Another Red Diary (complete)

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Another Red Diary (complete)

Post by Burning Man »

*spoilers*
Introduction:

Back when Silent Hill 4 -The Room- was on the horizon, Konami made available something called Mô hitotsu no akano nikki (in English, that is "Another Red Diary") to people who registered for Konami's mailing list. And if you've played the game, you'd be aware that the "Red Diary" are entries that Joseph Schreiber left for Henry Townshend in his quest for survival.

These supplementary entries are made by Suguru Murakoshi, the director and scenario writer for the fourth game. Thus, you won't find these in the game, but they are canon as far as the game itself goes. It used to be available at Konami's official Silent Hill 4 -The Room- website at http://www.sh2004.com/ , but it has since been removed.

Red Diary : April 10th

It's been a long time, but today I've come back from the "Wish House" site that resided within the woods.
That's because I was able to acquire the key to the place through a certain route.
With that key, I was able to enter "Wish House" which has now been in ruins.
On the first floor, there was a big room, where there were furnitures such as desks and chairs scattered about, and a relatively smaller room, where one could have installed an altar.
On the second floor, there were several back rooms for the followers and the children to live in.
This is where I had discovered a certain book.
That wasn't the holy script that the Order was using,
but more likely, it was a book with contents that were disadvantageous to the Order.
I've since only skimmed through it,
so when I'm finished writing my entry, I'm planning to comprehend it.

---
Red Diary : April 16th

I've finally finished reading this book.
Perhaps this is something terrible.
On the surface, the Order has been demolished,
but I am positive that they are still active under the water's surface.
That is, by keeping the book with me, I don't know when I will be put in danger.
But until the time comes when I need this book, I must protect it even if it costs my life.
By the way, since I've stepped into the "Wish House" site this past day,
I'm starting to have strange dreams every night.

A little kid is shaking his mother's body, crying, "Mama...wake up...mama...,"
and continuously pleading to her.
And when the mother, who had her back turned toward me, slowly turns around...
That's when I always wake up.

---
Red Diary : June 17th

Finally, the third ceremony has begun.
In a little while. A little while longer.
After that. With the final ceremony.
Everything. Will be complete.
Mama will. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up.
Wakeupwakeupwakeupwakeup
Wakeupwakeupwakeupwakeup

What in the world am I writing...?

---
Red Diary : July 7th

With the information from a certain source,
I've barely come to understand the factions and the human relations within the cult.
Earlier, there were three main sects within that cult.
They are called the Sect of the Holy Woman, the Sect of the Holy Mother and the Sect of Valtiel.

The Sect of the Holy Woman, a faction centered around Priestess Dahlia Gillespie, believed in the resurrection of the god by impregnating a woman, who has concealed special powers, with the child god within her womb.

The Sect of the Holy Mother used to show respect to the "Mother Stone" as a holy entity, but by using their self-operated "Wish House," they brainwashed the children and raised a "conjurer" to achieve the goal of resurrecting the god (= Holy Mother) through this "conjurer."

The Sect of Valtiel, centered around Jimmy Stone, a priest with an alias "Red Devil," was a faction that worshipped Valtiel as the one close to god and also an executioner.
The Sect of Valtiel was also responsible for the intermediation of the Sect of the Holy Woman and the Sect of the Holy Mother, which were in opposition to each other.

---
Red Diary : August 25th

Aaahh
Why is it that you have not become aware my pain?
Eileen
Eileen
Eileen
Please become aware
Eileen
I've barely tore it down this far
Eileen
Even so. You put on your pretty face and
you're always hogging the television, aren't you?
You're always putting on makeup, aren't you?
You're always talking to someone on the phone, aren't you?
Eileen
Eileen
Even you can't keep that pretty face forever
So. Eileen
Eileen
Become aware. Eileen
Become aware. Eileen
Turn. Towards me. Aireen
Me.. Airin
M.m.e.e Me Airi
M.m.m.m.m.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Brilliant, BM.

"The Sect of the Holy Woman, a faction centered around Priestess Dahlia Gillespie, believed in the resurrection of the god by impregnating a woman, who has concealed special powers, with the child god within her womb. "

Does.....does that mean Alessa was God?

Dear Lord, was Ulver actually right? O.o
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Drewfus wrote:Dear Lord, was Ulver actually right? O.o
No, Alessa was a (young) woman with concealed special powers.
Droo

Post by Droo »

It never says "young". It could, in theory, be referring to either Dahlia or Alessa.

The God in Alessa wasn't in her womb, because she was able to vomit it up. It's biologically impossible to throw up a fetus from your womb.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Drewfus wrote:It never says "young". It could, in theory, be referring to either Dahlia or Alessa.

The God in Alessa wasn't in her womb, because she was able to vomit it up. It's biologically impossible to throw up a fetus from your womb.
It should be referring to Alessa, actually. The "Holy Woman sect" is a translation from the Japanese phrase "seijo-ha." The one time that someone is referred to as a "seijo" is Heather in SH3, when you find the photo of her just before you meet Vincent in the mental clinic. Jeremy Blaustein translated "seijo" into "Holy One." Of course, with an ambiguous term such as "Holy One," you couldn't tell if it's male or female, unlike "seijo" which has to be female because of the Kanji used for "jo." I just put "young" in there because Alessa was a young girl, and we were talking about whether she was a god or not. It would be awkward to call a young girl, a woman, in my opinion.

