Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Post by Nisto »

Avith wrote:Maybe he knows about the footsteps if they really exist.
After weeding out all re-used samples (hash-compared), the main sound effect samples (not counting the S-FORCE samples) add up to 372 samples. Among those, I only spotted around 30 foot step sounds. I know some foot steps are actually sequenced to alter the sounds a bit (or even to loop the foot steps in a fixed pattern), but that doesn't really change anything if you ask me.
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

In the Sound Ideas "Foley Footsteps" library, each track is one "style" of footstep (footsteps on a particular surface, such as carpet, wood, metal grating) with variations (light/hard steps, running, turning around, etc.). I imagine that Yamaoka would have just grabbed a couple samples from a track to match a particular scenario (character walking on carpet, or whatever), and then just reused them throughout the game. I wouldn't think that he would need more than a handful of samples for every scenario with some variations. "Hundreds" sounds a bit excessive! lol
nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Yeah, in reality, there's a lot of lies in the Making Of video. I mean, they say that he created the foot steps, but I bet you my right leg that they're all taken from libraries. Although, to be fair, it might have been Yamaoka telling the Making Of producers that, so it's not necessarily the producers lying to us, but Yamaoka, rather. But I can see why he would. They don't credit the libraries anywhere (which is required by most library licenses), and my guess is that it's because Konami provided the libraries "under the radar" so to speak. Or just simply because he, as a private person, is not actually allowed to use them in that context/environment by licensing policies.
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

Not sure if this was found, didn't see it mentioned

Silent Hill 4
Track: Silent Circus
Sample Library: Things that go bump in the night
Sample Name: AIRNOTE
Time of Sample: 0:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qcbseac74Y
If it isn't unhealthy, is it worth it?
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on compiling a complete list of Silent Hill samples documented through-out the thread. Today I finally made it to the last page!!!

Now I'm working on verifying everything, and cleaning stuff up. I hope you can help me in this endeavor. I'll publish the list later, in a likely still-somewhat-draft-like condition, and I hope we can all collaborate on it in the future somehow. First off:

Does anyone have the CDDA release of Twisted Textures? Because I just realized the AIFF release is incomplete. It has 371 samples, whereas the AKAI release has 410 samples, and is specifically missing the Massive Attack sample ("Massive Track") which was used in Queen of the Rodeo. I am positive I'm not missing anything; the product page on Beatport confirms the count. The thing is, some of the Twisted Textures samples posted here in the older days appears to come from a CDDA release, as the names have track numbers and multiple samples per track. So if you can help me find this release, I'd appreciate it!
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

Nisto wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on compiling a complete list of Silent Hill samples documented through-out the thread. Today I finally made it to the last page!!!

Now I'm working on verifying everything, and cleaning stuff up. I hope you can help me in this endeavor. I'll publish the list later, in a likely still-somewhat-draft-like condition, and I hope we can all collaborate on it in the future somehow. First off:

Does anyone have the CDDA release of Twisted Textures? Because I just realized the AIFF release is incomplete. It has 371 samples, whereas the AKAI release has 410 samples, and is specifically missing the Massive Attack sample ("Massive Track") which was used in Queen of the Rodeo. I am positive I'm not missing anything; the product page on Beatport confirms the count. The thing is, some of the Twisted Textures samples posted here in the older days appears to come from a CDDA release, as the names have track numbers and multiple samples per track. So if you can help me find this release, I'd appreciate it!
Wow nice! It will be interesting to see finally a document about all this research we have made in 10 years :shock: :D

About the CDDA library, I just have the AKAI version (which I converted into Soundfount 2), although when I right click in my Twisted Textures folder it says "460 files, 76 folders".
Is curious you mentioned that sample (Massive Track )since I talked about it a week ago in another forum, but then I realized that I also have that sample, or at least the pad but not the piano sound, in my library is the very first sample and its named "BRTHNGCITY".
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

I also noticed a difference between the old Eastwest version of Twisted Textures compared to the newer Beatport release.

There's a physical Audio CD copy on eBay right now. Seller is including the AKAI version as a bonus. But it's $57. Too rich for me!

eBay Link
nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

VIVIsect wrote:I also noticed a difference between the old Eastwest version of Twisted Textures compared to the newer Beatport release.

There's a physical Audio CD copy on eBay right now. Seller is including the AKAI version as a bonus. But it's $57. Too rich for me!

eBay Link
Are you sure it's the CDDA version? I don't see it specified anywhere. The "Compact Disc" logo in the pictures is also too small for me to tell if it says "Digital Audio".

EDIT: Never mind, saw the catalog number and confirmed it through this article.

Halfsies anyone? I don't live in the US so shipping would be quite expensive...
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

Nisto wrote: Halfsies anyone? I don't live in the US so shipping would be quite expensive...
I would seriously consider it if I weren't so ridiculously broke right now. I'll add the auction to my "watch" list to see if the price drops any. The time on that action is about to run out, but I imagine that it'll be relisted.
nobody is anybody
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Ive been eyeing that CD for a while. I may get it but I though a audio version was already "out".

Never mind. Went ahead and bought it now that everyone was curious about it.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Cheers peronmls!

Also, does anyone recognize this? I'm quite confident I've heard it in a Silent Hill game, but I can't place it at the moment.
https://instaud.io/2lEJ
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

If anything, I’d think it was from SH2. Sounds familiar.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Hey guys, I finally tracked down a demo of the real Ambient Atmospheres library - on Big Fish Audio's official site, even. They had this demo up between 2003 - 2008 with this same file name, but the MP3 file was never archived by Wayback Machine. However, I just tried changing the name on an active demo link, and it seems this is really it - it even has "Infinite Sound - Ambient Atmospheres" in the tags.

http://demo3.bigfishaudio.net/demo/ifs01.mp3

I think the sample at 0:38 is in A Stray Child (0:22). Or has that already been found somewhere else maybe?

EDIT: Never mind, that sample in A Stray Child is from Ghost in the Machine.
DarkWolf
Just Passing Through

Post by DarkWolf »

Anyone know if the drums in this track are Akira actually playing them live or just a loop? Either way I love the drums, so smooth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5HAbkJZtJk
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

DarkWolf wrote:Anyone know if the drums in this track are Akira actually playing them live or just a loop? Either way I love the drums, so smooth...

Very probably a loop. The only drums played "live" (or at least being sequenced hit by hit) are the main rock themes AFAIK.
Resurrection
Just Passing Through

Post by Resurrection »

THERE ARE 3 CDS OF TWISTED TEXTURES?

[Link removed - links to warez site]
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

DarkWolf wrote:Anyone know if the drums in this track are Akira actually playing them live or just a loop? Either way I love the drums, so smooth...

Yeah, it's almost certainly a loop from somewhere. I love those types of breaks, too. Check out the "Laid Back Breaks" drum libraries from Shroom. Really similar vibe.

nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Resurrection wrote:THERE ARE 3 CDS OF TWISTED TEXTURES?

http://pro-zvuki.narod.ru/akai.html
Only of the AKAI version. The audio (CDDA) version is only two discs, where most of the tracks contain multiple samples.
DarkWolf
Just Passing Through

Post by DarkWolf »

Thank you for your help!
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but in the background of Battle Drums, roughly around 0:24, the loading screen music from the mine from Postal 1 can be heard. Can anyone identify this sample?
If it isn't unhealthy, is it worth it?