The Whispering

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: The Whispering

Post by Its Gone Now »

I know what this is, I remember this from when I used to just browse the site yeeeears ago.

Its not always going to happen, it is determined whether it is going to happen or not when you start the game, so going in and not hearing it will mean that you have to start a new game for a chance to hear it. Simply reloading the file will not be enough. Don't know why they made it like that, it's a bit extreme.

It is James' voice. I concur with most that the last part is almost indecipherable

I remember "come see my dead wife" being part of it, I never experienced this myself but I have hear recordings of the whispers. I'm going to listen to them now actually, lets find it on Youtube....... here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnwv1YxM4A0

And heres the Wikia.

http://silenthilltheories.wikia.com/wik ... k_Whispers

Enjoy, the feeling I get when I play SH2 is palpable. Things like this make it even cooler.
I, Rabbit
Just Passing Through

Post by I, Rabbit »

The next line "....come home to do some laundry to escape" is a slang term for masturbation.
That is...disturbing :!:

What type of man thinks about whacking one out in the same sentence as seeing his terminally ill wife?
I want to see how far I can go before I'm forced to stop.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Sorry to say this but it says nothing. It's gibberish. It comes from the stock SFX sample CD called Nightingale Voice Box Sound Effects Library
Volumes 1 & 2.

http://www.sound-ideas.com/sound-effect ... fects.html

Here is the sample in high quality uncompressed and extended to hear more than what they used in the game.
https://soundcloud.com/peronmls/66-whisperingmale-1

What you guys are hearing is caused by Auditory Pareidolia. You are tricking yourself into hear what you want to hear.

Don't over theorize SH guys! :wink:
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

It seems you are correct sir, why on earth didn't you post this years ago???? Unless you have and I just didn't see it :oops: .

So does that mean that sounding like James is a sheer coincidence?? I really thought it was James' voice.

I don't know why they used a random sample for something like this, so many people are theorising about it and it turns out to be nothing?

Don't I feel silly :roll: .

Do you know for a fact this was just a sample they used and not an original recording from the game that someone has put on a sample CD?

I know it served it's purpose and piqued peoples curiosity but finding out that it really isn't anything relevant ruins it.

Why couldn't they have used an original recording that was more significnt I wonder?

My whole world view is being called into question :?
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^ It sucks but don't worry too much about it. I had a lot of interesting theories/thoughts ruined in the past. A shame. I don't even care anymore.

@I, Rabbit: He wanted to have sex with her but couldn't because of "that damn disease". It's pretty normal to jack off. At least he didn't fucked any whore on the streets (not that we know of anyway). He just saw some strippers. So, in the end, he was a faithful man. Kinda...

Even if the audio is gibberish it explains the backstory. Even if it is "what we want to hear".
PeachySakura24
Historical Society Historian

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I listened to the sample thing awhile back, and it sounded like they took a few words and overlapped them. It wasn't so much that it was gibberish, just that they took actual words and put them together in a way that it would sound like something different to different people. I could hear what some people said they heard, but also heard something entirely different at the same. I think that is a very clever effect.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Its Gone Now wrote:It seems you are correct sir, why on earth didn't you post this years ago???? Unless you have and I just didn't see it :oops: .

So does that mean that sounding like James is a sheer coincidence?? I really thought it was James' voice.

I don't know why they used a random sample for something like this, so many people are theorising about it and it turns out to be nothing?

Don't I feel silly :roll: .

Do you know for a fact this was just a sample they used and not an original recording from the game that someone has put on a sample CD?
I think i did mention it but people might have skipped right over it like this might if the OP isnt updated with this info.

Also I know 100% for a fact that this came first because
#1 This is way higher quality because it's the original
#2 This came out in the 90's before SH2 came out.
silentevil1989
Just Passing Through

Post by silentevil1989 »

The original sample in Soundcloud is beyond creepy. Damn, theorising was good while it lasted :-( , thanks for clarifying it.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

silentevil1989 wrote:The original sample in Soundcloud is beyond creepy. Damn, theorising was good while it lasted :-( , thanks for clarifying it.
People over theorize SH2 and should not. You should not trust anything SilentHillwiki says. Most of it is fake.
silentevil1989
Just Passing Through

Post by silentevil1989 »

I have to disagree. In my opinion, the Wiki articles are actually very accurate about the interpretation of the symbolism employed in the series, never saw an article doing a wild guess. Almost everything that I read there has been somewhat backed by several discussions here. The freedom of editing a wiki is both a curse and a gift, but it's usually reliable.

