Is Downpour scary?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Markys Gamertag
Just Passing Through

Re: Is Downpour scary?

Post by Markys Gamertag »

I felt uneasy in certain areas but I was not scared. I guess the jump scares really do not add much to the fear factor, plus the enemies in general did not really contribute either. Since they were like hobos like the prisons with their tatty hair and beards and the screamers with their tatty clothes. The others were okay but really in general not scary just creepy at times.
Silent Hill is foggy, I mean really foggy. So foggy that its like REALLY foggy. I don`t know if anyone noticed. :D

My Silent Hill Fan Film is in the works. (Project Silent is the placeholder name until an official name is agreed upon in future.)
Talolili
Just Passing Through

Post by Talolili »

It wasn't that scary to me. Most of the enemies made me laugh.
There was one side mission that was very creepy.
"What the hell?" Henry Townsend
omahapunk
Just Passing Through

Post by omahapunk »

i wasn't scared or creeped out at any point during this game. the enemies ruined the immersion for me. that, and i don't feel that silent hill should be an over-the-shoulder kind of game. what made the earlier games creepy was the maniupulation of the camera and limiting what the player can see
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

The first half scared me quite a lot (still not as much as my first SH4:TR playthrough, though!!) but the second half begins to lack in scares somewhat. I haven't completed it fully yet, though, I'm currently in the prison toward the end.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

The instant I realized the monsters are complete jobbers I stopped being scared and pretty much massacred every screamer that got in my way.

Just sayin'.
Your weaboo is showing
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Falconv1.0 wrote:The instant I realized the monsters are complete jobbers I stopped being scared and pretty much massacred every screamer that got in my way.

Just sayin'.
This pretty much...i thought the game was more disturbing when the monsters wasn't on the scene...the atmosphere i thought was great, but it dropped the minute the screamers and prisoners came on the set.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

It's too bad about the enemy design, because it seems like the game had so much potential to be scary otherwise.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I felt the way the levels were designed that at best they would be incredibly annoying, not scary. Especially outdoors. Not knowing where to run to when 3 prisoner minions show up is not scary, it's goddamn frustrating, especially when you're trying to do a sidequest and shitbird Murphy's only way of marking things down is a question mark. What's great is how he doesn't write off which alleys are and aren't open so it's hard to tell if you can get around a blocked street to get to a sidequest area.

>:[
Your weaboo is showing
DrBjerkov
Just Passing Through

Post by DrBjerkov »

This game has it's own, unique way of scaring players. Note that i said unique, not bad. The enemies you often find yourself swarmed by will occasionally just watch you, just out of harms reach. Sometimes they'll even downright actively try to avoid you. This adds to the suspense of never knowing if your monster is going to attack you, or stalk you in a creely manner. Even the screamer, who is known for her ranged attack, will not attack you in these instances. No matter what you do to these "onlookers", as i call them, they will not attack you. I can never figure out why, but i know one thing: if you have a chance to exploit this weakness while its raining, DO IT. As long as onllokers are still alive, it increases the chance that more monsters will be onlookers, instead of aggresors.
Let's blow some heads... off...
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

Post by eddieatemypizza »

no its not..not in the slightest..

your enemies:

1. girl zombies
2. boy zombies
3. big boy zombies
4. and giant ahhh...things...(cave monsters)

basically all the same generic monster..

the invisible mannequin monsters would have made more sense in silent hill 2..none of these monsters really fit into this game or tied into murph in anyway and are very poorly done.

plus if your about die, just stand still for a few minutes and your health regenerates some. no reason to be afraid..

actually I take it all back..this game is really scary...when it comes to lag, glitching, and combat..what a mess.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

eddieatemypizza wrote: the invisible mannequin monsters would have made more sense in silent hill 2..none of these monsters really fit into this game or tied into murph in anyway and are very poorly done.
The dolls were connected to Murphy. Out of all the monsters in the game, I think they make the most obvious sense (focusing attention in the wrong places). The other ones definitely had links to Murphy, however you have to remember that this is shown to
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
not just be Murphy's SH, there is overlap and therefore possible overlap of meaning with monsters, making them a little more ambiguous

I agree some of the monster designs could have been creepier though.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I actually thought the Prisioner Minions (Stabber variety) were horrifying. The Juggernauts were goofy though.

The Weeping Bats, Wall Monsters & Dolls were all very interesting, but not necessarily scary. There are a few moments of exception however. The Dolls behind the glass in the Centennial Building as well as their creepy mischief.
The Wall Monsters are disturbing on principle.
And the *idea* of The Weeping Bats is horrifying, but their execution in-game is poor.

The Screamers, I truly feel are terrifying. They strike a subconscious nerve in me. I had two nightmares featuring Screamers prior to DP's release.

