TwinPerfect review

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

TwinPerfect review

Post by jdnation »

It's been awhile, but they finally got around to doing it, for those interested...

AuraTwilight

Re: TwinPerfect review

Post by AuraTwilight »

Holy shit why is this over 2 hours long?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Even cutting out the joke segments, it's still lengthy but overall it is very thorough. And oh boy, they do have a point towards the end about what Tomm did to the canon through this game.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Can you give me a cliffnotes? Because I'm not watching this garbage.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

I can give you one part, Aura-

"Yes, our opinions and reviews are so important to Tomm that he did us the honor of writing us into the game and then pointing it out to us on multiple occasions to saw that he did. Unfortunately for those people that find our reviews less than enjoyable, that means that we, Twin Perfect, are a part of the Silent Hill canon. Twin Perfect is canon, so now you have to listen to us."
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Well they were just being sarcastic with the above...

But more troublesome is they point out that the notes found in Book of Memories basically indicate that all the events of SH 0rigins-1-2-3-4-Homecoming-Downpour occur because principle characters in those games used the Book of Memories to set things in motion.

If Book of Memories is considered canon, then Konami and Tomm basically retconned the entire series in order to justify Book of Memories inclusion.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

jdnation wrote:Well they were just being sarcastic with the above...
I clicked towards the end of the second video to see what it was you had mentioned about their salient points, and that segment was what I landed on. It was such a "...what did I expect?" kind of moment, I felt I should share.

jdnation wrote:But more troublesome is they point out that the notes found in Book of Memories basically indicate that all the events of SH 0rigins-1-2-3-4-Homecoming-Downpour occur because principle characters in those games used the Book of Memories to set things in motion.

If Book of Memories is considered canon, then Konami and Tomm basically retconned the entire series in order to justify Book of Memories inclusion.
Yikes, that sounds like a strange move to pull. That comes off as more of an attempt to legitimize a game that visibly and mechanically was so removed from what had come before it and make it appeal to the fanbase. However, that doesn't really make me want to engage with it more. In fact, that kind of comes across as just a lazy and desperate way to write something.

Hopefully, people can be mature enough to just let something be a thing and not let it ruin the things they already like...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

jdnation wrote:Well they were just being sarcastic with the above...

But more troublesome is they point out that the notes found in Book of Memories basically indicate that all the events of SH 0rigins-1-2-3-4-Homecoming-Downpour occur because principle characters in those games used the Book of Memories to set things in motion.

Having played the whole game from start to finish, I have no idea what notes they're talking about. Do they provide a textual quote?

Because TwinPerfect have lied about the content of SH games before. Embarassingly so.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

AuraTwilight wrote:Having played the whole game from start to finish, I have no idea what notes they're talking about. Do they provide a textual quote?

Because TwinPerfect have lied about the content of SH games before. Embarassingly so.
Yes, they provide the screenshots. Many of these bonus notes seem to require you to do various things to acquire them, so they're not the sort you find simply on one playthrough as Book of Memories encourages multiple playthroughs to get new things particularly to fill up the various sections like the bestiary, notes, etc.

I can't watch the video right now so I can't give you the time stamp but it's in the second half of the second video where they critique the story.

And it also seems that yes, their sarcastic quip aside about us having to consider TwinPerfect canon is that one of the notes seems like a sly dig at TwinPerfect by Tomm Huelett. Something about a pair of Twins that enter the community that appear spotless but are actually there to deceive...
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

I deal with an amazing number of obnoxious and annoying people through my profession. I'll say however none have quite annoyed me as much as the original twinperfect. I couldn't stand them. Didn't care for their analyses and they were quite simply wrong about basically everything. I hate they get the attention that they do.

I also don't consider a handheld hack and slash game to be canon in the main series. Just doesn't fit.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

They never personally bothered me (though I've never had any interaction with them outside of just viewing their videos).

I'd always just seen the obnoxiousness as part of the schtick, same as Angry Video Game Nerd, or Zero Punctuation or the Jimquisition.

Even in this video they go to lengths often to point out when they're not being serious.

In any case, this review was fair and they even have praise for some interesting aspects even as they tear it a new one, and the points they bring up, even if arguable, are worth discussing.

As for the whole canon issue. It wouldn't ruin the classic games for me in any way. But I've noticed this song and dance from Konami over anything related to Metal Gear or Silent Hill. The initial marketing always makes what are unconventional spin-offs seem 'canon', then after the fact they just dismiss it and the cycle begins again.

I have no problem with trying new things or non-canon spin-offs. I thought Shattered Memories was great, but felt the developers didn't need to spin words to make everything sound 'canon' as if that'd increase sales. They think we're stupid or something.

It's a shame Book of Memories didn't turn out. An isometric view could've been an interesting perspective if designed differently. Just look at a game like Yomawari. Also made for the Vita, and I'd bet you on a much much smaller budget! Yet it is more like a atmospheric Silent Hill game than the actual thing.

See more here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwekh3_WmE4
blackglass657
Just Passing Through

Post by blackglass657 »

Twin perfect. When I watch they videos, I got the feel that the whole SH Series was made by americans and not TS.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Well, the Silent Hill series does take its inspiration from Western horror.

As well I believe that Konami was trying to capitalize on the popularity of Resident Evil, and thus both those franchises were aimed at Western markets.