Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Nov 2019

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Monster discussion *spoilers*

Missing since: 12 Jan 2007
Notes left: 1196
Last seen at: Night Springs
We seem to know what most of the monsters Travis encounters represent such as Carrion being a memory of all the roadkill Travis encountered, Twoback=sexual anxiety etc. However what do the Ariel, Invisible monsters ( I see them referred to as Remnants or Halos, Caliban and the Butcher represent?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Jan 2004
Notes left: 2965
Last seen at: Moon base #25
http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13836

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Apr 2006
Notes left: 916
Last seen at: Zanesville Ohio
Well I believe that The Butcher represents Travis's [spoiler]Dark side[/spoiler], his guilty side. Or rather the guilt that's built up in his subconscious, manifested itself as the Butcher to Travis. Just like PH was manifested by James.. as a punisher to himself, I believe the Butcher is manifested by Travis. To punish himself subconsciously for whatever he may have done in his [spoiler]past. [/spoiler]

Post subject:

You know what, i think that weather you looked at the Pryamid head picture at Alessa's or not, its one of the influences for travis manifesting The Butcher.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

I agree, very well could be it. :D

Post subject:

2nd gig wrote:
You know what, i think that weather you looked at the Pryamid head picture at Alessa's or not, its one of the influences for travis manifesting The Butcher.

This is a possibility, maybe he manefested it differently due to him running by the painting. Or maybe the painting was warped from the fire?

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

that could be.. because the whole place was up in flames.. and if it was warped from flames.. then that would distort the image a bit.

Post subject:

David01 wrote:
that could be.. because the whole place was up in flames.. and if it was warped from flames.. then that would distort the image a bit.

^Exactly thats why I think that Butcher is just a distorted PH

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

very good theory lostkitsune, I agree totally. I just hope that everyone else see's the same similarities ;) :wink:

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Aug 2006
Notes left: 62
Let's see. Much of the monsters are just redone versions of ones from Sh2.

Nurses: reference to the movie/Sh2. Alessa's fear of nurses. Perhaps Travis's sexual anxiety.

Straight-Jacket: reference to the movie/Sh2. Mom's confinement to the sanitarium. Travis' doubts about his own sanity.

Carrion: Road kill that Travis has seen and felt sorry for. Possibly the buffalo hide used during the Tempest Play.

Two-Back: Slezy hotel, couples having sex. Maybe even Travis' parents having sex, and thus conceving Travis, bringing him into this horrible world of pain.

Demon: Alessa's nightmare about not touching the Flauros, nightmare about the God, possibly unrelated demon confined to the Flauros, secret weapon of the cult's perhaps.

Caliban, Ariel, Butcher, Memory of Mom and Dad, already explained.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jun 2008
Notes left: 14
Last seen at: Otherworld
I've always thought the Nurses spawned both from Alessa's fear of them and Travis' dislike and distrust.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Right behind you
The Nurses are just a favorite monster. If we must explain them though, it could definitely be Travis' fear or dislike of them. And their sexual costumes could be another reference to sexual frustration.

I don't think Alessa has much of any influence on the world that Travis sees, as it's been stated that SH1 was really the first time she did that, and that is what helped make the town a "beacon" or "prison" for lost souls. While these "facts" are up to change at any moment by whatever the current developer wants to do with the established story line, as we currently know it, there was no indication of Alessa's use of her power to directly control the otherworld other than projecting herself.

The Two-back is probably more a reference to Travis' lack of sex or desire for it than his parents... Of course, walking in on your parents could emotionally scar you for life... The Straightjackets are also brought back as a favorite monster from SH2, though they have relevance to Travis too. Perhaps the town only has a certain set stock of creature to represent different problems in the protagonists. Or maybe the team was trying to make a buck and got lazy on monster design, believing they couldn't out do what Team Silent did with SH2, which was clearly the most popular game of the series. Seems like they really wanted to cash in on that aspect of things.

=====================================================

Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
Quote:
The Two-back is probably more a reference to Travis' lack of sex or desire for it than his parents... Of course, walking in on your parents could emotionally scar you for life...

I LOVE this explaination! THANK YOU!! :mrgreen:

Quote:
Carrion: Road kill that Travis has seen and felt sorry for. Possibly the buffalo hide used during the Tempest Play.

I honestly had no clue that Travis had felt sorry for them. :oops:
I thought that he really didn't care at all.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
I don't think Alessa has much of any influence on the world that Travis sees, as it's been stated that SH1 was really the first time she did that, and that is what helped make the town a "beacon" or "prison" for lost souls. While these "facts" are up to change at any moment by whatever the current developer wants to do with the established story line, as we currently know it, there was no indication of Alessa's use of her power to directly control the otherworld other than projecting herself.

Do keep in mind that Alessa did create the world Travis saw, and the statement about SH1 being her first was made pre-0rigins and thus is retconned. Plus, almost the entire damn Theatre is based on Alessa's mind, I'm sure the hospital is reasonably influenced, as well.

Quote:
Perhaps the town only has a certain set stock of creature to represent different problems in the protagonists.

I wouldn't say that, but perhaps it utilizes the Collective Unconsciousness. Similar problems pose similar shapes and archetypes. It recycles stuff if it's already been done.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
I agree with Aura. Pretty much the entire theatre was based off of Alessa's manifestations and it wouldn't be a stretch in the least to say she affected the hospital as well. It appears that 0 is a mishmash of Travis' own personal demons and Alessa's manifestations.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1482
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
To make Auras first statement clear to everyone, we could put the places in this order:

Hospital - Alessa's manifestations
Sanitarium - Travis' manifestations
Theatre - Alessa's manifestations
Motel - Travis' manifestations
Nowhere - Alessa?

I don't see the reason why they did this. I personally think this game would've been awesome if they removed everything with Alessa and had the plot centered around Travis, because he has a kickass story that could be evolved even more.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Jonipoon has it right, and I do agree. Travis+.

Plus, I really didn't like the whole "LOL THERES A DEMON IN TEH FLAUROS" thing. I would've rather kept the original interpretation of Cheryl being born from Alessa's own badass powers.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Jul 2006
Notes left: 60
Last seen at: The Netherlands.
angelofROOM302 wrote:
I honestly had no clue that Travis had felt sorry for them. :oops:
I thought that he really didn't care at all.

He makes some random comments about how he feels sorry for the animals that were taxidermied, or that he feels uncomfortable around them.

I have the worst memory ever, I swear. I'm just going to borrow this game and my friend's PSP in the meantime so I can have this game as well-memorised as the others.