You are correct about Heather vomitting the fetus and that it would biologically impossible if it were in her womb. This is just what the followers believed. A womb would have a holy meaning, where as a stomach... not so much. Dahlia did say, "Here in lies the mother's womb. The power to create life."
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Moved.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Æ
Location: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"

Post by Æ »

Cool. Remebering reading this a while ago. Thank you for reviving this.
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/705/cpiadebarrierdetail1oq0.jpg[/img]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Oooh, thank you for this.

Just a few teeny tiny things..
believed in the resurrection of the god by impregnating a woman, who has concealed special powers, with the child god within her womb.
This kind of goes to what Drewfus and you were discussing earlier.. and it may be me beating a dead horse, so I'm sorry if that's the case, but when I read the sentence it certainly cleared up a lot about the Alessa Mother of God, Daughter of God scenario that confused the hell out of me. The only lingering confusion I have is where "Daughter" of God comes in - does this refer to Heather/Cheryl's situation? (a little off topic, I know, but the beliefs of the Holy Woman sect kinda tie into it..) And also, the use of the term woman. Does it mean a fully grown, adult woman, or is it not as technical as that? I think that might be where the confusion in the earlier posts came from.

And as for the biological impossibility.. could it be, game canon-wise, possible that the God wasn't technically in Alessa or Heather's uteruses, but instead inside of their entire bodies? It's hard to explain but with the weird, moving and shifting loading screens made me think that it had something to do with the child-God growing inside of Heather. So while it's only an idea it does help explain why Heather can puke it up.. Saying that the God is inside a womb helps it seem more holy and whatnot.

Okay but I'm done with babbling about the bits that weren't on track.

The entry for June 17th is interesting.. is it implying that Joseph was being possessed, or is he going insane? His last entry is also weird.. I don't think he's going crazy, really, but the dreams, the occult babble and the interest in Eileen (that's a bit weak, though, because Joseph could have a mild interest in her) kind of made me believe that some kind of possession was going on, thus causing the headaches and nightmares.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Spudrush
Just Passing Through

Post by Spudrush »

hey thats pretty cool.

thats all.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Krist. wrote:
believed in the resurrection of the god by impregnating a woman, who has concealed special powers, with the child god within her womb.
This kind of goes to what Drewfus and you were discussing earlier.. and it may be me beating a dead horse, so I'm sorry if that's the case, but when I read the sentence it certainly cleared up a lot about the Alessa Mother of God, Daughter of God scenario that confused the hell out of me. The only lingering confusion I have is where "Daughter" of God comes in - does this refer to Heather/Cheryl's situation? (a little off topic, I know, but the beliefs of the Holy Woman sect kinda tie into it..)
Yes, the daughter of God refers to Heather's situation. However, I believe the "daughter of God" thing is only an addition. More specifically, I think it was Claudia who had a hand in adding the idea to the cult's original beliefs. I don't think the original Sect of Holy Woman thought there would ever be a "daughter of God" since once God was born, there really wouldn't be a need for another vessel. However, when the events of Silent Hill took place and Alessa basically "ran away," the cult would have had to find a way to cover it up. Who would want a Mother of God, who was unwilling to give birth to the very thing that the followers so worshipped? My belief is that this is where the whole thing about God's breathing her last and promising to come back at another time came about.
And also, the use of the term woman. Does it mean a fully grown, adult woman, or is it not as technical as that? I think that might be where the confusion in the earlier posts came from.
It's a little less generic than 'female.' Basically, I think there's an implication that the female is mature enough to give birth to a god. I used the term 'woman' because it was more 'holy'-sounding, but plain old 'female' would have been suffice. There were many more girls who were abducted for the purpose of giving birth to a god before Dahlia finally chose Alessa. The residents of Silent Hill, as superstitious as they were, believed that the girls had been "spirited away."
The entry for June 17th is interesting.. is it implying that Joseph was being possessed, or is he going insane? His last entry is also weird.. I don't think he's going crazy, really, but the dreams, the occult babble and the interest in Eileen (that's a bit weak, though, because Joseph could have a mild interest in her) kind of made me believe that some kind of possession was going on, thus causing the headaches and nightmares.
I think it means Walter is slowly taking over Joseph on June 17th entry and he's losing it on the August entry. I don't think Joseph is really showing interest in Eileen, but rather full of despair in that he knows that Eileen will fall victim and she's oblivious to it all. And the worst is Joseph knows he can't do anything about it yet she's within arms' reach. I think the entry was created to show Joseph's despair.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Makes sense. Was Joseph's "death theme" Despair? .. Or something equally morose? Either way, thank you for answering my questions and post. :)!
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Oooh, fascinating and enlightening stuff....thanks Burning Man.
The entry dates make me wonder - was Schreiber actually locked in that apartment for a period of months?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Was Joseph's "death theme" Despair?
Yep.

>was Schreiber actually locked in that apartment for a period of months?
Sometime after June 17th is when he was locked in, after his visit to the graveyard behind Wish House, I believe.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SHF

Re: Another Red Diary (complete)

Post by SHF »

Actually, according to his entries, it appears he became locked in Room 302 from
August 2nd, and onward until his last letter, found in the laundry room of Room 302.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

Bloody hell, a five year bump! :o
MayOrNotMay
Just Passing Through

Post by MayOrNotMay »

Violent Corpse wrote:Bloody hell, a five year bump! :o
Another 5 year bump xD
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

MayOrNotMay wrote:
Violent Corpse wrote:Bloody hell, a five year bump! :o
Another 5 year bump xD
Excellent job team! See you all in 2021.