Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Nov 2019

Post subject: Visceral

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11979
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
On a whim, I recently played through the Silent Hill series again, and I finally realized what makes SH1 so special.

I find it to be a whole lot more visceral and nasty than 2-4. Yes, 2-4 certainly had their nasty moments, but there's just something about SH1 that makes it almost as oppressive as old 70s horror movies.

From the environments, to the subject matter, to the audios and visuals, everything in SH1 can still make me uneasy, six years later. Anybody else find this?

I place alot of credit for this on the audio and visual elements of SH1. SH2, 3, and 4 had glossier graphics and more melodic music. SH1 had dingy, muddy graphics and an absolutely unpleasant soundtrack, which I feel contributed greatly to the overall feel of it. Don't get me wrong, I love how SH2-4 looked and sounded (especially SH2), but I think by glossing it up, it lost a little something that the first had.

Perhaps in SH5, Konami should NOT take full advantage of the next-gen capabilities, and make something wonderfully awful?

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
For pure viscera, SH3 is king. I love how nasty the environments are.

I think the real element is, as you said, the soundtrack.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Feb 2005
Notes left: 772
Last seen at: On The Internet
yeah, nothing can beat that shit that grew outta the sink, and the moving walls.

Post subject:

And the absolute entirety of Brookhaven Hospital's Otherside. It looks like the inside of Satan's asshole.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Feb 2005
Notes left: 772
Last seen at: On The Internet
amen, brother, dont i know it!

Post subject:

See, I didn't find SH3 as appalling as SH1, mainly because the graphics were too good for a game of it's kind.

I found SH3 just all around appalling, but that's an entirely different topic.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post subject:

Drewfus wrote:
See, I didn't find SH3 as appalling as SH1, mainly because the graphics were too good for a game of it's kind.

I found SH3 just all around appalling, but that's an entirely different topic.

I know, but you can't help it.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2003
Notes left: 837
Last seen at: Pennsylvania
I agree with you, Drew, 100%.

They especially need to eliminate lyrical soundtracks.

Post subject:

As much as I love the lyrical music of SH (at least the ones McGlynn did. Romersa.....eep....) I think they should be scaled down. Opening and ending themes only, if that. Having a vocal song during a cut scene is distracting and feels out of place, no matter how good the song is.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Aug 2005
Notes left: 157
Last seen at: Reading, PA
Romersa ruined that song in my opinion.

I agree with Drewfus, Silent Hill one is the most visceral and nasty of the four. The whole game feels very claustrophobic and oppressive. All within an amazing atmosphere. I feel that none of the games after it have been able to as accurately capture the feeling created in SH1. I think it can be attributed to Kejichiro Toyama moving on to other projects after SH1. He, in my opinion, was the mastermind behind the horror and atmosphere of Silent Hill. Not that his predecessors haven't done wonderfully. But I don't think we will ever see a Silent Hill on the caliber of SH1 again without his supervision.

If he were to come back to KCET however...

I might crap out of my mouth.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Visceral

Missing since: 16 Mar 2005
Notes left: 944
Last seen at: Mendoza City, Argentina
Drewfus wrote:
From the environments, to the subject matter, to the audios and visuals, everything in SH1 can still make me uneasy, six years later. Anybody else find this?

Hell yeah! :P

Drewfus wrote:
I find it to be a whole lot more visceral and nasty than 2-4. Yes, 2-4 certainly had their nasty moments, but there's just something about SH1 that makes it almost as oppressive as old 70s horror movies.

I place alot of credit for this on the audio and visual elements of SH1. SH2, 3, and 4 had glossier graphics and more melodic music. SH1 had dingy, muddy graphics and an absolutely unpleasant soundtrack, which I feel contributed greatly to the overall feel of it. Don't get me wrong, I love how SH2-4 looked and sounded (especially SH2), but I think by glossing it up, it lost a little something that the first had.

I totally agree with you Drew! Long life to SH1!

Post subject:

I notice we also haven't seen child-like monsters since SH1. Those little buggers certainly showed the ugly side of humanity.

Post subject:

We did, sort of. The baby-twins from SH4...

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Oct 2004
Notes left: 365
Last seen at: Toluca Lake
For me, I always found SH 1 to be scarier because of its graphics. In these newer games you have SO MANY color and shades and what not. That pallete is pretty huge and realistic. In the first one it was all pixels and when there was darkness it was dark. I don't know if I am describing it well enough. The controls were stiffer and harder to move naturally like SH 3. It is like the original Quake compared to Doom 3. Quake just always seemed freakier to me compared to Doom 3's "realistic" graphics.

Anyone get what I said or agree? lol, I am obviously not a writter.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Aug 2005
Notes left: 157
Last seen at: Reading, PA
I get what you are trying to say and I agree. SH1 is much more claustrophobic than the other games because of the technological limitations of the PS1. The camera itself contributes to the feeling of not being able to see exactly what is coming after you, which enhances the paranoia. Harry controls like a boat which is certainly a complaint shared by many, but it makes me wonder if the developers intentionally designed it that way to up the scare factor. I know there have been many times when I have been playing and I accidentally throw Harry into the wall of a inhabited room. Part of the scare is trying frantically to get him out of harms way before he is attacked. It almost seems that the lack of refinement in SH1 contributes further to the feeling of near helplessness and the horror of the game.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Heh, that is exactly what I mean, especially with the controls.

Post subject:

I agree with you, that SH1 is the scariest, but don't tell me if they did a remake of SH1 for XBOX360 and PS3 you'd ever pick up that PS1 controller again... Oh how I wish they would remake the first one.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

In a lot of ways that would be nice.

Post subject:

alone in the town wrote:
We did, sort of. The baby-twins from SH4...

Those were different, though. They were Walter's victims, and they fight like animals, to protect themselves. They're sympathetic. The children in SH1, on the other hand, are Alessa's tormentors. They're mean, spiteful little beasts that worry you and pull at you and won't stop coming, no matter how far you run, for no reason other than the fact that you're there. They're a testament to how innocence isn't always measured out in years, and the stupid, feral cruelty that some kids can be so good at.

no, i don't have issues. shut up. shut up! MOM! THEY'RE LAUGHING AT ME AGAIN!

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Oct 2003
Notes left: 5534
Last seen at: Room 311, making a noise complaint
Most people found SH1 and SH3 scary,but I didn't.The only Silent Hill game to scare me is SH2.I feel that Silent Hill 1 is special though in the fact that it has blood and gore,but it doesn't over use them like most horror games *cough*Silent Hill 3*cough*.It's a great game,but I still think it was surpassed in everyway by Silent Hill 2.