The Cell and other possible influences for Sh4's storyline.

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Denizen
Just Passing Through

The Cell and other possible influences for Sh4's storyline.

Post by Denizen »

The Cell (2000): Sh4 has been called a ripoff of the Cell (2000), and this is an obvious one. Both involve two characters becoming trapped in a serial killer's personal world, where the killer rules like a king. The Patient/Nurses resemble Stargher's victims. The whole chalk-white, bleached look and all the manniquins are found in both Sh4 and the Cell. Plus, the killer in both has a divided personality: one being a murderous egomanic and the other being an innocent child. Pipes and water and glass walls are prevalent as well.

The Omen: The spears of Void, Gloom, etc seem to have the same effect as the holy daggers of Maggido in the Omen. Both involve each being stabbed into the antagonist in order for them to become vulnerable to harm.

The House of Leaves: With its doorways and impossible architecture, and of course the bottomless staircase.

Troll (1986): Yeah, I know, it was a crappy kid's movie, and I'm embrassed to know about it enough to make the connection. But the plot involves a supernatural creature going from room to room in an apartment building, transforming the residents in each one, so that each will become a new world. The heart of this universe is represented by a colossal monster that has to be impaled with a spear.
Last edited by Denizen on 06 Jun 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Who's called it a rip off? So I can call them a douchenozzle...
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

A lot of Eraserhead influence too.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Xev

Post by Xev »

^GOD I need to see that movie. I need to order it of the web cause i have never seen it for sale anywhere around me.
Troll (1986): Yeah, I know, it was a crappy kid's movie, and I'm embrassed to know about it
haha I used to love that movie when I was a kid.

I think there are allusions to movies, places, books, ect but overall it keeps with the part-theme of Silent Hill IMO. Alessa's nightmare world, Walter's nightmare world.
extreme-nero
Hope House Careworker

Re: The Cell and other possible influences for Sh4's storyli

Post by extreme-nero »

Denizen wrote:The Cell (2000): Sh4 has been called a ripoff of the Cell (2000), and this obvious one. Both involve two characters becoming trapped in a serial killer's personal world, where the killer rules like a king. The Patient/Nurses resemble Stargher's victims. The whole chalk-white, bleached look and all the manniquins are found in both Sh4 and the Cell. Plus, the killer in both has a divided personality: one being a murderous egomanic and the other being an innocent child. Pipes and water and glass walls are prevalent as well.
sounds like a cool movie :D
Last edited by extreme-nero on 01 Jun 2007, edited 2 times in total.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Wow...I didn't know you couldn't use a concept more than once. :roll:
toadstool
Gravedigger

Post by toadstool »

The Cell (2000): Sh4 has been called a ripoff of the Cell (2000), and this obvious one. Both involve two characters becoming trapped in a serial killer's personal world, where the killer rules like a king. The Patient/Nurses resemble Stargher's victims. The whole chalk-white, bleached look and all the manniquins are found in both Sh4 and the Cell. Plus, the killer in both has a divided personality: one being a murderous egomanic and the other being an innocent child. Pipes and water and glass walls are prevalent as well.
it has similiarities, but differences,
here walter was killing cause the cult probably brainwashed him. he read or saw the 21 sacrements, obsessed about what it said, and began the ritual. he was not remorseful
the guy in this movie didnt want to kill, he was abused so fuckin much that it messed with his head..no cultic shit, plus jenifer went in and out of his world by choice, he wasnt sucked in like henry was...
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Plus Silent Hill 4 also has Jennifer Lopez in a more appropriate role as a street whore.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Lol, that is THE most informed post in the thread. :D
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Arima
Just Passing Through

Post by Arima »

it's not the same. in the movie she is in the killers mind.
SH4 guy is in a room and cant get out unless he goes through a hole.
end of story.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Amy wrote:Wow...I didn't know you couldn't use a concept more than once. :roll:
Well, to be fair, if the "concept" is supposed to be a defining characteristic of said work, then other products should not be emulating it, at least, not without giving proper credit. You're a photographer, so imagine if some nameless "ripped off" your work and made a name for himself. And then, when you tell him "HEY!", he smugly responds:

"Wow...I didn't know you couldn't use a concept more than once. :roll:"

This is actually a problem I have with the Silent Hill series. There are homages, and there are inspirations. But being inspired by something doesn't mean you take the concept and modify bits of it here and there to make it look "original," and then not giving credit for the initial concept. That would be plagiarism.