The same with TV Tropes, despite the interpretation of the features in the series being something subjective, their take on them is spot on to me.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

It's pretty watertight I'm afraid to say, it is 100% the same recording, that debunks it as being James' voice (believe me I'm as disappionted as anyone).

The articles are normally quite trustworthy but nobody is infallible.

If it was on a CD that was released in the 90s then it couldn't have ben recorded by Akira or anyone else at Team Silent.

As for the meaning of it, you can take your own as with most things in SH2.

As for what it sounds like, they may have used it intentionally, it could have been a happy accident, but it is NOT James, unlike a lot of people (including me) though to be the case.

You have to accept evidence even if you don't want to, and Wiki can be wrong, I was the one who posted a link to one but now I'm not sure it is right at all.
Pastucci
Just Passing Through

Post by Pastucci »

This is what I hear when I play the clip"

"Same old damn lie, and I'll come home, load in some laundry, and then she'll need me to take her car (inaudible) to Saint's."

Of course, Saint's is referring to St. Jeromes where Mary may have been hospitalized.

Here is the audio clip:

http://sh2whispering.ytmnd.com/
Heaven's Night
<3
Neurotic
Just Passing Through

Post by Neurotic »

It's nothing but nonsense on stilts. :D

As for Mary being hospitalized? I'm pretty sure that's a fabrication.
Pastucci
Just Passing Through

Post by Pastucci »

^
The nurse "Rachel" that Laura mentions that tended to Mary is the same "Rachel" that we learn about in SH4, where it is known that she worked/works at St. Jeromes Hospital in South Ashfield.

It's not a fabrication, it's paying attention to the details.

My interpretation of the audio clip above is the fabrication most likely, if that is what you meant to say.
Heaven's Night
<3
Droo

Post by Droo »

peronmls wrote: 11 Feb 2015 Sorry to say this but it says nothing. It's gibberish. It comes from the stock SFX sample CD called Nightingale Voice Box Sound Effects Library
Volumes 1 & 2.

http://www.sound-ideas.com/sound-effect ... fects.html

Here is the sample in high quality uncompressed and extended to hear more than what they used in the game.
https://soundcloud.com/peronmls/66-whisperingmale-1

What you guys are hearing is caused by Auditory Pareidolia. You are tricking yourself into hear what you want to hear.

Don't over theorize SH guys! :wink:
NECROBUMP!!!!!

Soooo.... I just discovered this thread (specifically this last page of the thread and peronmls' post confirming the sample) was featured in a YouTube video in 2019 and none of us apparently noticed haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3FllKACj70
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

You know, I never thought it was James' voice, but I was disappointed to learn it was a random sample Yamaoka pulled.

But then I realized just how much his music and sound effects weren't actually his. He lied about all that. He said he recorded, like, 300 separate footsteps to use for the game(s) and then we learned they were all just sampled.

We were all under the impression the second game's soundtrack was created with him laboriously sitting in his studio using synth pads and keyboards and all this shit when in reality he simply took samples and edited them. (Even though even in Silent Hill: Homecoming he didn't even edit some of them!)

So, disappointed by this? Yes. In part because I alone probably spent like 5 hours of my life listening to this stupid sample on repeat trying to decipher it, and that's a generous guess.

But am I surprised? Nah.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Levanael wrote: 11 May 2013 Forgive me for digging up this old thread, but I have some info to add regarding the apartment whisper that some may find useful.

I took a course in post-production for film and tv in 2006-7 and while searching for creepy sounds for a project that I was working on, came across this exact whispering and a couple variations of it in a sound effects library (which belonged to my teacher who was a professional sound editor). Being a huge SH fan I not only recognized the whisper, but made note of the name of the library and copied all variations of the whispering that were there to my hard drive. Unfortunately that hd died on me a couple years ago and I lost them.

All variations said different things but were just gibberish (walla), as Jeremy Blaustein says, but I'm convinced this whispering was not even recorded specifically for Silent Hill 2 or by any of SH2's voice actors, but rather it was taken from an existing sfx library.

I can only make out “…put in some laundry then doing something in the evening, and I can take you to the concert…” which clearly doesn't have anything to do with SH at all, but now I really wish I had those variations because this was in 2006 that I came across this sfx library so I can't entirely rule out the possibility that it was in fact first recorded for SH2 and Konami (or Yamaoka, or the voice actor himself) later sold the rights to it for inclusion in this and other sfx libraries.

That's all, hope someone finds that info useful.
Wild that this person, Levanael, called it in 2013.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.