Angela / Eddie

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Knick Knack
Gravedigger

Angela / Eddie

Post by Knick Knack »

Has anybody else ever noticed how Angela is pretty much an inverted version of Eddie, and vice versa?

The most obvious first. Angela is a thin woman with black hair; Eddie is an overweight blonde man.
Angela is first seen outside in a graveyard; Eddie is inside a bathroom.
Angela wears what an old woman would; Eddie dresses like a child.
Angela was abused sexually, Eddie physically.
Angela fights with feelings of wanting to commit suicide; Eddie does the same with his urges to kill other people.

The biggest thing that I noticed, however, was where the two were last seen. Eddie is in a freezing meat locker that resembles the final layer of hell thousands of feet below the streets of Silent Hill, and Angela walks up a flight of burning stairs as if she were ascending into heaven.

I would expect separate characters in a game to be different, of course, but these two people are so exactly opposite in so many ways that there's just no way it could have been unintentional. I used to think that this was evidence that neither of the two existed in the first place; could it be that, or could their differences mean something else entirely?
Droo

Post by Droo »

Good contrast, but how does Angela dress like an old woman?

To me, she dresses like a 19 year old girl who is ashamed of her body and covers as much of it as she can. That and it's cold and foggy.

I never noticed anything horribly odd about her style of dress. Maybe we're just all too used to 19 year old girls dressing like whores and forget that some people dress conservatively.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Knick Knack
Gravedigger

Post by Knick Knack »

::halfsmile:: You've got a point there. I've just never seen, however, a teenage girl in a giant white sweater. I agree that her outfit does show off the fact that she's ashamed of the body she's in, but it also strikes me as something an older person would choose to wear out.

EDIT: It was cold and foggy, yesh, but that didn't seem to stop Eddie. :I
Pandora's XBox
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Pandora's XBox »

This goes along with a theory I had a while back-- long gone into the Abyss now after the forum crash-- about how Eddie and Angela are two sides of a coin, that coin being James's subconscious.

Angela is so guilt-ridden over what she's done that she can never hope to recover. Her only choice is suicide. She represents the side of James that, overwhelmed with guilt and sadness, drives himself into the lake.

Eddie, however, surpresses regret, blames his victims entirely, and continues living-- albeit insanely. This could be the side of James that runs off with Maria / resurrects Mary.
Knick Knack
Gravedigger

Post by Knick Knack »

I was thinking something similar. Both Angela and Eddie would be the extreme ends of some sort of scope with James being right in the center.
Artemis Panthar
Historical Society Historian

Post by Artemis Panthar »

I always considered Angela and Eddie to be kind of like...two different endings to James story. What could happen. Or, as it's been said, two sides of a coin. So naturally they'd be opposite. But it's never been laid out neatly as such :3

Query: What proof do you have that Eddie was abused physically? I don't remember hearing that at all, but it's been a while since I've played. I figured he was mentally/emotionally abused.
Everyday is silent and gray
Droo

Post by Droo »

Yeah, Eddie was most likely just emotionally abused. Thus making another contrast between him and Angie.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
FBA 6100
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by FBA 6100 »

Drewfus wrote:Yeah, Eddie was most likely just emotionally abused. Thus making another contrast between him and Angie.
I thought I could remember him saying the words "beat up", making him physically abused. Either way it is implied by what he says.
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/sven14/Sigs/26ac0108.gif[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Do you know what it does to you, James? When you’re hated, picked on, spit on, just cause of the way you look. After you’ve been laughed at your whole friggin’ life.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Sinweaver
Just Passing Through

Post by Sinweaver »

I just don't see it, sorry. And when Eddie says that he's been picked on and spit on, I seriously doubt people physically walked over to him and spat on him, it's a figure of speech. To be spat on is a form of disrespect, so he means that people disrespected him. So I don't really see how he was "physically" abused.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Have YOU ever been spit on? I have. People did it for the stupidest reason (I was a "freak") and so I don't doubt people would spit on the "fat kid" loner at their school. And you're also completely belitting emotional abuse.

BlueFloyd: Angela was physically and sexually abused by her father.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
FBA 6100
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by FBA 6100 »

the Adversary wrote:Do you know what it does to you, James? When you’re hated, picked on, spit on, just cause of the way you look. After you’ve been laughed at your whole friggin’ life.
Why did you put that in? Anyway, I think that usually where there is a lot of emotional abuse, there has to be some physical too. I mean (for those of you still in school) have you ever seen a kid that everyone picks on who has not been hit or hurt for some reason?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Why did you put that in?
Because you erroneously quoted Eddie as saying he was "beat up."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
FBA 6100
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by FBA 6100 »

That's not the only time Eddie speaks.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

No shit? He never says he was "beat up" though.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Knick Knack
Gravedigger

Post by Knick Knack »

We've got an overweight teenage boy. It's pretty obvious that his tormentors wouldn't just stop at verbal abuse.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Eddie is twenty-three.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
FBA 6100
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by FBA 6100 »

I don't think he just randomly started getting picked on at age 23.
Knick Knack
Gravedigger

Post by Knick Knack »

::nod:: I uh-soom he was a teenager when the abuse began.
Last edited by Knick Knack on 25 Dec 2005, edited 1 time in total.
FBA 6100
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by FBA 6100 »

That or younger.