Silent Hills cancelled

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Re: Silent Hills cancelled

Post by tbonesays »

jdnation wrote: You will own nothing.
Bingo
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Mephisto wrote:^ Oh man, don't even get me started with episodic releases and pay-to-win titles. And when you think DLC abuse is bad...

Ugh. All that you wrote is my main concern with the industry right about now. Most were my main concerns since the end of 2008 (the time were DLC's really broke the fourth wall, if I'm not wrong - and of course I'm talking about the consoles) but more problems came.

But anyway... It's why I, sometimes, think about only focusing on the retro. But then you get the "there's new shit being released left and right and I'm not playing any of it" mood and you're forced to change plan A.

That's sad. The gaming industry became a monster. It doesn't even mask that it only wants your money. It doesn't even try. It just comes straight for your wallet, grabbing anything it can until nothing is left. Savage.

Just think back to the Xbox1 release and the restrictions they initially had in place for that system...your system couldn't play used games and you couldn't play your copy of a game at a friends's house?..etc...etc...pathetic... :roll:

Because MS dominated last gen, they figured they was going to force the gaming public into their insane policies...that plan backfired big time and trust...Sony back then was watching to see if MS was going to be successful or not, and if MS was successful, i'm sure Sony would've followed suit.

Sony saw the MS backlask and stated "whoa f**k that s**t...we would never do that" and came out looking like the gamer's best friend. Still, where MS tried to force the public into it's policies, all it really did was just slow down the process as you can see that the transition to digital content is going to be a gradual process instead of an abrupt one.

It's still going to happen, but by the time everybody realizes, it will be too late. Me personally i was never on board with DLC or digital content. Give the fans the best bang for their buck and they will support you.

Now dev's release unfinished games with these DLC being developed on the side, instead of just including these devices in the game itself, but gamers are buying these DLC like water so the process continues (so you pretty much have to buy this DLC to get the complete story in some scenarios)...when you have dev's charging for "extra costumes and "poses" or "special kills" when these aspects should be in the game already, it's a troubling scenario for the un-foreseen future.... :|
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

The Silent Hills petition officially reached over 150,000 signatures.

If the petition should eventually reach 500,000 to say 700,000 plus signatures, would Konami take notice? It took around 19 months for the Grand Theft Auto V for PC petition to reach over 720,000 signatures, and it worked.

On one hand there were over a million downloads for PT, if I recall correctly. On the other hand PT was free, so Konami may have assumed a lot less people would buy a full priced game. Hopefully, if the petition reaches at least 500K signatures, Konami might take notice. Konami stated they were committed to new Silent Hill titles and stated the possibility of the parties that were involved in the Silent Hills title. If Konami decides to revive Silent Hills in some form with Kojima, etc, it may or may not be the Silent Hills as originally planned. Hopefully, Sony can get involved to sweeten the pot. I could imagine one version being released on PS4/PC (non physical) while another version is released on mobile.Then again this would probably be the best case scenario.
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

Lots of wise and interesting things are being said. I'm at least grateful that for more and more people, the ugly truth of the industry is revealed. The naked villainy is wholly exposed and it is astonishing how big corporations are completely shameless in their behavior. They are literally without shame.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

It's been a long time coming. Their handling of the Silent Hill series 10 years ago was the first sign. Recent, pre-Kojima split, examples of Konami being assholes can be found in the shutdown of projects like the Metal Gear remake and the Metal Gear Solid Philanthropy sequel (whose creators Kojima himself endorsed at one point). Both non profit fan projects.
It's pretty clear there's no artistic or creative influence in the decision making of future pursuits anymore, and Konami's board rooms are full of people who only think in numbers.
We are still here...
ColdShadows
Just Passing Through

Post by ColdShadows »

Hello all, first time posting. I was very disappointed with the news because we were probably going to receive the best Silent Hill experience since the original games. After some time to process it all and reading/watching people's responses and commentaries all over the net, I can say that I am actually feeling optimistic now.

The hype from P.T. generated more attention it appears than any of the post Team Silent games, and even though it got cancelled, I feel like it has brought a lot of SH fans closer together and shown Konami that we are finally ready for a quality installment in the series again, and that it could be profitable and worthwhile for them to not treat one of their cornerstone franchises the way it has time and time again.

My optimistic outlook certainly won't make Silent Hills happen, but I'll enjoy P.T. for what it was and look to the future for our next worthy journey into the fog.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Welcome.

