Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 May 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Silent Hill on Blu-ray!

Missing since: 31 Mar 2007
Notes left: 19
I bought Silent Hill on Blu-ray and let me just say it looks amazing!:shock: I really didn't think that there would be that much of a difference between DVD and Blu-ray, but believe me there is a significant difference. I couldn't believe my eyes, everything was so much more visually detailed and crystal clear. You really haven't experienced Silent Hill, until you've watched it on Blu-ray! I highly suggest that every Silent Hill fan pick it up as fast as possible. :D

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Mar 2006
Notes left: 158
Last seen at: Otherside/Nowhere
Well I doubt that it beats the cinema.

Were you watching it from a HD TV or a projector? Must be, 'cause Blu-Ray won't do much good, if your TV can't repeat the resolution on the disc.

I would love to pick it up, but my shitty old tv won't repeat HD and I don't even have a BR player. So not for quite a while won't I posses such things.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Pyramid wrote:
Well I doubt that it beats the cinema.

Were you watching it from a HD TV or a projector? Must be, 'cause Blu-Ray won't do much good, if your TV can't repeat the resolution on the disc.

I would love to pick it up, but my shitty old tv won't repeat HD and I don't even have a BR player. So not for quite a while won't I posses such things.

Yeah, I played the Silent Hill Blu-ray disc in my Playstation 3, using a Acoustic Research Performance Series 6' HDMI cable connected to a Samsung High-Definition 32" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 May 2006
Notes left: 1070
I got the Blu-ray version for Christmas. Haven't bought my ps3 yet but soon will.

Pyramid, how could you say blu-ray doesn't beat the cinema? If you are talking about just being at the movies, fine. But picture quality..... are you serious?

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jul 2004
Notes left: 315
Last seen at: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
How much is a blu-ray player anyway?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Silent_voice wrote:
How much is a blu-ray player anyway?

A stand alone SONY Blue-ray player is $1000.00. However, a SONY Playstation 3 is only $600.00 and it serves as a Blue-ray player, PSX, PS2, PS3, and 60GB Computer. Kind of ironic huh? That's why I get so pissed when people criticize the PS3 and complain about the price. For what your getting in return, the price is a real bargain.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Mar 2004
Notes left: 4987
Last seen at: Pits of Hell
I didn't know the movie was released in blu-ray format. Since I only import stuff from amazon.co.uk I'm going to wait until it is released there (one day maybe...). Blu-ray kicks ass!

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1748
Last seen at: Southeast of Greenwich...somewhere sandy.
I have watched it on Blu-Ray and it is amazing. I will wait to get it on Blu-Ray
though until the Special Extended addition that Gans talked about comes out so
as not to have to buy it twice. Hate doing that.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

emptimass wrote:
I have watched it on Blu-Ray and it is amazing. I will wait to get it on Blu-Ray
though until the Special Extended addition that Gans talked about comes out so
as not to have to buy it twice. Hate doing that.

My throat just dropped into my stomach after reading that! :shock: Does the version you speak of feature cool extras and stuff? My only gripe about the current release, is the fact it doesn't have any of that stuff. It's pretty much limited to the actual movie itself, scene select, and some previews.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 533
Last seen at: Nowhere
Hmm... I didn't know there was any difference in DVD and Blu-Ray quality-wise... I thought that Blu-Ray could just fit a lot more than a DVD can. Apparently I was wrong. I'll have to start buying my movies on Blu-Ray then. :)

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
The extra space is used to store extra information, which high definition video needs. There's a definite increase in quality.

Thing is, I'm nowhere near convinced that Beta-Ray is going to survive as a viable format against HD-DVD, and I'm not buying any movies for either until one of them is eliminated or mainstream players support both formats.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Feb 2006
Notes left: 1444
Last seen at: Californication
>until one of them is eliminated or mainstream players support both formats.
As soon as it mainstreams, either way, I think you'll have a player that will support both formats. Look at XM and Sirius, they're becoming one.

