Christopher De Silva

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Christopher De Silva

Post by Anonymous »

I don't think anyone has brought this up, but I'd like to point out how well done Sean Bean's character was. He actually cared about what happened to his wife and daughter and tried his best to find them, I also get the feeling that he isn't going to sit on this thumbs, and that he isn't done looking for his family. Another thing I liked is how Christopher was very down to earth and if Rose had listened to him, none of this would have happened.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah, I to liked Sean Beans character in the movie. I've always been a Bean fan, even though he tried to double-cross Frodo.
thelonebamf
Just Passing Through

Post by thelonebamf »

I agree, at first I was worried about his character and that side of the plot- because I thought the movie was going to take an "action thriller let's call the cops and have a car chase!" turn. But I really that his side of the story was handled well.

Random notes-

If they DID want to make a sequel (I doubt they will)- I imagine it might be tempting to turn him into a James like character--- but then we'd really need to doubt his emotions in this movie. (Unless of course- his wife is a phantom because he killed her-- blah blah- this is total junk I'm making up so don't listen to it). But if I was on the staff of the writers- it's something I'd at least bring up. It would be weird to mix 1 and 2 so much though.

do you suppose there's any significance to the names of the De Silvas? I'm probably reading too much into this- but Christopher is an obvious derivation of "Christ" and the "Rose of Sharon" is another name/symbol for Christ as well.

Wait a minute... "Rose of SHARON?" I just realized that. @.@
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/thelonebamf/sigthe.jpg[/img]
Yeah. Glasses are hot. :) I'm savin' up for a Princess Heart wand! ^^
Bettie Bloodshed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Bettie Bloodshed »

I thought Chris was well done well.

and I know a lot of people are saying this, but I do not see him becoming james in ANY way.

the plot line (guilt etc) just isnt there. There is no basis I dont think.
[i]We live like vampires...we love like killers...we all die like infants, and we trust like mirrors.[/i]
[img]http://i1.tinypic.com/1zqslko.jpg[/img]
[i]It's the pain and the sex disguised as innocence....slow suicide. Like it or not, its what we do.[/i]

Thanks Dish01 for my sig and avi.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Who says Chris has to become James, what if the second movie is Chris' story? I'd totally dig it. Also, people can feel responsible for things that are outside of their control. Chris might feel like he could have done more to find Rose and Sharon, infact, thats how he acts in the movie.
Silent_Hill_Tourist
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Hill_Tourist »

Yeah, he could easily have mega guilt over not being able to have saved Rose and Sharon.

I'd be cool with a sequel focussing on Chris. Aparently Gans wants the Lisa character to feature more in the sequel so we could have some cool interaction that's reminiscent of Harry/Lisa from the first game.

ok, slightly off-topic now:
Yeah, I to liked Sean Beans character in the movie. I've always been a Bean fan, even though he tried to double-cross Frodo.
Get over it dude. He was just doing what he thought was right in order to save his family and his country. Can't really hate him for that.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/justatouristoptimized.jpg[/img]
Stained Purgatorial Alter

Post by Stained Purgatorial Alter »

In a way, they used the second games story in the movie. Chris was looking for his wife in Silent Hill. That seems as close as the second game as we're gonna get. Gans said himself he wanted to use number 3 as the sequal.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sean Bean is the man, and was great as usual, 006 ftw
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Can't exactly use number 3 as the sequel - if he wished that, why didnt he let Rose and Alessa go home? You see THAT would have set up Silent Hill 3 - then at the start of the sequel you would have Rose or Christopher (or both!) dying at the hands of.. well see thats another problem, if he had wished to have a SH3 sequel why didnt he even give a frame to Alessa's childhood friend Claudia? There were flashbacks, why not one scene of them playing cards as indicated in the games?

For Silent Hill 3 becoming the sequel he would have:

1/ Added Claudia to a flashback just for a moment showing a little girl that was Alessa's friend.

2/ Allowed Rose and Alessa/Sharon to go home.

