Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 31 Oct 2020

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Living People In Silent Hill/ Other things I don't understan

Missing since: 30 May 2007
Notes left: 2
I am confused. They say that the town is defiantly abadoned when James arrives. But, when he is in the apartments that man gets killed that is sitting in front of the TV. Also how long has Maria been there? This is my first Silent Hill Game and I am new to all of this but I want to learn about it so anyone who can offer any answers or info please do. Also what actually happened. I have heard of them using Centralia PA as the setting. Let me tell you I lived not far from there and have been in town and it is nothing like it. Also are the monsters mutated people? Is is kind of like Resident Evil and the people have an infection/demonically possessed (in this case)? All of these questions plauge me...need answers......thanx

A.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Dec 2006
Notes left: 21
Last seen at: Montreal
Centralia was used foir the movie, and not for it'S look but for the still-burning underground fire.

It's your first time playing through? If so, I recommend you finish the game first. MAny questions will be answered, and many others won't.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Aug 2003
Notes left: 4728
Last seen at: H-Town
You should have a look around the Quick Links, you'll find many topics with prime explanations to just about anything you want to know.
However, to answer your questions briefly: SPOILERS -- The town we see in the game is and alternative reality of the real Silent Hill in which people live their everyday lives without a care in the world. This other reality is formed from the characters subconscious mind -- creating monsters and strange aberrations in the surroundings. The dead people you see are also a creation of either James, Mary, Eddie or Angela. For example the dead person in front of the TV represents James' eminent faith in the hotel room.

You'll learn a lot more if you look through the various Quick Links.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 May 2007
Notes left: 2
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I have beaten it already but only once, so much is still unknown to me. It just you know seems like there is more to it then just their alternate realities. Of course that is completely possible. But, one must ask themself...Why? This town was just normal one day then the next it was an alternate reality? Forgive me and my stubborness. I just feel like there is more. Is it demonic, was the fire the fires of hell, and the monsters the deamons from beneath. Maybe the visions of Mary, Eddie, James, and Angela, are all the same and Silent Hill is just their purgatory. Also any cool things you may have for me to try next time I play it would be great...Thanks

A.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Apr 2007
Notes left: 565
Last seen at: silent hill funeral home
look, my theory is that eddie sees people as somekind of laughing image, like a bully or something. he probably killed all those humans.
anyway, check around the forum for those things..there are everywhere

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Sep 2006
Notes left: 353
Last seen at: U.S.
Dude, just play the game first, trust me, it's really awseome and it's better to figure stuff out on your own. It's a bigger suprise when you figure it all out instead of someone telling you.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Living People In Silent Hill/ Other things I don't under

Missing since: 01 Jun 2007
Notes left: 10
Last seen at: Canada/Ottawa/Barrhaven
Antonio44 wrote:
I am confused. They say that the town is defiantly abadoned when James arrives. But, when he is in the apartments that man gets killed that is sitting in front of the TV. Also how long has Maria been there? This is my first Silent Hill Game and I am new to all of this but I want to learn about it so anyone who can offer any answers or info please do. Also what actually happened. I have heard of them using Centralia PA as the setting. Let me tell you I lived not far from there and have been in town and it is nothing like it. Also are the monsters mutated people? Is is kind of like Resident Evil and the people have an infection/demonically possessed (in this case)? All of these questions plauge me...need answers......thanx

A.

Maria was created (probaby by silent hill) her purpose being to torment James by dying over and over again infront of his eyes...well...more like...you see her alive...then you come back and she is dead >_< And why is James tormented by her death? Because she reminds him of his dead wife Marie.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
He said he already beat the game once.

The town possesses an alternate reality due to it's bloody, violent past, and all of that mental energy just kind've cobbled together into the Otherworld (Alessa gave it one hell of a push though, if you believe that sort of thing. See SH1.) Maria also isn't real. Like the monsters, she's a creation of James' mind. Aside from Maria, though, every other person is real.

And while all this goes on, the real Silent Hill is perfectly normal and alright. Demons have nothing to do with it. All of the evil is from the human mind.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Okay, simple answer: the town is evil. Pure evil. And when you go into the town, it somehows projects your 'issues' into the world, creating the monsters you meet through the game. Look at the monsters, and you'll see they are reflections of James inner darkness. Most are females, for instance, goign back to his issues with his wife. Maria is, likewise, a creation of Silent Hill, born to torment him. The dead humans are Eddie's issues, people laughing at him that he kills in anger. Pyramid Head is James' desire for punishment, after he killed his wife.