SHHF FAQs | Sig/Avatar Restrictions | Request Avatars and Sigs | SHHF Guidelines

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Apr 2006
Notes left: 64
The darkness shots look great but the foggy world doesn't look as good. Theres noise in scenes ( grainy particles around the colors ) and sometimes you can see compression artifacts, but it still looks great and this one was one of the first batch of blu-ray movies to come out so none of them are perfect. The problem is they squeezed the whole 2 hour movie into a 25gb disc, not good for a long movie in high def. Now Christophe Gans said that both dvd and blu-ray discs were a disaster so expect to see a new remastered blu-ray release when Gans decides to throw the announced "ultimate edition" when Silent Hill 2 is about to come out.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Nov 2006
Notes left: 728
Last seen at: Oslo, Norway
I haven't checked it out yet on Blue-ray, but I have the DVD that came with the Asian special edition and a 37" Plasma HD TV, so what the heck, I might aswell try it. :roll:

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Aug 2005
Notes left: 38
Last seen at: The worlds real Silent Hill (London)
For anyone in the uk, Silent Hill is region free as a blue ray too (I imported mine and its fine on my UK machine)

Shaz

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Aug 2005
Notes left: 283
Last seen at: Canada
If you are unable to get Blue-ray to work for your setup, or don't want to invest in Blue-ray yet (because of format wars), there are other alternatives.

You need a fast PC (3500+ or higher) hooked up to a HDTV (720p or 1080p), then you need to do some google searching for *cough* x264, *cough* Silent.Hill.2006.720p.BluRay.x264-SEPTiC, *cough* :wink:

Needless to say the Silent Hill movie looks great in 720p on my 110" home theatre...until I invest in a Hi-Def player (1080p) which won't be anytime soon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUApYMWbUPA

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Dec 2006
Notes left: 879
Last seen at: Edinburgh, UK
I want a blu-ray player, none of this HD-DVD crap, No offence to anyone supporting HD-DVD, I just prefer Blu-ray cos it has a bigger storage capacity than HD-DVD but anyway back on topic

I would LOVE to see Silent Hill in HD. And i can understand why the Darkness shots look great and the foggy ones don't, that will probably be because the Darkness scenes were filmed in HD while the foggy scenes were filmed in SD.

Either way I still wanna see this on Blu-ray but I wont be getting a Blu-ray player or PS3 any time soon :(

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Aug 2005
Notes left: 283
Last seen at: Canada
Just to clarify, the visual quality of Blu-ray is NOT better than HD-DVD. It has a larger storage capacity but its wasted on an older format (MPEG2) which uses older ways of compression requiring less power. Whereas HD-DVD gets equal quality video using half the space (kind of like XVID vs DVD) using the H264 format.

I'm personally pissed that there is a format war. At least there will be players that play both soon. However this format war has caused piracy :wink: of HI-DEF movies to happen VERY quickly. Let's just say that I have seen :wink: many movies in 1080p in x264 format that don't look any different than their blu-ray original, and these movies fit on ONE dual-layer DVD (8.5gig).

The fog will always look worse than other scenes, not just on Silent Hill, but all movies that have fog or smoky scenes. This includes Saving Private Ryan,etc.... Its hard to convert those types of scenes without some sort of dithering invloved. Having them on film adds more to that.

Also, some people were wondering if the colouring of the fog and dark scenes on the Blue-ray version were the same as they were in the HD 1080 quicktime trailer (because the colour in the trailer was much more bright and visible as compared to the DVD). No the colouring of the movie on Blu-ray is the exact same as the DVD. The quicktime trailer was the stock footage they had before "darkening" the movie, and as a result had more detail than the final version of the movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUApYMWbUPA

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Nov 2006
Notes left: 728
Last seen at: Oslo, Norway
thagerty wrote:
I'm personally pissed that there is a format war. At least there will be players that play both soon.

I think that it's very safe to say that Blu-ray is leading the format war pretty badly, from what I hear the rates are 6 to 1 at the moment. However I can't use that as an entirely valid argument. The source is credible, but i don't see the official numbers.

I don't know how long the current formats will last. But i hope that they last for about 10 years at much.

You should read this thread, it's an interesting read.
http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=126472

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3377
Blu-Ray initially used MPEG 2 but as since switched to H264 and now many exclusive Blu-Ray films do look better than the HD-DVD titles.

Blu-Ray is currently trumping HD-DVD 2 to 1 and recently Blockbuster has begun exclusively supporting Blu-Ray in its stores giving it a massive advantage.

Also the price of Blu-Ray players has fallen. The Sony standalone that was $1000 is now $500. Cheaper ones by other companies will be out. And the Price of the 60 GB PS3 is also now $500 but they've ended production of the 60 GB version so get 'em while they're hot or you'll have to wait till the 80GB drops in price which could happen soon...

The manufacturers of Dual format players that play both are holding out on releasing the players in anticipation of what many believe to be a Blu-Ray win. In any case if you're price conscious those players will be more expensive.