I'm a firm believer of giving credit where it's due, and I don't mean making a little comment in some guidebook about it either.
Denizen
Just Passing Through

Post by Denizen »

Oh, and the Frightners (1996): ghosts, serial killer back from the dead looking to continute racking up victims and curving numbers in their flesh, even a giant embilical worm from hell glimpsed at the very end. As well as the "reaching-into-the-chest-and-stopping-the-heart."
here walter was killing cause the cult probably brainwashed him. he read or saw the 21 sacrements, obsessed about what it said, and began the ritual. he was not remorseful
the guy in this movie didnt want to kill, he was abused so fuckin much that it messed with his head..no cultic shit, plus jenifer went in and out of his world by choice, he wasnt sucked in like henry was...
While it was more subtle in Stargher's case, both seemed to have insanity steming from a "Mom" issue. And near the end of the movie, both characters did become trapped. Also Walter's end boss monster resembles Stargher-King, pale, bald, howling, and even suspended by metal hooks.
Adrasteia
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Adrasteia »

The dude in the end of The Cell was black.

Edit: and the reaching into the chest thing was, I believe, first done in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Remember the creepy priest?
toadstool
Gravedigger

Post by toadstool »

he was white.
his methods were different than walter. walter followed a ceratin process, while the guy killed ,drowned or bleached them, resembling when his mom held him under the water for a long period of time, symbolizing the drowning thing.
Arima
Just Passing Through

Post by Arima »

this has nothing to do with SH4...god talking people is like talking to a wall sometimes..... >.>
btw the movie the cell SUCKS
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I haven't seen The Cell or The Omen, or read House of Leaves. But a lot of the things you mentioned, Denizen, are not unique to those sources you claim SH4 stole them from.
Especially something needing to be impaled by a spear/stake/dagger... are you kidding?

You basically only made a list of a few of the many stories, new or old, that share some concepts. I don't mean to sound rude about it, but this is just what I thought as I read over your points.

I'll agree Sh4 was likely influenced a little by a few things. Most things are. Sometimes even unintentionally; people come up with similar concepts and stories, just as people come up with similar sounding songs.
Denizen
Just Passing Through

Post by Denizen »

phantomess wrote:I haven't seen The Cell or The Omen, or read House of Leaves. But a lot of the things you mentioned, Denizen, are not unique to those sources you claim SH4 stole them from.

I prefer 'influence'. Others have claimed theft and ripoff in reviews of Silent Hill 4. I meant nothing negative about my list from the very beginning. I just played the game and noticed similarities.
phantomess wrote: Especially something needing to be impaled by a spear/stake/dagger... are you kidding?

Minor points. While playing, that scene in the Omen/Troll was the first thing that came to mind.
phantomess wrote: You basically only made a list of a few of the many stories, new or old, that share some concepts.

Got any other concepts you want to add the list? I'm all for them.
phantomess wrote: I don't mean to sound rude about it, but this is just what I thought as I read over your points.

No offense taken. I also hope you didn't take offense either.
I'll agree Sh4 was likely influenced a little by a few things. Most things are. Sometimes even unintentionally; people come up with similar concepts and stories, just as people come up with similar sounding songs.

Agreed. If you enjoyed Silent Hill 4, then The Cell is for you. I noticed there was no topic on it, so I added one.

he was white. .

Black in the last scene, all other times he was bleached white. Understandable confusion.
MisterGrey
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MisterGrey »

Anyone else reminded of the Zodiac Killer case when playing SH4? If you'll recall, the Zodiac Killer believed/said that he had claimed the souls of his victims, and that after his death he would transport to paradise, where his victims would be forced to serve him for all eternity as his slaves. Reminds me quite a bit of Walter's victims being forced to float around his "kingdom."
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

I encourage anyone who liked the isolation aspect of Silent Hill 4 to see Polanski's Tenant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074811/
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
Tobor
Just Passing Through

Post by Tobor »

I LOVE the cell--really good movie.

i never noticed the connection between the two.
There was a hole here, now its gone.