Glass Breaking Noise?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Haunting Hero
Just Passing Through

Glass Breaking Noise?

Post by Haunting Hero »

So I was playing Silent Hill 2 today, I was just exploring and messing around as I already have all of the endings. After the boss fight in the hospital, I was searching the first floor for anything useful like bullets, health etc. I got to room C2, killed the nurse monster with a shotgun and picked up the health kit on the bed. As I was leaving I heard glass breaking or like the sound of a lightbulb shattering.

I thought since I was playing HD edition that it might be a bug, so I reloaded my save after the boss and did exactly what I did before. I got the same glass breaking sound. I've played the game and original for years, has anyone noticed this too?
◇Some people feel the rain, others just get wet◇
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Glass Breaking Noise?

Post by Tabris »

It's been a bit for me, but if I'm remembering correctly, this is totally normal.

I think it's a call back (though I'm just assuming) to Silent Hill 1 in Nowhere where there's that one room with nothing in it but you keep hearing glass smashing.
Haunting Hero
Just Passing Through

Post by Haunting Hero »

Tabris wrote:It's been a bit for me, but if I'm remembering correctly, this is totally normal.

I think it's a call back (though I'm just assuming) to Silent Hill 1 in Nowhere where there's that one room with nothing in it but you keep hearing glass smashing.
Hmm interesting, I haven't played the first one through yet. That glass part did spook me as I have played Silent Hill 2 for so long and had no idea about that until yesterday haha.
Pastucci
Just Passing Through

Post by Pastucci »

My theory is this:

In the hallway before the Boss fight, there is dialogue of James visiting Mary in the hospital, he had brought her some flowers and she isn't very happy about it.

" Flowers?! I don't want any damn flowers! Look at me, I look like a monster"... ( I'm paraphrasing)

So the glass breaking could be the vase that the flowers were in, symbolizing Mary's suffering and frustration, as well as James' pain of rejection.
Heaven's Night
<3
Haunting Hero
Just Passing Through

Post by Haunting Hero »

Pastucci wrote:My theory is this:

In the hallway before the Boss fight, there is dialogue of James visiting Mary in the hospital, he had brought her some flowers and she isn't very happy about it.

" Flowers?! I don't want any damn flowers! Look at me, I look like a monster"... ( I'm paraphrasing)

So the glass breaking could be the vase that the flowers were in, symbolizing Mary's suffering and frustration, as well as James' pain of rejection.

That's really interesting, makes sense since it was in the hospital. I am not too for sure why they did add the glass breaking, maybe a homage, a jumpscare for those not paying attention, or could be more to the story. I am not too for sure, but that's a pretty cool theory.
Pastucci
Just Passing Through

Post by Pastucci »

I was implying that Mary threw the vase of flowers out of anger and self disgust.

That's why you hear glass shattering
Heaven's Night
<3
Midori-chan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Midori-chan »

I'm used to hearing weird noises that make no sense in these games. I just shrug and move on although I'm planning to play my HD Collection again soon so I'll pay more attention to it this time around just to make sure.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/profile/Midori-tan/]Profile[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Midori-tan]My Anime List[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Midori-tan]My Manga List[/url]