Lisa (The Red Nuse) Discussions

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Gritty wrote:
y2mckay wrote:I think they should have either given Lisa a bigger part, or left her out. I love Lisa - one of my top 5 favorite SH characters. But the cameo didn't really do her justice, and only served to confuse the hell out of viewers who have no familiarity with the games. I suspect there was probably more of Lisa in the original footage, but it had to be cut for length. Hopefully in the DVD special features, we'll see more of her.

Why would it confuse viewers whove never played the game? I dont remember Lisa either, but I just saw a nurse that was the first victim to Alessa. Thats it.
well, the second question the two non-gamers who saw it with me asked (the first being "What was up with the dude with the big sword and metal bucket on his head? :D ), was "What was up with the nurse and her bloody face at the end?", at which point I filled them in on the Lisa character.

Maybe it wasn't confusing to everyone, but it did feel superfluous. Like I said, I'd rather have seen Lisa be a more prominent character, but oh well.
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

This movie will confuse almost everyone who didn't play the game, because it left stuff out and did a piss poor job of being coherent.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

y2mckay wrote:
Gritty wrote:
y2mckay wrote:I think they should have either given Lisa a bigger part, or left her out. I love Lisa - one of my top 5 favorite SH characters. But the cameo didn't really do her justice, and only served to confuse the hell out of viewers who have no familiarity with the games. I suspect there was probably more of Lisa in the original footage, but it had to be cut for length. Hopefully in the DVD special features, we'll see more of her.

Why would it confuse viewers whove never played the game? I dont remember Lisa either, but I just saw a nurse that was the first victim to Alessa. Thats it.
well, the second question the two non-gamers who saw it with me asked (the first being "What was up with the dude with the big sword and metal bucket on his head? :D ), was "What was up with the nurse and her bloody face at the end?", at which point I filled them in on the Lisa character.

Maybe it wasn't confusing to everyone, but it did feel superfluous. Like I said, I'd rather have seen Lisa be a more prominent character, but oh well.

Oh ok. I guess the people I was with just assumed PH was another monster, some things they just took as is, no questions.
Last edited by Anonymous on 26 Apr 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Pleasent_River
Just Passing Through

Post by Pleasent_River »

Smokey wrote:Further proof that he tried to hard to please fans instead of trying too hard to make a good movie. Plus this forum has made it completely clear that video game movies fail for that reason - in order to please the fans you have to make bad movies. Apparently most game fans aren't as good at judging films as they are games. I mean, anyone who schooled just a tiny bit on film knows that this movie, for all intents and purposes, is a complete disaster from start to finish...and it's because it broke the rules in the bad way, not in the "you don't understand his artistic vision" way.

I'm less angry but I am still just shocked at the fan reactions on this board. It's insane.
Ya know.... by saying something ike this, you're just asking for yet another fight to break out. Yes you are entitled to your own opinion, but to say you're surprised by the fan reactions? I'm not sure what you're really trying to say with that last comment, but I can be sure that its not positive at all.

Just don't come on here and question everyone's intelligence. Who are you to say "most game fans aren't as good at judging films as they are games"? Whatever, I'll leave it at that.
[img]http://www.freewebs.com/jdawg/fatr.jpg[/img]
"Fire doesn't cleanse, it blackens." Dahlia Gilespie
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

Pleasent_River wrote:
Smokey wrote:Further proof that he tried to hard to please fans instead of trying too hard to make a good movie. Plus this forum has made it completely clear that video game movies fail for that reason - in order to please the fans you have to make bad movies. Apparently most game fans aren't as good at judging films as they are games. I mean, anyone who schooled just a tiny bit on film knows that this movie, for all intents and purposes, is a complete disaster from start to finish...and it's because it broke the rules in the bad way, not in the "you don't understand his artistic vision" way.

I'm less angry but I am still just shocked at the fan reactions on this board. It's insane.
Ya know.... by saying something ike this, you're just asking for yet another fight to break out. Yes you are entitled to your own opinion, but to say you're surprised by the fan reactions? I'm not sure what you're really trying to say with that last comment, but I can be sure that its not positive at all.

