Silent Hills...could go to the Xbox One

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

unreadphilosophy
Historical Society Historian

Silent Hills...could go to the Xbox One

Post by unreadphilosophy »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/ ... -exclusive

Guys, get ready to embrace the rumor mill, because this is a must-have discussion for us. According to Rooster Teeth, a popular YouTube series that does a focus on games, an unconfirmed source has come forward and said that Microsoft is apparently trying to strike a deal with Konami to not only finish Silent Hills, but to turn it (and what could be the entire Silent Hill franchise from here on out) into an exclusive for the Xbox One. According to the source, Microsoft is offering billions (chump change for that company) for the IP. Now that Konami has announced that they want to put all of their focus on the mobile market, selling off their console IPs to other developers who may have an interest in them isn't out of the question. What's more important to consider, though, is the fact that the Silent Hill franchise has been in the hands of western developers ever since Team Silent broke up a short time after the release of The Room in early 2004. Taking that all into consideration, the Silent Hill franchise in the hands of Microsoft...isn't something that's too far fetched to believe. Of course, Microsoft isn't a company that's been known to handle survivor horror; most of their flagship titles have always been first-person shooter/action experiences (i.e. Halo). Seeing them jump into a genre that they've never really had experience with would be interesting to say the least.

If this rumor is legit, the source that provided this information says that Microsoft plans to announce the acquisition at this year's E3 conference.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Silent Hills...could go to the Xbox One

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

Yeah I read about it on another site.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rumor ... exclusive/

Now I am starting to wonder how much truth there is to this rumor. I would rather it be released on the PS4 though. But is the Silent Hill IP really selling for billions of dollars or yen?
Lastly, Konami stated they're not abandoning consoles (we shall see though).
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

It wouldn't surprise me with Phil Spenser heading the Xbox Group. He seems to wanna add as many exclusive IPs as possible, and Xbox doesn't have anything in the horror genre.

If true, though I wish Japanese Developers would make the game (specifically Kojima and his team), I'd rather the IP be with someone who'll actually do something with it, then just sit on it, or worse, make a Gambling Machine out of it.

Then again, who knows. Maybe Microsoft will not only buy the rights, but also fund Kojima and whatever new studio he works for next to make it.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

That article lost credibility with me for two reasons. First of which he mentioned billions of dollars. Bullshit no IP save for Star Wars can demand that price range. Two when they said the game is 80% complete. No one is going to cancel a game that is that far along.

I also don't like the idea of it going to Xbox exclusive after you know the PT was PS4 exclusive. I'm not buying a system for one game.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

Yeah, looking at the rumor again, and it sounds like total bullshit. What company would pay billions of dollars for a niche franchise?
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Alexius Corvinus wrote:Yeah, looking at the rumor again, and it sounds like total bullshit. What company would pay billions of dollars for a niche franchise?
Maybe I'm being too overly optimistic here and at this point I don't really care, but billions is not a whole lot to a huge company like Microsoft and they could perhaps see huge potential in the franchise (esp after how popular the demo was). Even though I'd absolutely hate for it and potential sequels to be Xbox exclusive, it's still better than nothing.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

In this thread, nobody played Alan Wake.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

rumor debunked by head of Xbox
RIP Silent Hills
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

"Sorry, this isn't true. Not sure where the rumor started but I don't want to mislead anyone." - Phil Spencer

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054439

This rumor was completely bogus from the sound of it.
- Silent Hill as an IP is certainly not worth "billions"
- Microsoft is the least positioned for working with Japanese devs, and even less now, excepting some noble efforts during the 360 launch.
- Outside of Remedy, if Microsoft was going to pursue an IP as a bonifide console exclusive, they'd be more likely to go after one with an online focus that drives users to Xbox LIVE.
- The recent issues at Konami came abruptly and too soon for anyone to be in any position to even approach the idea.
- Who is going to make Silent Hills for one if Microsoft did pay for it? Konami? With what's likely to lead to major layoffs if rumors are to be believed of top talent? The teams at Konami that are mobile-first? It's one thing for Microsoft to hypothetically swoop in and pay for timed exclusivity of something in development like Tomb Raider. What work has been done on Silent Hills?
- The original rumor apparently indicated that the game was 80% done? LOL!
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Thought so. This whole rumor mill thing is gonna get old real quick. I get pt is interesting, but damn, can we not do the whole "a guy on youtube said his 'sources' told him" thing? Becoming a bit ridiculous here.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Yeah, the "billions" bit was what sank the rumor, for me.

