Chrisophe Gans Announces New Silent Hill Movie

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Re: Chrisophe Gans Announces New Silent Hill Movie

Post by jdnation »

KageReneko wrote:Anyway, I also wonder if they will base the Fatal Frame movie in Zero 1 or 2; again, the sequel is more popular but I always found the first game scarier
If precedent is anything to go by, they'll take their favorite elements from all the Fatal Frame games and combine them all into one movie.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I think he mentioned something about the 'haunted mansion' and staying true to the Japanese element of it. So it's sounding like the first game.

The second game would be so amazing though. If he doesn't do that one, I really hope the first does well enough to justify the second game.

The third one is my favorite though. So much love for that game.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I won't jump to conclusions yet, but an adaptation of SH2 as rumored would be incredibly exciting! If done well, that could be such a phenomenal movie!

And I'm okay with entrusting this to Gans. I felt like he did a number of important things well in the first Silent Hill movie, and I'd likely very much enjoy another movie from him. :)
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

It sounds like they're at best in the early stages of pre-production. I'd be interested in a new movie if one actually comes out!
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

What the hell. Really unexpected.

As a side note, it's awesome to catch on some of the old folks when things like this happens. 'Sup Kage, 'sup Tbone, 'sup Warfare, 'sup Tabris :cool:
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Mephisto wrote:What the hell. Really unexpected.

As a side note, it's awesome to catch on some of the old folks when things like this happens. 'Sup Kage, 'sup Tbone, 'sup Warfare, 'sup Tabris :cool:
Hah good to see you dude. Seems I'll stick with the SH forums til the better end hah.
WaffleMaker
Just Passing Through

Post by WaffleMaker »

Droo wrote:I think he nailed the visuals of the first film. Any screenplay failures I lay at the hands of Roger Avery.

If the rumours are true and this one is going to be an adaptation of SH2, let's hope they get a solid screenwriter on board. Combined with his visuals, it could be a real sleeper horror hit. I envision something artsy and brainy like Hereditary or The VVitch.
Ha that would be a dream come true. Witch was great, but Hereditary has surpassed The Shining imo.
“Procrastination is an invitation to death.” Rheaunalt Lensenbrink
Droo

Post by Droo »

I wonder what's going on with this. Since Gans made the off-handed reference to it we haven't heard a thing?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I mean from the way I read his statement it sounded like he was just working on the script. I don't think a studio even picked it up or anything so if it does happen I imagine it's at least a few years out.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

If it was "greenlit" or whatever guarantees funding there should at least be some casting rumors.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

As I said, we're not at that point. Literally all that's happened is he's said "I'm working on a new Silent Hill", that doesn't mean anything to be honest. The amount of scripts or pitches for video game movies that didn't end up happening is insane. I wouldn't expect this movie to get made, just based on the odds.

But if it DOES get made, it's still far out. The script isn't finished. It wasn't been picked up by a studio. It hasn't been officially announced by anyone. It's early stages at the most.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Update: Gans is now saying it could be released as early as 2023.

https://www.ign.com/articles/silent-hill-new-movie-2023
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Good to hear it in the news. I notice Gans said it would not be a real sequel to his 2006 film. I really did want to see Sean Bean off in search of Rahda Mitchell :cry:
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think Silent Hill as an anthology is the way to go across all forms of media. The nature of the series doesn't require an overarching story to work.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Hmmm... sounds like he is going to do something original, which might not be an adaptation of any of the games...

Though I guess with the Government lockdowns etc... you could tie some contemporary commentary into an adaptation of The Room.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

I always thought the police speeding into Silent Hill at the end of the last film hinted at a Downpour based film. I would prefer that actually, since I didn't mind the story that much, and with a game that unrelated to the original canon you can do almost no wrong.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

It could be that Revelation was bad enough, that not even Gans wants to follow it up.

A reboot makes sense, but Gans likely doesn't want to repeat the same thing over.

If there are plans for a TV series, then that is probably the most likely place for sticking closer to the games sequentially.

I don't know if Gans has played any of the games past SH3.

Don't know much about current horror trends, but I wonder what Gans implies by a horror film that can only be made in 2023...

Does he mean current events? Technologically with virtual filmmaking and on set projection and real-time sets and creatures? Some kind of response to current horror movie trends or popular stuff like IT or Stranger Things and nostalgia? The direct to streaming model and business structure open to more creative freedom and experimental stuff? More openness to foreign made media from Europe and Asia?

------------

Update:

Gans recently said in an interview to a French outlet that:

- He is now making the Silent Hill movie before the Fatal Frame one.
- His desire to make another film coincided with Konami's plans to revive the Silent Hill franchise with several games.
- The film is now part of a greater multimedia coordinated strategy with Konami to revive Silent Hill.

https://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 05#p697005
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

*Bump*

On the new SH movie front, Gans is currently location-scouting...
https://www.reddit.com/r/silenthill/com ... _director/

They are looking to shoot in Serbia, and also Gans name dropped 'It Follows' and 'Midsommar' as recent films he is taking some inspiration from.

Serbia does have some nice isolated small towns that I imagine would be easier and cheaper to shoot in.
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/serbi ... in-serbia/

A bit of clever prop-work and you could make them look American.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Triple post BUMP again...

THE NEW MOVIE IS OFFICIALLY IN PRODUCTION!
Christophe Gans starts shooting RETURN TO SILENT HILL in February, completed late 2023, we have made plans….
https://twitter.com/alanfrightfest/stat ... 2777377792

Alan Jones is friends with Gans.
Throughout the 70s and 80s, Alan became a journalistic powerhouse, writing for Cinefantastique, Starburst, and two French magazines called Starfix and L’ecran Fantastique: “L’ecran Fantastique was important because it got me on the festival circuit very quickly like Paris and Avoriaz, which was very important at the time. Starfix was edited by Christophe Gans (Director of Brotherhood of the Wolf), which is how I met him.”
https://filmhounds.co.uk/2021/10/alan-j ... lm-critic/

No idea if 'Return to Silent Hill is the actual title or a working title. If it is the actual title, I think it is lame... but I'm still excited!
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I still have a hard time believing that movie is actually going to happen but I suppose once it starts actively filming there isn't much room for doubt.