Sequel:

3/ Sharon finds herself entering Dark Silent Hill but way outside SH itself and desperately tries to get back home to find her parents murdered and Claudia taunting her to get the evil within her to come out (which is yet another plot problem - what evil inside? The movie abandoned the whole Samael theme and that was the central focus of SH3 - that Heather would birth the God!). And then Sharon would go to SH to end Claudia and seek revenge.

Basically it doesnt work out. If he continues the story it will have little in common with SH 3 because too many key elements of the SH1-SH3 arc no longer exist. There is no Samael within Sharon to prompt to enter the world. Not a single hint of it in the movie - just a symbol shown with no indication of its relevance or connection to the game (i.e. Mark of Samael).
StinkBomber
Gravedigger

Post by StinkBomber »

Uwe Boll version:

Chris and James go to Silent Hill to find thier wives after a fateful meeting at a bar! After a huge barfight and motorcycle chase being pursued by bikers, they crash into Toluca Lake and have to swim away from crocodiles with vaginas for mouths!

Then they see two stripper girls, Angela and Maria, and protect them from Pyramid Head who wants some saturday night fever!

INSTANT CLASSIC.
www.stinkbomber.deviantart.com
Godzilla
Historical Society Historian

Post by Godzilla »

Sean Bean was always good, but why did they pick him for this part. He just couldn't do the accent. Or why didn't they just let him keep his Sheffield accent? Is there really any reason he had to be American?
I kick [i]your[/i] ass.
Heaney
Just Passing Through

Post by Heaney »

Sean Bean is a great actor, nothing against him, but some of his scenes in the movie just straight out bored me.

Actaully only one, the one in which he breaks into the records building, other than that i liked the parts he was in.
BOOYAH!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I enjoy watching him as a actor, and i enjoyed the parts of the film which featured him. Even though his american accent was a lil 'hmmm'... in my opinion but i still enjoyed it.

Ok, first of all Sameal did not exist. Second of all they changed the storyline of number one, why not number 3? He can do anything he wants, he's the director.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

I love Sean Bean and thought he played the character well, but his accent was fucking awful.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sean Bean is a great actor, but his role was very detrimental to the movie. It added yet another character in an overcrowded movie that is supposed to have isolation as a central theme. Not only that but his scenes breakup the action in the otherworld right when its trying to become tense and scary.
Faded.Memories
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded.Memories »

Sean is an amazing actor, and though his accent was a little muddled [ sounded maybe like he was born in Ireland and came to America when he was young] I could have totally handled more of him in the movie.

My favourite part with Christopher is when he's walking through the school with Gucci one way, and in the alternate world Rose runs by him in the other direction, and he starts freaking out and saying, "I felt her! I could smell her perfume!"

That's TRUE love baby.

And somewhere in an interview I read [once again I have no link because I'm a doofus] Gans said that Christopher loved his wife more than he loved Sharon, and that's why Christopher was always saying, " I'm looking for my wife" and not "I'm looking for my wife and daughter." Gansa also said that, in this sense, Christopher was sort of like James Sunderland.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/sephorasagredo/faded.gif[/img]

[i] ...are my screams just a whisper? [/i]
Silent_Hill_Tourist
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Hill_Tourist »

I think that everyone considers his accent to be odd because he's done a lot of films and we're so used to his normal english accent.

He also does a pretty good irish.

I could have sworn he said he was looking for his wife AND daughter, but I've only seen the film once, so I can't be sure.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/justatouristoptimized.jpg[/img]

I just got back from my second viewing a few minutes ago and he says I'm looking for my wife the whole time. He only mentions his daughter like once.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

How about this? Remember the crazy part about a man who threw a little boy into the mineshaft at Silent Hill? Maybe it was Christopher, maybe Sharon is not his first child. Maybe he had a child before and the kid had the same problem of wanting to go to Silent Hill. Why did they adopt a kid anyway? Maybe he didn't want to have a kid of his own anymore after what he had gone through, and this would also explain why he just wants his wife back, he feels Sharon has the same problem as his previous kid, and he wants to get rid of this.

That could explain why they repeated twice the story of the boy in the mine, and why Chris cares more about his wife. And it also explains why is he so freaked out at the idea that she went to Silent Hill. It's as if he knew it would lead her to major trouble.

Oops, Silent Hill sequel spoilers?:p