Just don't come on here and question everyone's intelligence. Who are you to say "most game fans aren't as good at judging films as they are games"? Whatever, I'll leave it at that.
How can you guys preach "everyone has an opinion" and then ask me who I am to say anything about anything? I'm not saying it's stupid that you liked it, even I see what could be there to like on a base level. But there are basic, simple things that were done so brutally wrong with just the basic script alone. Avary has absolutely no sense of how people talk, act, and feel. This impersonal disconnect between him and his characters shows clearly. They are one dimensionaly completely underdevoloped vehicles from scene to scene and they are hard to care about.

So I wonder. I understand my language is a bit agressive...and that I'm on my way to a ban anyway...but I honestly doubt I can help that. Reason is - I was trying not to insult, but what I was saying was not at all positive, no. Sorry, but it's my opinion. Fire with fire, you know.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
Pleasent_River
Just Passing Through

Post by Pleasent_River »

Smokey wrote:
Pleasent_River wrote:

How can you guys preach "everyone has an opinion" and then ask me who I am to say anything about anything? I'm not saying it's stupid that you liked it, even I see what could be there to like on a base level. But there are basic, simple things that were done so brutally wrong with just the basic script alone. Avary has absolutely no sense of how people talk, act, and feel. This impersonal disconnect between him and his characters shows clearly. They are one dimensionaly completely underdevoloped vehicles from scene to scene and they are hard to care about.

So I wonder. I understand my language is a bit agressive...and that I'm on my way to a ban anyway...but I honestly doubt I can help that. Reason is - I was trying not to insult, but what I was saying was not at all positive, no. Sorry, but it's my opinion. Fire with fire, you know.
It's all good my friend. I was just put back by the comment you made about the gamers. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You stated yours clearly and concisely with the follow up comment.

Thanks man. 8)
[img]http://www.freewebs.com/jdawg/fatr.jpg[/img]
"Fire doesn't cleanse, it blackens." Dahlia Gilespie
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
As soon as I saw her I was like, "Oh! Lisa!" and I got that warm nostalgic feeling in my tummy. I knew something was going to be wrong with her face, obviously.

But:

If you follow the "true" ending of SH (game), then Lisa should be dead, right? In Good + she kills Kaufmann, and then the place like, burns down. So I'm assuming it's NOT Lisa, but it's like, "generic nurse woman." But then again, if you follow the games' storylines then the movie is absurd. -shrug- Well, the point here is that I doubt it's Lisa. If it was, wouldn't they have said something? Like Cybil, you know that it's CYBIL, and not just some cop.

But "Lisa's" face/eyes were pretty neat looking. It'd have been cool if she was just like, looking at Rose, and then her head started bleeding.. =)
edit by amphreded: use spoiler tag for game spoiler next time please[/i]
xmooglex
Just Passing Through

Post by xmooglex »

Lisa being in the movie bothered me, only because i, like most of you, played the game. In the game, Lisa really cared about Alessa, she argued with Kauffman all the time about how cruel it was keeping her alive. And, Alessa loved Lisa back. Even Heather remembers Lisa as a good person.
I know some of you think we shoudln't connect the movie to the game... But it's a silent hill movie. The fact that they destroyed the connection of Alessa and Lisa ticked me off
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Destroyed what connection? We have no idea what happens in between with "Lisa" and Alessa. Apparently "Lisa" is still taking care of Alessa but we dont know the specifics of their relationship.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I take the Silent Hill movie as its own seperate universe. Sure, it is still Silent Hill but just a different, altered story of "What if"s
sh#1fan
Historical Society Historian

Post by sh#1fan »

Gamebrain wrote:I take the Silent Hill movie as its own seperate universe. Sure, it is still Silent Hill but just a different, altered story of "What if"s
Yup~
Me too