The basic idea isn't bad: Awhile back, I was offered an Xbox One by the Pixie (a white one, 'cuz I like my shiny, clean, unblemished white hardware: It shows how well I take care of my stuff), and I didn't take it, but it left me thinking about something I hadn't before.

I've naturally been a PS/Nintendo player, just 'cuz I'm more into their offerings. I've held off on getting a PS4 because I'm not gonna spend $400 on one game (yes, Bloodborne is awesome; yes, there will be more exclusives I want; but there aren't, right now). While Xbox hasn't interested me too much, outside of the original, and it's too similar to PlayStation for me to really justify getting both (that overlap of software is what's reduced my PS4 playables to one, what with the PC), I'm not fervently anti-Xbox, or anything. It's simply lost out, in regards to what I wanna play.

Now, the rumor's debunked (and, really, gotta give props to Spencer for debunking it so quickly instead of letting a niche fandom like us froth at the mouth for years), so all of this is useless spitballing, but I just wanna think a little about what it could've meant.

I don't see MS as being incompatible with a game like Silent Hill, or even a good one, though an a priori component for me getting interested enough to plunk down for an Xbone would be that Kojima and del Toro would have to be on board: Basically, the same game that was going to be produced by Konami/KojiPro, just with MS cash and platform. Without that, it'd just be another derivative Silent Hill based on 1 and/or 2, and I've about had my fill of that: It's boring. Twelve years since SH3, I'm getting tired of the derivatives to the point that I'd rather have no Silent Hill than another milquetoast one (I liked Shattered Memories, but I'm just not motivated to play it again... which, more than anything, describes my final evaluation).

But, let's assume this is happening. Dream project, why not?

What gave the PS4 such an edge, up to this point, is that it launched with a lower pricepoint and was successfully positioned by Sony (perhaps more for MS's industry-focused errors than anything Sony did, itself) as a customer's console. However, there's so much overlap that I don't think the distance between the two is terribly wide: It could be made up, and with far less effort than Sony would've had to put in to make the PS3 beat the 360.

Currently, an Xbox One without Kinect can be bought for $350, and there are rumors of an oncoming Xbone Slim that could easily be between $250 and $300 (more towards the latter, I think). Give it a white shell, add the KojiPro/del Toro SHs (and my being quite far behind on Halo), and that would be enough to make me seriously consider the hardware. Not a thought I was given to have, back at hardware launch, but money does talk.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Someone someday will create a 'new Silent Hill.' If done right, like Silent Hills looked like it could have been done, it will be potentially huge
RIP Silent Hills
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Yeah, as lukewarm as I am with The Room, at least it had the gumption to try something new, instead of simply rehashing elements of 1 and 2. Perhaps the PS2 was too underpowered, or the development time too short, or the project simply too ambitious?

I can't recall anyone attacking the actual idea (as opposed to the execution), but I'd be down for a "ground-up reimagining" or "completion" of The Room. Either way, it should stand as a template to create a new Silent Hill game. I think the biggest hope that P.T. represented for me was a Silent Hill at least as different as that. If I had to narrow it down, more than the star cred or even the (reportedly, I must now forever say) execution of the demo, itself, was its apparent lack of dependence on 1 and 2.

Yeah, you're right: A new Silent Hill isn't impossible... but it'd require the courage to actually do something new. Silent Hill isn't Resident Evil: It can't get by on a bunch of self-references.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

It is possible that Konami can put together a great SH game, but going by their track record (at least lately), that seems highly unlikley. Graphics are not everything, but i would like for them to at least take advantage of the fox engine. It's an in-house engine that with the right team, can take advantage of it's processing and visual abilities.