It's not quite correct, but it's pretty close whitout going into too many details. It should noted, however, that wether or not people live in the town or not hasn't been answered yet.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
I'd say it's a sure thing that people still live in the town--Henry would travel there for little vacations, Douglas knew of its reputation; the town itself still exists in reality, but there's a darker layer to it that only a few people can see.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
Okay, simple answer: the town is evil. Pure evil.

That's...not true in the slightest. Don't place your own conceptions of good and evil on an inanimate spot of land. Silent Hill as a place, a town, doesn't have any plan to torment people. In fact, if you were to place a moral label on the town, I would argue that it's a force for good. It provides an individual a place to sift through their own subconscious, in a way. Whether the individual then dies under the burden of it or accepts whatever their issues may be and is freed is up to them.

Now, this isn't the case in SH 1 and 3--the otherworld in 1 is a manifested by Alessa's powers, and the creatures represent her suffering. In 3 it's a combination of Claudia's powers (in the mall, for instance) and the influence of Alessa still residing in Heather (for example, the church: the writhing, "living" walls, can be seen as another representation of Alessa's suffering from her burns.) I'm not too sure about the 4th, since I haven't invested much time digging into it, however I think it's formed largely by Walter.

In any case, the otherworld is able to be manipulated by certain individuals, but at its base it is impartial--it serves as a blank canvas upon which the subconscious of the individual is thrown.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Jun 2007
Notes left: 291
Last seen at: Texas
BloodRedLion wrote:

That's...not true in the slightest. Don't place your own conceptions of good and evil on an inanimate spot of land. Silent Hill as a place, a town, doesn't have any plan to torment people. In fact, if you were to place a moral label on the town, I would argue that it's a force for good. It provides an individual a place to sift through their own subconscious, in a way. Whether the individual then dies under the burden of it or accepts whatever their issues may be and is freed is up to them.

Now, this isn't the case in SH 1 and 3--the otherworld in 1 is a manifested by Alessa's powers, and the creatures represent her suffering. In 3 it's a combination of Claudia's powers (in the mall, for instance) and the influence of Alessa still residing in Heather (for example, the church: the writhing, "living" walls, can be seen as another representation of Alessa's suffering from her burns.) I'm not too sure about the 4th, since I haven't invested much time digging into it, however I think it's formed largely by Walter.

In any case, the otherworld is able to be manipulated by certain individuals, but at its base it is impartial--it serves as a blank canvas upon which the subconscious of the individual is thrown.

I would second your assertion that SH4's "Otherworld" comes out of Walter's mind. Most of what we see is a representation of how Walter views the world and how he remembers certain things. The architecture and geography of the building world, for example, is pretty hard to grasp, unless you go into it with the mindset that you're travelling through something formed out of someone's memories. The same goes for the gumheads--I tend to think that they're a manifestation of how Lil' Walt viewed adults as a child. SH4's "Otherworld," as others have pointed out, is akin to the "Inside Vince D'Onofrio's Head" scenes in "The Cell."

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

BloodRedLion wrote:

I would argue that, yes, it is evil. It forces people to face their issues, but it seems more that it want to see them fail. It corrupt Eddie, make Angela go crazy, and may have likewise destroyed James. It also had pretty negative effects on the lives of those in 1, 3 and 4, altough it was more of a tool in those instance.

The best match I can think for Silent Hill is the Harrowings from Wraith: the Oblivion. What should have been a 'push' to go to whatever was after life was twisted and became a torture leading ypou toward Oblivion.

Post subject:

Eddie was corrupted before he ever went to Silent Hill - he killed that dog just to watch it chew its own guts out, remember?

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
>It corrupt Eddie...
...who killed a dog and shot its owner before ever arriving at Silent Hill.

>...make Angela go crazy...
...because she was surely of sound mind when she killed her abusive father.

>and may have likewise destroyed James.
It also may have taught him a valuable lesson and allowed him to move on with his life. The town doesn't care.

Post subject:

Quote:
I would argue that, yes, it is evil. It forces people to face their issues, but it seems more that it want to see them fail. It corrupt Eddie, make Angela go crazy, and may have likewise destroyed James. It also had pretty negative effects on the lives of those in 1, 3 and 4, altough it was more of a tool in those instance.

It doesn't force people to face anything. The person's own subconscious does. The Town just provides visual aid. It doesn't even WANT anything, much less for them to fail. It never destroys people on it's own. Only people's own weaknesses.

All the Otherworld is is a canvas. If you paint a morbid picture on the canvas, you don't call the canvas morbid, you call the PAINTER morbid for painting the picture in the first place.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Can we multiquote? I really don't come here often enough.

AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't force people to face anything. The person's own subconscious does. The Town just provides visual aid. It doesn't even WANT anything, much less for them to fail. It never destroys people on it's own. Only people's own weaknesses.

All the Otherworld is is a canvas. If you paint a morbid picture on the canvas, you don't call the canvas morbid, you call the PAINTER morbid for painting the picture in the first place.

Well, I, personally, really disgree with the Canvas theory. It reflects only the darker parts of one's soul, never the good. To go back to Eddie and Angela: while they weren't exactly perfect outside the town, it worsened considerably their conditions. Eddie, while he did shoot the Dog, felt guilty about it and ran. Angela was abused by her father, killed him, and ran. And both were 'called' by the twon, as they put it. Likewise for James, what about the letter?

I would also argue that anything that can look like Silent Hill does and have the stuff it has crawling through can be nothing but evil.

Post subject:

There was no letter, actually. I'd hate to nitpick but... yeah.

Eddie implies no remorse for his actions - I'd have to look it up but I don't recall him expressing guilt or feelings of regret for killing who and what he killed. He seemed gleeful, happy and proud. Nothing to imply that he felt bad for killing..

I don't think the town is evil, really. I think that nature, good or bad, comes from within the mind of the person. It can be horribly distorted and skewed, yes, but it's only responding to the mind that enters it. It only takes what you give it.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
I would also argue that anything that can look like Silent Hill does and have the stuff it has crawling through can be nothing but evil.

No offense, but it doesn't really matter what you argue in this instance, because it's not factually accurate. The town is not sentient. A plot of land cannot be defined as good or evil.

Well, I, personally, really disgree with the Canvas theory. It reflects only the darker parts of one's soul, never the good. To go back to Eddie and Angela: while they weren't exactly perfect outside the town, it worsened considerably their conditions. Eddie, while he did shoot the Dog, felt guilty about it and ran. Angela was abused by her father, killed him, and ran. And both were 'called' by the twon, as they put it. Likewise for James, what about the letter?

Again, that's not true. Laura doesn't see anything bad in the town, but she's old enough to surely have had some less-than-happy events in her life occur, especially considering that she was in a hospital with some form of illness. But the otherworld doesn't exist for Laura--the town is, for her, just a town.

No, it's never Happy Fun Time World, but then again, the only people we've seen in the games are people who are seriously troubled--their own version of the Otherworld is bound to show up as something dark and morbid.

The closest thing to evil that there is in the Silent Hill series is Dahlia, since she didn't really believe in what she was doing and had no interest in the salvation of mankind, she was largely just seeking power.

Claudia's certainly not evil; she truly believed that what she was doing was right and just, however sordid and misguided she was.

The basic point is the town isn't evil. If you have to think of it as such to enjoy the game, then, obviously, go ahead and do so. But don't try to put it out there as fact. Because it's not.

Post subject:

Quote:
Again, that's not true. Laura doesn't see anything bad in the town, but she's old enough to surely have had some less-than-happy events in her life occur, especially considering that she was in a hospital with some form of illness. But the otherworld doesn't exist for Laura--the town is, for her, just a town.

Laura is in Otherworld, but it's simply empty, for her, a reflection of her lonliness.

Quote:
No, it's never Happy Fun Time World, but then again, the only people we've seen in the games are people who are seriously troubled--their own version of the Otherworld is bound to show up as something dark and morbid.

That's not true. Namely "Furthermore, he is happy there."

Quote:
Eddie implies no remorse for his actions - I'd have to look it up but I don't recall him expressing guilt or feelings of regret for killing who and what he killed. He seemed gleeful, happy and proud. Nothing to imply that he felt bad for killing..

Sociopathy.

Quote:
Well, I, personally, really disgree with the Canvas theory.

It's not really a theory, given what we KNOW.

Quote:
To go back to Eddie and Angela: while they weren't exactly perfect outside the town, it worsened considerably their conditions. Eddie, while he did shoot the Dog, felt guilty about it and ran. Angela was abused by her father, killed him, and ran. And both were 'called' by the twon, as they put it. Likewise for James, what about the letter?

Eddie didn't feel guilty. He stopped to watch the dog chew it's guts out and left only because he didn't want to get in trouble. Likewise, Angela came to the town to kill her mother. I wouldn't say that the town worsened their conditions, but only shattered their delusions and made them see their real ugliness, the same with James. The first step to recovery is realizing the problem is there.

Quote:

The Otherworld doesn't have a consciousness, will, agenda, or even influence on the people who come within it. All of it's power, form, function, and manifestation comes from the mind of the person in it. If the Otherworld seems evil, it's only because the darkness in the person is strongest.