Silent Hills cancelled

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hills cancelled

Post by Mephisto »

Book of Memories was alright though.

One thing that most of our fandom needs to understand is that horror doesn't mean "scary". That word is only one of the things that the genre triggers. The ResEvil people need to put that inside their thick skull.

I said before, in some threads, and I'll say it again... There are plenty of games, from the very different genres to the more of the same, with horror elements.

As far as I care anything related to the "dark", the "strange", the "obscure" is horror. Thriller is also up there with horror. To the point that a new genre (psychological thriller) was created. Mystery, too. Etc...

So... Book of Memories felt more like a Diablo, but don't forget the fact that Diablo IS dark fantasy. Horror. See how things are not that different? People bothered with Book of Memories thought more about the gameplay than the other aspects. You still have creepy environments, monsters... And that shit is horror.

But anyway, my main grip with cellphone games is that they'll be, without a doubt, trash. Baits. Like slot-machines. And don't ever forget the fact that pay-to-win is here to stay.

They'll probably be uninspired spin-offs like the ones with Chibi Pyramid Head. A cellphone isn't capable of decent games. Maybe a tablet. But a mobile? A fucking cellphone?
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

i just don't see how konami can take a look at P.T. and say "naw bruh...we're good...we're going to make the best kickass mobile SH game you ever played"....XD

BOM was nothing more than a glorified dungeon crawler...if they wanted to create a multiplayer type game for SH, at the very least they should have went the route of RE outbreak.

That was the only type of MP horror game that i can co-sign...that game managed to keep the creepy atmosphere of the original RE games and employ tactics in terms of implementing people with special skills to progress within the game...i loved that series...my issue was that i played offline and the AI in offline mode was dismal.

Your AI character would either get killed, wonder off into the map, get lost...etc..it made the game practically un-playable because of the dismal play mechanics of the AI...online with human players was great tho...at least that what i heard.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Mephisto wrote:Book of Memories was alright though.

One thing that most of our fandom needs to understand is that horror doesn't mean "scary". That word is only one of the things that the genre triggers. The ResEvil people need to put that inside their thick skull.
Well said. The definition of Horror is something that plays or provokes negative emotions: fear, panic, sorrow etc, mostly centered on fear granted.

But it's not just about fear.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Sure, it doesn't always mean scary, a game can have elements of horror and not be scary. But, in silent hills case a lot of people found it to be at least unsettling. I doubt people felt that way about book of memories. Also, trying to be horror vs having elements of horror in the game are completely different, i'd say book of memories was more likely a game with horror elements than a horror game. And from what i heard, book of memories was nothing special, a very average game.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Its Gone Now wrote:

Well said. The definition of Horror is something that plays or provokes negative emotions: fear, panic, sorrow etc, mostly centered on fear granted.

But it's not just about fear.
I don't really agree. A piece of art that invokes sorrow is called tragedy. Panic refers to suspense, and laughter:comedy. Horror might do any of these, but semantically it's the fear that defines the genre.
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

PT was definetely unsettling... Lisa scares might been cheap, but they were super effective to me, the danger was just very real. Closest time i felt scared as running from Pyramid guy in sh2 or twins in sh4 .
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

Watch when the next Silent Hill game might be on mobile, with ports to PS4/X1. SMH
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I was so ready to come geek out here with you guys. It's been so long. When I found out Silent Hills had been canceled, I avoided logging on. I figured everyone was already voicing how they felt about it. I guess I'll put in my two cents. WHYYYYY!!!??? Why?? WHY? Bulls***! Both Silent Hill and Resident Evil are DEAD. Konami and Capcom both SUCK. Stop re-releasing sh** and make a new game that you aren't going to CANCEL! What's with these HD reskins of games we've all played before? Silent Hills looked like it was going to be pretty original, for a game in a franchise!

WHY?
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

At least Capcom's re-releases are competent.

Konami on the other hand...
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

jdnation wrote:At least Capcom's re-releases are competent.

Konami on the other hand...
Yeah, I suppose that's true.... haha
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Looking back at my thoughts a couple posts up, was that really a year ago? Wow. The wound still feels so fresh, haha! I will say, Resident Evil 7 is looking better than I ever expected. I am into this direction they are going.

