Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 16 Nov 2019

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: What do you believe causes the shift in Brookhaven?

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 639
Topic.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
Mary.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 639
Could you please be more specific? It would avoid questions like these in the future. For example: how Mary was able to do so and why she did it at that time, etc.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

I've explained myself pretty thoroughly in numerous threads. I would recommend using the search button or, if it's not working, the Quicklinks thread at the top of the page.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Answer: Same causes for the shift in every other area.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

It only shifts one other time: Lakeview Hotel.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
So, Mary.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Dec 2006
Notes left: 708
I might be wrong, but it's because James regained a memory of Mary that he locked away from the whole incident. :?

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 490
That's a really good thought, Nillin.

It's more of a shift in James's subconscious that affects his reality, rather than, say MARY THE GHOST shifting reality. Or the memory of Mary pulling the strings or whatever.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Except that James doesn't remember Mary staying at Brookhaven Hospital. At all. The hospital is even "erased" from his map, while on Heather's it's labeled as it should be. As mentioned above, there are shifts to the [otherside] in two locations: Brookhaven Hospital & Lakeview Hotel. Nowhere else. These two places are also locations Mary spent time at. To say that she has no suasion in its shift seems ludicrous given their significance.

Also note that during both shifts Mary's voice is heard very clearly & distinctly.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
wow,never thought about that. now i know :P

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2007
Notes left: 541
Last seen at: South Carolina, USA
If all the shifts were caused by memories of Mary flashing in his head, wouldn't there have been a shift right after meeting Maria? cause when hes talkin to her, he suddenly remembers a part of that video, when she asks if the park is their only 'special place'.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
I would think that Mary's time spent in both Brookhaven and Lakeview were far greater than that one day spent staring at the water with James...

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2007
Notes left: 541
Last seen at: South Carolina, USA
the memory wasnt those two at the lake, though. he was remembering the video... therefore remembering the hotel. it was just sparked while he was at the lake

RESPECT
 Post subject:

>If all the shifts were caused by memories of Mary flashing in his head
I didn't say anything about "memories of Mary flashing in his head."

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 May 2007
Notes left: 37
Last seen at: In Heather's wildest dreams.
The shift at Brookhaven Hospital happens because of James' encounter with Laura, she says that Mary is still alive when he asks her how she knows her, thus inducing James' urge to block out those thoughts. Because if you notice in the otherworld hospital almost everything is covered with sheets and blocked off, (a real repressing manner).

The shifts happen because James' subconscious mind is repressing his feelings and thoughts and denying or blocking the truth.

So in short James was too close to the truth at that point and Mary was the probable cause of the "shift" so to speak.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

St. Thomas wrote:
Except that James doesn't remember Mary staying at Brookhaven Hospital. At all. The hospital is even "erased" from his map, while on Heather's it's labeled as it should be. As mentioned above, there are shifts to the [otherside] in two locations: Brookhaven Hospital & Lakeview Hotel. Nowhere else. These two places are also locations Mary spent time at. To say that she has no suasion in its shift seems ludicrous given their significance.

Also note that during both shifts Mary's voice is heard very clearly & distinctly.

Our interpretations of it are different, then, that's all.

To me, it's James' subconscious desperately trying to re-patch itself when he gets a smack of reality. (Which would probably be Laura. I could see the battle with the Hangers as being what in internal struggle would have been, if he weren't in Silent Hill to have them manifest.)

Same with Lakeview. He gets a bitchslap of reality, and his subconscious makes the shift from "Oh, I remember sunlit days with my Mary..." to "Or was that something I..."

As for Mary's part, I don't think she's a sentient force guiding James and shifting his reality. I think she plays her part well enough as just being the reason why he's going there. She gets to shape his reality through James' own mind.

But this is just me. I like the idea he can create his own hell with little help.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jul 2005
Notes left: 1421
Last seen at: room 302
Quote:
But this is just me. I like the idea he can create his own hell with little help.

I agree with this.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

>in the otherworld hospital almost everything is covered with sheets and blocked off
Or perhaps because of a pillow. . . .

>He gets a bitchslap of reality,
As mentioned earlier by someone else, he gets a "bitchslap" at Rosewater Park, but nothing happens then--only at the places Mary stayed at for any significant amount of time. According to your theory, anywhere the two visited should have some effect on James' mentality: the Historical Society doesn't "shift," and we know for a fact the two visited there, same with Rosewater Park.

>I don't think she's a sentient force guiding James and shifting his reality.
One word: Flashlight. That entire room, where the flashlight is found, is the embodiment of Mary. Take a closer look at everything in there: her dress, with a flashlight, used to guide James--a direct parallel to the light on Lakeview Hotel's pier, to which he guides a boat to the hotel with, where Mary is "waiting for [him]." Mannequins, used to assemble a fake "person"--or maybe Maria, whom is the construct of Mary's volition. A vanity mirror reversed, preventing any reflection--"Look at me . . . I'm disgusting." The words of a dying woman who's repulsed by her own image. Even a pamphlet that guides James to his other "conclusions," be it to live for himself, commit suicide, or leave with another woman.

All of these things relate specifically to Mary and her character.

>"Or was that something I..."
He only questions himself after he leaves Brookhaven Hospital. Not once while he's inside does he act as though he's received his "bitchslap." He asks himself, "Is this your way of taking. . . ." We all know what he's going to say, and why he would. Even James feels he's being "punished" by Mary for what he's done.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Considering Maria is James' own creation, it's limited as to what she can do to him to surprise

OR-

Flashlight- James' perception of what Mary is to him: the light in his life. He believes she is the one pure, true thing in his life. The best part of her. Instead of the "embodiment of Mary", it could be James' perception of the "embodiment of Mary". The mannequins could be parts of her that are nonetheless there, if not as important, as James sees it. To him, her heart is the most important thing to him. Her essence. The body parts may be the parts of Mary that aren't as crucial. But if you took all those parts, and didn't give them Mary's heart, they would become meaningless, frightening monsters, which may be why the mannequin was in there, behind Mary's dress.

As for the vanity, again, it could be a trait James saw that Mary had. She seemed to be a modest, unflashy person. It would make sense that the mirror is covered, because she didn't preen.

Oh, why else would the mirror be covered? Because mirrors in SH2 are used to reflect a person when they're on that tipping point. When the illusions are stripped away, and only their self is there. The bathroom in the beginning; Angela in the room. Granted James decides to deceive himself after, but I got the impression that his looking into the mirror was him looking into himself, and then choosing to forget. Angela starts to realize her quest is futile. Her mother is nowhere, and she's beginning to remember what happened to her. So, I say again, the mirror is a reflection of the character's self.

Mary's vanity is covered because you aren't looking at MARY. You're looking at a room full of familiar, comfortable impression by a man of a woman he loves.

(I'd have to see that pamphlet to argue it, but again, it could be James' own thoughts.)

Lakeview- he knows she's waiting. The previous bitchslaps weren't enough to actually deter him. He still believes (to some degree) that that beautiful, shining hope is still there. It isn't necessarily Mary beckoning him, it could be James' own projection of what the hotel means to him, of what lies in wait there for him. It's his last hope, and the strongest one.