I think lisa or the nurse or whatever... needed a biger rolde in the movie.
oO?
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

we respect your opinons. you don't like the movie, big fucking deal. it sucked for you, now get over it and yourself. the fact that most of the people here enjoyed the film doesn't make us incompetent.

anyhow, some folks are just making too big an issue out of "the nurse" (who is never identified in the film) and her role in it. Most or all fans of the game know it's Lisa, but just like Dahlia, Pyramid head and others, her character or role was changed for the film.
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

Gritty wrote:Destroyed what connection? We have no idea what happens in between with "Lisa" and Alessa. Apparently "Lisa" is still taking care of Alessa but we dont know the specifics of their relationship.
Um, I don't know... that big huge fucking connection?
Lisa was the only one there for Alessa, that's why Lisa remains with her as a memory; the only good memory of that terrible hospital room. Lisa is not "alive" per se, but she does serve a huge purpose to Alessa.

In the game, Lisa becomes the Virun VII crest to help Alessa destroy Silent Hill and take revenge.
In the movie, Lisa is the only one who feels Alessa's suffering and cares for her. Actually, it's almost the same, except for that part about Alessa hurting Lisa for being "curious."

Oh well, no point explaining when the noobs aren't going to understand / pay attention anyway.
by amphreded: spoiler tage for game discussions next time please
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Noob my ass. I dont compare the game to the movie, only fanatics do. U guys should be happy for Gans trying to put in so many cameos for u guys but now ur all bitching cause "Lisa" didnt have a big enough role. He put her there to please YOU SILENT HILL FANS, along with PH and whatever else u get wet over.

Give respect to get respect.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So, Lisa was bleeding out of the eyes, etc. RIGHT AFTER Alessa and many names fused together? I thought that as soon as that insanity ensued, that's when alessa controlled the dark realm, or what not, bringing death, pain, justice to the janitor, nurses, etc. phew...am I on track now>? This movie really is convolouted to us, simply because we over-analyze it. Sure, there IS lots to it, but I think we really look at a lot of things too much. IE: 3/4 different levels of hell/heaven.

I luvish this movie, though...I took my grandpa to the theatre. When the janitor scene came on, he turned to me : "Can we get the hell home?". lol
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

There is a character that I love named the Red Nurse, and she's in the film briefly, but I'd love to explore more of her character if we one day do the second movie--she's a really beautiful character, and you will see that she's great in the film.
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=660 ... Id=1002415

From what I gather, the director put her in as the Lisa, but never identified her as Lisa, instead only as the Red Nurse. Probably because it wouldnt make sense anyhow, no matter which way you try to fit it in, just being a nurse was good enough in that scene.
Meta4
Just Passing Through

Post by Meta4 »

TwilightPro101 wrote:Then it was just another a nod to the game world, which is far more than we ever got from Resident Evil 1 and 2.
Exactly, it's the little details that make the movie even better. Even though only the fans would know I'm glad he kept them in mind.
A fan who has found his way again.
Anglea_Orosco
Just Passing Through

Post by Anglea_Orosco »

SH1 spoiler
She was dying like Lisa the last we saw of her. And I think it is there to give game fans a giggle I know it did to me
by amphreded: spoiler tage for game discussions next time please
Love Replica
Just Passing Through

Post by Love Replica »

She was fine. (an wow she was hot) And she really stood out with that red clothe

She is one of those characters in the film where they just have to represent as a symbol. Not acting.

And I still need to figure what she meant
[i]"I want the meaning of my life, Do I try to Live? Do I try to Love?"[/i] - Art Of Life
ziratha
Just Passing Through

Post by ziratha »

I actually thought that (though it didn't explicitly say it) that she was kept hidden, perhaps only bandaged by a doctor or single nurse. Remember, alessa said she hurt someone who was "only curious". I suspect that dahlia and the policeman would have hidden her location within the hospital so the order couldn't find her. After all, if the order is so wacked as to burn her in the first place, what's to stop them from doing it again?