Anyway, I too hope that something of note comes out of this entire ordeal. Silent Hills was potentially the closest thing to a Team Silent experience. The petition now has over 155,000 signatures.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Alexius Corvinus wrote:Welcome.

Anyway, I too hope that something of note comes out of this entire ordeal. Silent Hills was potentially the closest thing to a Team Silent experience. The petition now has over 155,000 signatures.
Same here. My god, still bummed out. I started PT the other day and was thinking, 'what a damn shame' the entire time....

Sigh
RIP Silent Hills
silent hills 4ever
Just Passing Through

Post by silent hills 4ever »

hello everyone I am new here. I never liked the silent hill games but P.t. Was one of my favorite horror games ever! I don't want this to die. I want Kojima to work on another horror game. You can tell by my name how passionate I am about this :wink:
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Hello.

Anyway, a link to more Konami related news.

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=19707

Basically, the gist of it is that Konami will still develop games for consoles and that the MG and Silent Hill series are very important to them.

Total bullshit. If they gave a crap, they never would have cancelled Silent Hills-a game that most fans were eagerly anticipating-or even try to erase PT from existence.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

"We have nurtured them with care over many years"
Piss of konami.
Who's the man? Me!!
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

I know, right? Anyway, there is a similar article up at IGN.

There is a rumor that Microsoft is looking to buy the rights to Silent Hills for the Xbox 1. Supposedly, the game is 80 percent complete, which seems to contradict Konami's assertion that SHS was in an "embryonic" state. Of course, that could also mean "Un-released." Still, I would take this rumor with a grain of salt. To be honest, I would rather have it released on the PS4, as I find it hard for me to justify the purchase of a system for just one game. If no one buys MS's version of SHS, the franchise could end up being shelved for good, IMO.

Here is the link:

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rumor ... exclusive/
Last edited by Alexius Corvinus on 29 May 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

If this was them nuturing Silent Hill, i shudder to think what they're planning for it next.
Who's the man? Me!!
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Imagine Microsoft releasing "Silent Hills."

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rumor ... exclusive/
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Lies.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Yeah, I can't imagine SH becoming an Xbox exclusive. If it did, then I guess I'd be done playing new games in the series.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Everything in that PR apology is pure wankery. Clears up nothing. Some of it obvious lies. And only lends credence to the 'conjecture' they are lamenting -

That Konami is going to become a mobile-first, port-to-other-devices-like-consoles-second developer who is going to lay off top talent staff because hiring the guy who can model farmville is cheaper than the guy who can model Shadow Moses, and also that all creatives are being kicked out of the decision-making-process entirely as this PR only confirms.

Spin-spin-spin, but the car's going nowhere...
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Seal of Megatron wrote:"We have nurtured them with care over many years"
Piss of konami.

*looks at Homecoming,SM, Downpour,BOM*... :shock: ....granted...those aren't bad games, just pointing out that the quality of SH games have dropped quite a bit since the post SH4 era.

And if they cared so much, there's no way you kill the biggest interest the series has seen in years and there's no way you delete P.T. from the servers clean..P.T. was the first demo, that showed what a proper SH game (with proper funding and support) could look like and konami said "lol....NOPE"

It's baffling that they would kill a project knowing that it would have most likely made them millions in returned profit. Sure we don't know how the actual game would have turned out, but P.T. gave us a pretty good idea that there was some great things to come down the pike from this team and konami with their unforseen wise wisdom decided, that we should get more "outsourced" mediorce SH games....prepare for that to happen to the MGS series as well.... :|
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Aha, mgs is pretty doomed as well i would of thought. All this fake crap they're coming out with now is because of them being worried about it affecting sales of mgs5. Once that's made it's money, that will be that, and any console/pc games they do make (if any) will be cheap, poorly developed crap.
Who's the man? Me!!
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Standard PR message and people are getting upset. Why am I surprised?

That "rumor" is ridiculous.
Not because of the microsoft angle, but because of everything else. The "80%" done is stupid (besides putting a percentage of completion on a piece of media) because there is no way their pr department would allow a product with del Toro, Reedus, and Kojima to not be well into the PR cycle at that stage. It would have been announced a year or two ago (by current standards, maybe even longer ago), we would have seen much more by now, and they would not have done the P.T. thing that late into its development. Not to mention the fact that Reedus had not been brought in to do any work yet. Yeah, sure, the likeness you went to so much effort to secure wasn't going to be done up front but come as a last minute thing...

Also, billions, hahahahaha.

Good thing Phil Spencer debunked it instead of allowing it to float out there.
http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/phil- ... ne-rumors/#