the plank, its nail tips sending streaks of blood through the air with every hit. The monster writhes in agony, then falls. James stomps on it, punching a hole in its side and saturating his boot with gore, and it stops moving as James is suddenly basted with acid from the first monster. He writhes in pain, cannot run, pummels it with his plank, barely sidestepping more sprays of acid. The thing falls and James frantically and terrifiedly pounds it several more times with the plank as it writhes on the grounds, then stands there, lungs heaving from the adrenaline rush. Injured in the fighting, he stops to ingest a health drink, and he gags from the horrible taste, but it works, his gait grows a bit steadier and the acid burns on his face fade a bit. More noises from the shadows. James pulls out his pistol, then turns to run from them. He's had enough of fighting, but knows he might not have a choice...

Monsters come from nowhere, their attacks fast and brutal. Bullets hit hard and exit amid red mist. Shotgun pellets generate multiple bloody impacts. Enemies go down hard and have to be finished off with kicks, stomps, or clubbings. Encounters are unexpected, terrifying, and brutal. You can fight (I don't waste my time with horror games where all you can do is hide or flee), but fighting is exhausting and you can expect to get hurt, so discretion is the better part of valor. You are afraid, on-edge, always jumping at the latest new sound coming from the mist, aware that it may be the last you ever hear...
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

^Yeah it's a nice idea but I still enjoy playing the original. I just imagine them struggling to recapture the magic. It's hard to rebottle lightening.