From what i understand Konami only has one team in their games division that is composed of the group that made their DDR games. Konami states they want to support SH, but we'll see if they want to give it the quality that we have seen in P.T. or will they continue to under-budget this series like they did last gen...
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

1, 2, 3, and The Room all were top-shelf, to the point where the fog was necessary and not merely an aesthetic holdover. Hell, even Origins can claim that, on PSP.

And that aesthetic holdover—that it's unnecessary, outside of that—is part of the problem. While I'm not saying in absolute terms, "Do away with the fog," a Silent Hill game should be frightening and unnerving without fog (though, at this point, a Silent Hill game should be unnerving, period, and that the goals have to be qualified like this is disgraceful).

(or, alternatively, be so absolutely gorgeous that the fog is actually necessary, again... but an SH game like that would never, ever make up its costs)

Yet, as much as I like this community, the cacophony of bitching if Konami ever released a Silent Hill game without fog would be epic. While the company certainly deserves a large share of the blame for lacking the courage to do anything interesting with the series, but I can see the reason why they'd refuse to take risks. While Book of Memories isn't the best example (not an effective horror game... or even a horror game, really), I think the knee-jerk reaction is telling. Perhaps part of the problem is that there's a Silent Hill series, period.

I mean, imagine if Bloodborne were "Dark Souls 3." I have a vague feeling that it wouldn't be as well received as it is, if it were. Somebody, somewhere (and enough to be heard), would be bitching about how guns and an emphasis on dodging aren't what Dark Souls is about... and they would have a point, even if they'd be willing to sacrifice something very interesting to follow it.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Kenji wrote:Yet, as much as I like this community, the cacophony of bitching if Konami ever released a Silent Hill game without fog would be epic.
I was about to say something like that when reading your last post. That's very true.

Though I feel that the developers of a next SH title (doesn't matter who, this is just an example) wouldn't dare, or bother, to change... To remove the fog, come to think of it.

Especially because this is a heavy mark of the series. Along with Pyramid Head. Funny how they milked that character to death. Everyone gets it, he's fucking awesome yada yada yada... But c'mon... Look at that shit:

God, I HATE that chibi shit...

In the first image it's, more than likely, fan-made. But the second one is from a game called Track and Field... A relic from Konami. There's also some slot machines and arcade games with stupid crap from the SH series. I wouldn't be surprised if they already released Silent Hill Trading Cards :roll:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Look at where the conversation went... Derailed the whole fuckin' thread :lol:
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I actually don't agree at all, i know there's some extremist, but i really doubt anyone would care that much if there wasn't fog in a silent hill title, as long as it was, you know, good and was creepy and had great atmosphere. I mean P.T. didn't have fog during it's gameplay.

Also as far as silent hill doing something new, I'd be down with that. As long as they can deliver that weird abstract creepiness and atmosphere that i love about silent hill(which is one of the most important things about silent hill to me), i don't care if they don't follow an exact formula. P.T. did a good job of this to begin with it At this point the only game i can think of that had creepy stuff i hadn't seen anything like before was bloodborne weirdly enough.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Fevered Dream wrote:
Alexius Corvinus wrote:Yeah, looking at the rumor again, and it sounds like total bullshit. What company would pay billions of dollars for a niche franchise?
Maybe I'm being too overly optimistic here and at this point I don't really care, but billions is not a whole lot to a huge company like Microsoft and they could perhaps see huge potential in the franchise (esp after how popular the demo was). Even though I'd absolutely hate for it and potential sequels to be Xbox exclusive, it's still better than nothing.
I'm a little late commenting on this but there is NO WAY that an unfinished, unreleased Silent Hill game is worth Billions... Especially an Xbox exclusive. NO WAY.

Silent Hill is not COD or GTA, it just doesn't bring in that kind of Dollar.

I could be wrong given the current financial climate but I just can't see it.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

this rumor has already been debunked anyway.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

This rumour didn't make any sense to me when they said that it was 80% along. My source (official but unofficial, if you know what I mean) said Silent Hills had barely started; all of Kojima Productions efforts were going into MGSV. :/
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.