Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Oct 2017

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: SH4 & Being John Malkovich

Missing since: 22 Jan 2007
Notes left: 338
Last seen at: Kobe, Japan
This was mentioned jokingly in the "if there was a hole..." thread here, but I think of it as an actual possible perspective on the game.

Is the hole in Henry's room just Walter's Malkovich hole?

I mean, is Henry being transported into Walter's mind when he goes through the hole?

Post subject:

Now that you mention it, i am guessing that whenever you enter the hole you are being transported into walters mind the game gives a pretty good perspective of that when henry first finds the hole and enters it, then you crawl toward the white light. Either that or your being suck through walters umbilicol cord like so many other people have said. :roll: :P

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
No. He's being transported to a world Walter made. It explains the setting in the game, at the beginning.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Yeah, but didn't he create that world with his mind? So essentially, Henry is transported into Walter's mindscape.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Nov 2006
Notes left: 728
Last seen at: Oslo, Norway
I think that the world created by Walter Sullivan is more like a reflection and consecuence of his mind. I really never understood if he created it all with the help of his cult tachings or if he was chosen by Silent Hill, but no doubt that they played an influence.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Not really sure what he created it with - powers, mind? Either one works, really. But it has since expanded so that it's beyond the sole influence of his powers (or mind) so I don't know if I believe Henry's tunneling into that. It's a tangible reality you can touch, smell, and die in, so that, to me, kind of strays from the concept of it being entirely mental. BJM was literally going into someone's mind, living as they did or at least viewing things from their perspective, I think? That doesn't seem to be the case here, as Henry's still in charge of his own body.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Krist. wrote:
No. He's being transported to a world Walter made. It explains the setting in the game, at the beginning.
Yup, okay. I went back and had a look at that...
Quote:
Through the Ritual of the Holy Assumption, he built a world. It exists in a space separate from the world of our Lord. More accurately, it is within, yet without the Lord's world.
This point about it being simultaneously within and without the real world points to it being a spiritual world, or within someone's mind.
Quote:
Unlike the world of our Lord, it is a world in extreme flux. Unexpected doors or walls, moving floors, odd creatures, a world only he can control...
Obviously the Holy Assumption would allow Walter the power to change this world at will, but it also makes sense if we suppose this is a world he creates within his own mind. We have full control over our own imaginations, after all.

Like the fog Silent Hill, the world Henry enters when he goes down the hole appears to be physical, as you said Krist, but it also shows lots of signs of being a mentally created world.

The point about being able to feel pain or die in Walter's world can be explained by the notion that someone who dies in a dream will also die in real life.

So I still feel that it's a valid perspective to see the holes in Henry's room as Malkovich holes. Except that Henry is seeing the darker corners of Walter's mind, a reality fashioned by Walter himself to suit his purpose.

Of course, there are dangers associated with being transported into the mind of...
[spoiler]...a serial killer, and a dead one at that.[/spoiler]