The Bogeyman? I'm mostly all for him. I've grown to like his hulking, dark design. His heavy breathing & meticulous, murderous moves coupled with his monsterous size & that big frickin' hammer... he's scary. Execution in DP overall? Far less than stellar. But I really dig him. Black lens' over his eyes... infinitely dark. He lumbers towards you... & he's unstoppable.

The Wheelman? Love Him
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

The Bogeyman is worth it, purely for that insanely awesome bit with him toward the end.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I think it's a scary game, mostly because of how creepy some side quests are.
DawnBraz
Just Passing Through

Post by DawnBraz »

I didn't find any of the monsters scary. I thought the Dolls had a really cool design, and like the way you have to kill them. But, I found most of the monsters kind of silly.
Leo Ho Tep wrote:I think it's a scary game, mostly because of how creepy some side quests are.
I agree, some of the side quests are really creepy.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Especially the one in movie theater and the one were you turn back time with the record player.
But, overall, I don't think the game is that scary.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Well, I'm FINALLY playing Downpour and I have liked it so much... It has a good atmosphere and it has scared me a couple of times; sometimes they build tension that keep you alert waiting for an attack but it never happens, other times you are just doing your stuff and an enemy just appear of nowhere and catches you off guard...

I especially like how it takes a bit of every previous Silent Hill Title and gives it a personal touch; the exploration and sidequests from 1, the misterious argument from 2, an original and different otherworld like 3, accesible locations with independent stories like 4, picking breakable weapons on the run and beating creaturs with your fists like 0rigins, timed fighting and choice options scenes from Homecoming and almost empty building exploration and frantic chase sequences from Shattered Memories (Including the useless but cool feature of looking behind you)...

I don't like the buton mapping at all but it is not a big deal, I just reached the prison (This is my first playtrhough) so I assume this is the final level... I really like Murphy, he seems to be a nice guy and I especially love his reactions to different things, his voice changes, screams and facial expressions when he is scared make me feel inside the game... I also like the fact that you can turn off the action icons (Although it made me die a couple of times in the Boogeyman battle by the lake)

The game atmosphere is great, I especially like when it is raining and those weird thunders appear; the creature design is the worst in the series but they scare me anyway because they usually kick my ass (I suck at combat). The otherworld is awesome although it doesn't have too many little details to check out like the original 4 games, anyway, the pulsating walls, the clock gears, the train ride,the cage ride and the Hansel and Gretel play are pretty cool... The UV flashlight is a good addition although I feel it totally ripped off from the Buffy Chaos Bleeds game (That level with Xander at Sunnydale High) and I love/hate the fact that you don't have a map when you are in the otherworld...

I think the sidequests are the real heart of the game, I have liked the story of Murphy as far but the best sequences have been in the optional buildings, I really liked to enter that window and find that ROOM and was terrified in that dark basement with the milk carton... I also was scared as shit at the gramophone apartment...

I left LOTS of sidequest unfinished so I'll focus in them in my next playthrough, I need to find time for playing the final level and I hope the end won't dissapoint me... I honestly can say that Downpour is the best Silent Hill of the outsourced games...
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

I finally played it a few weeks ago. It turned out to be a lot better than I expected.

I can count the places that genuinely creeped me out on the fingers of one hand, but then it' s hard to creep me out. SH 1 to 4 creeped me more, however none of the more recent games trully did. I just thought they had their moments on a purely aesthetical level.

The story was ... idk. They made a few mutually exclusive storylines and let us deal with the mess. Not a first in the series I guess, but for some reason this time it annoyed me. Felt like confusion for the sake of confusion. It' s a pity, I think they could have delved much deeper into Murphy' s moral dilemmas had they sticked their guns to a single timeline.

Overall I liked it, even though it' s crippled with baffling glitches, a poor monster design, a few retarded weapon/item mechanics and a dreadfull button mapping. Somehow that laundry list of wasted opportunities didn' t ruin it for me.
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

I managed to play it (sort of) in a group setting in college. Normally, I like to play Silent Hill games for the first time alone in the dark, but I made my friend who is normally petrified by horror (a little alcohol was imbibed after a point) play it for the first time.

I can't say I was particularly scared, but she threw my controller a few times out of fear and got us a noise complaint from screaming in terror. I think the scariness of this game can sort of depend on how susceptible you are to horror.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

I only beat it once (I got two endings because I reloaded the last save but I don't think that it counts as a second run, right?) and it was God knows how long ago but I don't remember it being scary at all.

Sure, it had some tense moments, but not scary, creepy shit. Most of the tense moments were due to the gameplay. For example, the prison at the end.

There was a room full of those demon inmates and, at the time, I didn't had any good weapon to fight against them, and was dying, so I had to get the fuck out ASAP. Fun times...
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

The only place I found creepy really was Monastery level. It wasn't scary but it was definitely eerie to me.

Most of the other parts were a "this is kinda cool" kind of creepy. It didn't get under my skin so much as it was kinda 'neat' hah.