Is there any hope of Silent Hills going back into development? Probably not, right? It just sucks, soooo many people were beyond excited for it.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

warfare315 wrote:Is there any hope of Silent Hills going back into development? Probably not, right? It just sucks, soooo many people were beyond excited for it.
It's possible. Konami's recent financials according to Jim Sterling are that their Pachinko is down and their digital entertainment is up. So there seems to be a bit of an about face occurring at Konami that hints at future Metal Gear stuff, particularly some indications of an MGSV complete edition that probably includes both Ground Zeroes & The Phantom Pain with all the released MGO content. There was mention of Silent Hill in that Silent Hills is indeed cancelled and they're wondering what to do with it.

At best they are probably looking towards the same strategy where some external studio makes the game for as cheaply as possible. No indication of any internal development and FOX Engine is used exclusively for PES now.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

In any case, could it be possible for Konami to outsource a new gen Silent Hill IP title to other developers like Suda51, From Software or Psychoz Interactive (developer of Forgotten Memories- Alternate Realities)?
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Sure, it's entirely within the realm of possibility. Nintendo has had Legend of Zelda games developed by Capcom, for instance. However, possible and likely are two very different things.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Alexius Corvinus wrote:In any case, could it be possible for Konami to outsource a new gen Silent Hill IP title to other developers like Suda51, From Software or Psychoz Interactive (developer of Forgotten Memories- Alternate Realities)?
That's what they've been doing all along so I wouldn't doubt they'd do it again.

But it'd most likely be smaller relatively not-so-well-known devs who are willing to work with Konami and put up with their shit.

Suda51 likely wouldn't and enjoys relationships with other publishers. From also already has a good relationship with Atlus and Sony.

Given Kojima Productions is remaining tight lipped on what they are doing and who they are hiring and new KojiPro staff don't want Konami finding out they're working there, not to mention that we can confirm that more Konami employees are indeed leaving Konami and going to Kojima Productions, it's doubtful anyone in Japan wants to work with Konami, which may only leave smaller devs desperate for a publisher.

It wouldn't surprise me if these devs were forced to use Konami's brand, even if their pitches were for original ideas. So they'd likely just pitch something with the expectation that Konami will make them put the Silent Hill brand on it.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

As was posted above, yeah sure they've done that twice with both Homecoming and Downpour, both of which I actually do really like despite the lukewarm response from many die hard fans.

Given the state of Konami and their scorched earth policy, I don't think many reputable people will be lining up to work for them now or in the immediate future. They've also made it very clear they aren't exactly looking to do console games anymore. I suspect they'll sit on their IP's for a while, which seems like the next bad step of a series of bad steps they've made for a few years now. Their IPs depreciate in value when no one is doing anything with them for extended periods of time. It's been 4 years since the last game.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Well Konami recently stated-through a spokesperson-that they want to earn the fans' trust back. Good luck with that, Konami.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Suda51 working on a Silent Hill title? Nah, no thanks. He's kinda like the Tarantino of the games. You either love his stuff or you hate it.

The majority of his games were nice but others, like Lollipop Chainsaw, were shit.
Plus, I can't even think how he would fare against the serious tone waters of SH since his style is more tongue in cheek. Stupid, in other words.

Kojima proved that he can be a serious writer despite messing everything more than once but Suda never did it afaik (well, he DID work with Kojima once but idk about that project).

And there's what others have said, too. I think he's with Atlus, too. Like FromSoft.

I'd rather someone else like Shinji Mikami. I think he's on his own, like a freelancer (seriously the last game he made was published by Bethesda. Whowouldathoughtbouthatmang).

Also, Konami wanting to earn the trust of the fans back? Hah, good luck indeed! Just focus on that shitty copy n' paste soccer game and abandon everything else. Like you always do nowadays.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Konami's ability to gain fans trust back has been proven with Metal Gear Survive. The trailer of which has almost 105,000 dislikes on Youtube.

Clearly they know what they're doing!
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Who knows. Since Netflix just recently announced a hard R Castlevania series, it COULD be possible for something.

But given the last how many years, I wouldn't hold your breath for fuck all.