It is currently 31 Oct 2020

What do you think?
Personal Hell 50%  50%  [ 38 ]
Actual Town 24%  24%  [ 18 ]
Mirror Town 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Other (if Other specify in your post) 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 76

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: The State of the Town Itself?

Missing since: 09 Nov 2007
Notes left: 5
As in the letter written by Mary to James, they had obviously spent many happy memories in the town, but when he returns, it's filled with hellish monsters and unstable people. So, is he really in the town, or is this battle taking place in his mind? Creating an alternate universe where he returns to the town which has changed darkly just as he has.

I suppose this question answer could be something based on self, how you interprate it, but perhaps there is evidence to suggest something strongly one way or another?

How each person see's this town does seem to have to do with a "personal hell" but not all the other people lost in this town seem to be reflections of James, sometimes they have a personality all their own. Is there a way, for the disturbed to step into an alternate reality? Is Silent Hill such a nexxus of demonic energy that it exists in two dimensions? Drawing the conflicted into its otherside? Are all of these characters really different people entirely, who only reflect James because they are like him, tortured and susceptiple to the call of Silent Hill?

Remember the very beginning of the game, the very start, as James looks at his reflection? Was he drawn into the mirror? His soul, projected into this alter to face it's demons? Frequently through the game, you can save at mysterious Red Objects, are these more mirrors? Does the action of 'Loading' the recounting of his astral projection? At the 'Load screen' you see Jame's face staring back at you from the red, his body? Still in that bathroom gazing into the mirror?

What do you think? The actual town, Jame's personal hell, or some otherworldly version of the town that appears to people like James, people who are also tormented?

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Sep 2007
Notes left: 847
Last seen at: alchemilia
It is definately a personal hell. the town itself molds to what the person makes it.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2007
Notes left: 113
Last seen at: Cali, Colombia
its personal hell, the caracthers see his owns altern realitys.

[img]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/larcont/CopiadelarcontFIX.jpg[/img]

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2006
Notes left: 552
Last seen at: Wish I knew
It's a real town, but depending on the individual, a personalized hell filled with horrific creatures.

You have the cloudy, foggy, abandoned town (night included) but you also have the Otherworld Silent Hill which can transform almost instantly.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Oct 2007
Notes left: 84
Personal. Amazing though. What if the world could change before your eyes? What if your deepest thoughts controlled your sight? What if bambi's mom never died?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Other. Silent Hill was built on an area that possesses a mystical power (described as "sacred", but I believe it's neither divine or demonic), that allows people to create alternate realities built from the contents of their mind. It's not a Personal Hell, however, since there are testimonies of people who made Happy Otherworlds.

We get negative versions of the Otherworld because a happy paradise wouldn't be any fun as a survival horror game..

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Nov 2007
Notes left: 211
Last seen at: London
i would agree with the majority, it is there own personal hell. i think its an ideal way to encapsulate the town itself. As the personal refers to sh known as a "retreat" and personal could also mean on your own, thus bringing the element of "isolation" which is clearly a solid theme in sh2. "Hell" people would generally agree holds its foundations on evil (people have different interpretations of details of what hell could consist). However i would believe hell is based on what a person has done and its very individual as one mans hell could be anothers heaven, like sh (one of the reasons i like it so), it brings up peoples demons and makes them in the most vile unforgiving way, thus the combination of the two words "personal and hell" fits perfectly into how i would describe silent hill.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jun 2007
Notes left: 248
Last seen at: Brookhaven hospital
Personal hell.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 May 2006
Notes left: 281
Last seen at: Philly, Pa.
I chose "personal Hell" as well. James, Angela, & Eddie all saw 3 different realities while in Silent Hill.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 May 2007
Notes left: 1025
AuraTwilight wrote:
Other. Silent Hill was built on an area that possesses a mystical power (described as "sacred", but I believe it's neither divine or demonic), that allows people to create alternate realities built from the contents of their mind. It's not a Personal Hell, however, since there are testimonies of people who made Happy Otherworlds.

We get negative versions of the Otherworld because a happy paradise wouldn't be any fun as a survival horror game..

I'm with ya on this one. I used to think that everyone who entered SH experienced a "personal hell", but then someone told me basically what you just said. Thanks for that, JuriDawn :) . I would call SH a "special place" for each person. That is, unless you're caught up in someone elses otherworld. :wink:

EDIT: Im not gonna make a new post for this, since it's more or less an addition. I'll say that the otherworld power of SH forms around the desires of the person. It is James' deep down desire to be punished for what he has done. A certain famous line before the final dual PH fight sums this up. In absolutely no way is the town punishing James: James is the ultimate punisher. The town only grants that wish of self punishment.

Last edited by CursedxDoom on 15 Nov 2007, edited 1 time in total.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
It's not a personal hell. You're all right in saying that the "otherside" can morph itself based on the individual, but as I and many others have said numerous times before, neither Silent Hill nor its latent power is a malevolent entity out to cause pain and suffering. Silent Hill as a series is pretty far away from a "good v. evil" conflict one could get. To construe it as such is to miss the point of pretty much every game.

Also, it is a real town. We've just never seen the "actual" Silent Hill.

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2006
Notes left: 1775
Last seen at: Rhode Island
Personal Hell of course.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2007
Notes left: 1196
Last seen at: Night Springs
I too choose Personal Hell since everyone sees it differently for their own reasons.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Dec 2006
Notes left: 821
Last seen at: Blackpool UK
Its a normal town, with an "Otherworld"

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2006
Notes left: 1775
Last seen at: Rhode Island
...but that "otherworld" is derived from other people's extreme feelings/thoughts.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Dec 2006
Notes left: 821
Last seen at: Blackpool UK
Aye, but that part isnt what the town looks like in our Reality

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
...this poll is ludicrous. People can think it's a personal hell if they like, but the fact is they're wrong.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Sep 2007
Notes left: 847
Last seen at: alchemilia
BloodRedLion wrote:
...this poll is ludicrous. People can think it's a personal hell if they like, but the fact is they're wrong.

opinionish aintcha? That is the idea of a poll, to see what everyone else thinks. How do you know that you are not wrong? Have you been there and seen roses and daisies and puppies with children playing fetch?

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
No, but loads of characters have. It's a canonical fact that the Otherworld is what you make of it, good OR bad.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Feb 2005
Notes left: 88
I think it is a mixture of a lot of things, the personal is probably the most dominant force but I think that the otherworld play a part to and the real world because James has emotional attachments and kinda works like a base for the otherworld.